JJ_Phantom Member 208 Member For: 23y 1m 10d Location: ACT Posted 12/01/04 01:00 AM Posted 12/01/04 01:00 AM You have clearly demonstrated, in the short time you have been a member, that you have issues with law enforcement that you just cant get over. I must apologise for the fact that I have only been a member for a short time.I wouldn't say have any real issues with law enforcement. In my years of driving I have not been caught speeding (touchwood), dangerously driving, drink driving, etc. I have never recieved a parking ticket (ok there was one in NZ on holiday - but I got away with that). Away from the roads - the only dealing I have had with police was when I was a teenager and was told to turn music down at a party - no big deal.What I have an issue with is the 'holier than god' attitude that some police officers seem to have. It's a tough job - yes. But it's not the only tough job in the world. You are intitled to your opinions - - but other people are also to theirs as well. Not everyone believes that so much attention should be put into speeding fines, not everyone thinks that Summernats should be banned because of a few nobs.
Velvet Glove Team Blueprint Member 532 Member For: 23y 5m 19d Posted 12/01/04 04:46 AM Author Posted 12/01/04 04:46 AM 'Holier than god' (I think you mean holier than thou) attitude ?? If I displayed that then the volume and consistency of PMs I receive asking me law enforcement qs doesn't quite ring true.Everyone is entitled (correct spelling) to their opinion. Of course they are. Your opinion differs to mine mayhaps. I can deal with that, seems like you are the one with the intolerance to difference.My job is tough. But so are most jobs, and I would suggest many tougher than mine. But before you continue with your baseless rhetoric regarding road safety walk a mile in the shoes of what someone who may be considered in some circles an expert in road safety (I.e. a cop). You can rant and rave all you like about too much attention being put into speeding fines. Explain that to the 8yo boy who no longer has a a father after his prang at Geary's Gap on the way home from the Nats.I respect and encourage your opinion. Perhaps you should chose to argue and discuss a point with fact, not the invective that you issue quite regularly. Look at the tone of my posts, then look at yours
dswiders Member 398 Member For: 22y 10m 4d Gender: Male Location: Boronia, Vic Posted 12/01/04 05:14 AM Posted 12/01/04 05:14 AM Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth,The road is for everyone to use, and as such road safety must be respected.I agree that in some situations the speed limits seem too slow, but that's the rule, you need to live with it.If people are unable to stick within the limits, then try cruse control, that's what its there for..... to help us keep our licenses and therefore keep your cars on the road.Daniel
OwnaXR6T Member 1,519 Member For: 23y 10m Location: Sydney Australia Posted 12/01/04 06:35 AM Posted 12/01/04 06:35 AM Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth,The road is for everyone to use, and as such road safety must be respected.I agree that in some situations the speed limits seem too slow, but that's the rule, you need to live with it.If people are unable to stick within the limits, then try cruse control, that's what its there for..... to help us keep our licenses and therefore keep your cars on the road.Daniel Living with it is just to hard
NT TURBO Member 1,128 Member For: 23y 6m 15d Gender: Male Location: Darwin NT Posted 12/01/04 10:16 AM Posted 12/01/04 10:16 AM So if you ban the summernats we save 2 lives if we ban Cristmas we wouldve saved 75 is all I was saying.
NT TURBO Member 1,128 Member For: 23y 6m 15d Gender: Male Location: Darwin NT Posted 12/01/04 10:18 AM Posted 12/01/04 10:18 AM Like that is what you're saying isnt it, you dont want summernats??
HIPWRED Member 68 Member For: 22y 10m 1d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane, Australia Posted 29/01/04 03:13 PM Posted 29/01/04 03:13 PM What I'd like explained about this (12 year old) traffic light incident is how is it Summernat's fault?I pay the Summernats to show me a good time with cars, girls, activities, etc. They provide.I pay the police (through taxes) to uphold the law.Which one of the two above failed to meet their obligation?Its not hard to see it is the police. Fantastic job they do, and I have nothing against them. Perhaps the incident SHOULD have inspired the govt to get more cops, which would benefit all.So, VG, can you please explain how Summernats (or Street Machine Services, the company that runs Summernats) is responsible for the actions of those people?Was Chic Henry or one of his staff in the convertible? Was he holding a gun to the head of, or did he conspire with, the person(s) in that convertible or the crowd?Given that your answer will almost certainly be 'no', and with the understanding that the people involved were legally regarded as adults - for the most part, and capable of making their own decisions, and in turn being WHOLELY RESPONSIBLE for their own actions, individually, can you provide some sort of substantiation to your claim that this incident was caused by Summernats, or are we sticking to conspiracy theories?I was in Byron Bay in 1992/93 (or was it 93/94) when the New Years Eve rioting took place. There was as much, if not more destruction there than at the incident you cite. What shall we do? Ban New Years Eve? Bit hard. Does it prove that a mass gathering of people with large quantities of alcohol consumption can cause rioting regardless of whether there is a car event on or not? - I think so.'nix.
Velvet Glove Team Blueprint Member 532 Member For: 23y 5m 19d Posted 29/01/04 11:39 PM Author Posted 29/01/04 11:39 PM Irresponsible serving of alcohol. Allowing the event to spill beyond its borders (fenceline of Natex), ineffective 'policing' of the bringing in and removal of alcohol in the venue, ineffective security, poor crowd control....the list goes on and on. I wont bother with the rest. Failed to meet their obligation, ha! Being in the middle of it I did everything that was expected of me and 'what you pay your taxes for' (lets not forget what MY taxes subsidise as well. You dont pay the Police, the government does
Falchoon I see red Member 5,758 Member For: 23y 9m 13d Location: nowhere in particular Posted 30/01/04 12:34 AM Posted 30/01/04 12:34 AM Not wanting to have an argument with you VG, but Natex/Summernats was not the only venue selling alcohol in Canberra at the time so I think it a little unfair to soley blame Summernats. The Summernats event was held over the New Years period that year and traditionally this period is one where a lot of excesive alcohol consumption tends to happen in every town and city in Australia, if not the world. Granted, not every year riots occur, but sometimes they do (as pointed out by Feenix), even at places where car shows are not held!As for your statement about the Government paying for the Police, this is true to an extent but I think yoy are forgetting who pays for the Government.I have no doubt you and your collegues were doing the best you could in the circumstances, even if the Police numbers were doubled or tripled I'm sure there still would of been chaos. I just think you are overreacting blaming the incidents soley on the Summernats that's all.
KEN 24T Gandalf the Grey, Maiar of Manwë and Varda, Team HgAg/Sneaky Member 7,371 Member For: 23y 2m 30d Gender: Male Location: The Shire, Middle Earth Posted 30/01/04 12:37 AM Posted 30/01/04 12:37 AM Oh God, here we go again ... :banghead: Now play nice, kiddies!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now