Fg turbo indicators

Jayden7676

• Member For: 1y 11m 15d

So all has been well since getting the car finally running right ... been a few days parked up in the drive way went to take it out for a weekend boost. And noticed my indicator left side was on when I turned key to acc or turned it over , it won't turn off ... all the indicator lights are working fine it just won't turn of . Now the fg doesn't have a flasher relay it's a built in thing to the speedo cluster , correct if I'm wrong there . But is this a simple fix ? I tried a new cluster of a g6e turbo and solved the issue indicators working fine as they should but it's immobilized .. so swaped back to My Orinial one . But what I'm more or less asking is how do I fix the issue ? New cluster how do I program? Or anyone in nz I can speak too about fixing the broken cluster ? Asked around and they have no idea...

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 8d

To use the new cluster you'll need to re link the pats security. Use Forscan with an extended license and a decent cable like obdlink mx. Couple of clicks and you'll be away. 

I haven't pulled a cluster apart to see if it's a relay or solid state. I'm sure with a wiring  diagram you could chase the traces back on the board from the connector and work out if it's a relay or not. RS Components will likely have the part you need. Just hit it with the soldering iron. 

Failing all of that, any ford dealership should be able to get you going with a cluster reprogram.

• Like 1

• Member For: 1y 11m 15d

Thanks bud aprecated , will go into ford on Tuesday and see if they can reprogram the new cluster think best I can do in my town is fiar view motors mainly a Ford shop  , and been struggling to find a good circuit board diagram for the fg cluster should be easy to diagnose and replace if I had the diagram.  

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 29d

Workshop manual 417-01 Exterior Lighting has a symptom chart for the turn signals, one of them is "turn signal are always on".

It states the source is either multifunction switch or cluster. It says to do "PinPoint Test B" which a testing strategy for low beams... Bit odd but I'm guessing its to verify if the your stalk is working properly. 

This test will eventually lead you to 211-05 Steering Column Switches, in this document is detailed instructions on testing the stalks, and how to replace them if you need to.

For your case @Jayden7676 it seems more like a cluster problem if it works with another cluster, judging by the fact it worked with a different cluster.

This is odd though, and there isn't really anything on the board you can replace that would fix the issue.

As someone who has taken apart the cluster, I am almost certain that the cluster is purely sending control signals to something else, like the BEM or something, to control the indicators. Something in the loop is responsible for current sensing as this is how the car checks for blown bulbs. In any case, no relays (ss or conventional) are present on the cluster PCB, and no MOSFETS (as far as I can tell) are used for switching the indicators

Kept the above in for reference as I continue my research into this...

The cluster takes 2 inputs (L and R) for indictors, and has 2 outputs for indicators. After reviewing the pinout in 413-01 and comparing with my image of the cluster, 4B and 8B (pinouts shown in the document) go to a beefy IC, my guess is its a 2CH MOSFET that is acting as the high side switch because it has control pins coming from the MCU. 

Here is a photo of the cluster if you're interested. Top left of the revs stepper motor is the (likely) MOSFET used to switch the indicators.

@Danger_bear this probably applies to you too given your other thread.

For you, I'd recommend following along the pinpoint test B to see if its your stalk causing the issues. Following that, it'd be the cluster causing the issue

I have posted in a previous thread a google drive link to all the workshop manuals I have stored that will be of great help to you both.

I think I need to put this somewhere else lol, it can be hard to find sometimes.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 4m 9d

Good info , Wish I had found this the other week when looking. 2008 G6E with the same left indicators staying on issue.

Ford dealer diagnosed and replaced the stalk assembly. The vehicle was picked up and the 5min drive home was fine and parked for the night.

Next morning start up same issue with left indicator , Left the car for the day and started it the following day and everything was fine again.

Dash cluster might be next on the list as it did blank out and not function for a day a fortnight earlier.