Aircon Issue

• Member For: 20y 2m 18d

My 2003 XR6T has developed an aircon issue. About 3 months ago I noticed a thump noise when even I turned the aircon on to the max setting. It seems to be coming from around the front passenger's footwell; it only happened for first time I turned the aircon on after starting the car. Also, over the past few months there has occasionally been a mist coming out of the centre vents, more so from the one on the right; I just thought this might be condensation on very hot days. Now, however, over the past two days (when have been around 35 degrees outside) the aircon has to be on max to get anything cool out of it and even then, for the first 20 minutes there's only cold air from all driver's side vents (including the rear one), there's only hot air from all the passenger vents (including the one on the rear) for that firtst 20 minutes and when it does eventually become cool it's nowhere near as cold as the driver's side vents.

Can anyone shine a light on what the issue might be here so I don't get ripped off by a ford service department. In advance, my sincere appreciation for assistance.

• Member For: 11y 7m 4d

Do you have dual zone climate control? if you do it sounds like a snapped passenger side blend door shaft or a HIM module issue. If it is a snapped shaft the dash will need to be removed

Perhaps I should also add that the rest of the heater/aircon controls work, ie where the airflow is directed such as the face, feet, etc, and switching from external air source to recirculate appears to be working too, it's just that for the first 20 or so minutes the flow on the passenger's side is warm (or even hot on a 35 degree day).

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 14d

^^ mine has been doing the same thing!

Drivers vents cold but passengers vents come out hot... And mine sounds like the compressor clicks in with a small thump everytime I turn the car on in the morning, once on there's no more noise..... I've just blocked the passanger vents for now but hey if you find a solution do share :)

My 2003 XR6T has developed an aircon issue. About 3 months ago I noticed a thump noise when even I turned the aircon on to the max setting. It seems to be coming from around the front passenger's footwell; it only happened for first time I turned the aircon on after starting the car. Also, over the past few months there has occasionally been a mist coming out of the centre vents, more so from the one on the right; I just thought this might be condensation on very hot days. Now, however, over the past two days (when have been around 35 degrees outside) the aircon has to be on max to get anything cool out of it and even then, for the first 20 minutes there's only cold air from all driver's side vents (including the rear one), there's only hot air from all the passenger vents (including the one on the rear) for that firtst 20 minutes and when it does eventually become cool it's nowhere near as cold as the driver's side vents.

Can anyone shine a light on what the issue might be here so I don't get ripped off by a ford service department. In advance, my sincere appreciation for assistance.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 20d

After 20mins does it come out cold? I had a similar problem on the Mrs BA XT (snapped shaft) but for the heater. It's a $50 plastic shaft that governs the opening and blocking of the two vents hot and cold vents behind the dash. Mine had snapped and was only giving mild non-aircon air.

http://www.fordmods.com/ford-interior-f14/ba-xt-falcon-air-con-t97768.html

http://www.fordmods.com/ford-interior-f14/climate-control-mixer-shaft-replacement-procedure-t96460.html

If this is the same problem - It took me about 6-8 hrs (have never done before) to fix, and is handy if you get someone to help remove the dash. Ford quoted $1500+.

• Member For: 14y 11m 14d

If the aircon is low on gas it can cause a mist and on some cars, will cause warmer air to blow out of the passenger side ( I know for a fact BA's and BF's do this ) The thump could be the recirc flap moving into position ( this happens when the max setting is selected )

Edited by Iwannaturbo

I'll start by getting it regassed as that seems the cheaper option. If that doesn't fix it I guess I'll be looking for someone to help remove the dash.....

Thanks to Gussa and Iwannaturbo for your replies.