Turbo upgrade

Mox32r

• Member For: 1y 2m 22d

OK seriously now. Is there anything you can upgrade these days that doesn't in turn need everything attached to it either modified or changed???? Just installed the pulsar 3584 gen 2 and there is no way any pipe work will connect to it. How are you supposed to connect it to a filter when it's only like 3inches away from the power steering pump.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 17d

well, it's a turbocharger, of course you need to change some stuff as it's bigger than the OEM one... If you got one that fitted into the OEM housings, then it would have probably fit (maybe not other connections like water/oil/intake etc).

Plenty of stuff does "bolt in" in the way you're describing..

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 29d
16 minutes ago, Mox32r said:

How are you supposed to connect it to a filter when it's only like 3inches away from the power steering pump.

45 degree 4 inch silicone, 45 degree 4 inch ali pipe, 4 inch air filter, relocate battery under driver side headlight. There's kits available or make it yourself.

Yeh I got the antz kit but realised I need to changed the intercooler asweell so it doesn't have both pipes on the driver side. And maybe cutting the 45 way down might work I guess...

38 minutes ago, k31th said:

well, it's a turbocharger, of course you need to change some stuff as it's bigger than the OEM one... If you got one that fitted into the OEM housings, then it would have probably fit (maybe not other connections like water/oil/intake etc).

Plenty of stuff does "bolt in" in the way you're describing..

Yeh I know, I know. Just frustrated because I guess nobody has upgraded a turbo and left the factory style intercooler. It just impossible for it to work like that.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Post a picture so we can see what you're talking about. Although it might seem difficult, it's a fairly simple process to getting this stuff to work. There's enough brain power on this forum to do nearly anything, a pipe install will be a breeze.

That's with the supplied 45. Although I didn't get the 4"-4" just the supplied 3-4 as I thought I was going to do the battery relocation before I did the turbo. I guess Cutting the 45 back towards the turbo will work, but the return intercooler pipe faces that spot. I feel my choices would be make this work, which would be getting an intercooler that exits on the passenger side and preferably a throttle body relocation to not have to Crossover the engine at all, or put the stocker back on after I rebuild it
Screenshot_20230331_182507_Gallery.thumb.jpg.4e4b75952007520dcc934c6333e83c04.jpg

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Do you live in an area where you could get away with using a turbo guard or something like it? That will have it sorted for now until you buy the correct parts to make it all work. I don't recommend chopping up stuff you've already bought, you'll need it later

You don't need to relocate the TB, Plazmaman do a pipe kit or whole ass intercooler kits to suit the stock location.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 17d

you were thinking to ugprade the stock turbo to a bigger one, but didn't think it'd cost you a fair bit of money? yikes... either you're a bit lacking in knowledge of how much upgrading a turbo changes things, or you were sold up the river by somebody selling you a "dream".

Either way, these cars go seriously hard maxing out the OEM turbocharger anyway.