External Cooler On Zf

fordomatic1

• Member For: 11y 1m 22d

Now I know this has been covered a million times but there is no definitive answer.

In a cold climate will an external cooler effect the ZF because of its need for a high running temperature? Basically I want to fit one but I am worried it will cause damage here in ACT in the winter while it warms up. I am not happy to keep fitting a new heat exchanger as they can go at any time regardless if they are new or not. As my car is a daily im not really interested in paying $1000 fitted for the PWR option.

My car will only have 275RWKW once it's tuned, and it wont be tuned higher as its the MRS car.

Cheers, Fordo

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 29d

Rock and a hard place

Yes cold trans fluid is not ideal

Yes pwr is expensive

Yes pwr is really the only SAFE option

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 6m 10d

By not being front mounted means it has less airflow to cool down so actually works more like a heat exchanger than a cooler?

I was thinking about mounting my cooler behind the foggy and leaving the foggy in so it still warms up okay.

• Member For: 14y 10m 14d

you'd be supprise in how much air flows underneath, plus I've had no complaints with any gear box overheating issues even after events like power play/cruise where most of the time your hard on the throttle, we have a customer that only dose circuit work & he is coming in to get a cooler fitted we will be monitoring that one & seeing how it performs after each session, in he's case he has the same ventalation to the front brakes as the bute utes do through the fog lights...

but we will see..

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 6m 10d

I think the OP's issue (and mine) joe is by bypassing the heat exchanger we want to still get the trans up to normal operating temp but worried that by just using an external cooler the temps won't get up (or soon enough) for everyday driving, that's why I was thinking about putting mine behind a foggy and then If I track it I'll just take out the foggy

• Like 1