bluprinturbo Legacy Donating Member 605 Member For: 18y 4m 28d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 03/01/12 10:37 AM Posted 03/01/12 10:37 AM (edited) The car is completely stock, only thing done to it is tinted windows.If it is a turbo/manifold leak, what do you mean by probably need doing anyway? Gasket? Or the bolts need tightening?Is there a way to check if it's the clutch? And is there a gearbox level indicator?Cheers.the turbo/manifold bolts come loose all the time, tighten them up. common problem stock or not. definately worth the check. Edited 03/01/12 10:38 AM by bluprinturbo
xrBlitz Member 19 Member For: 17y 7m 23d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 03/01/12 10:40 AM Author Posted 03/01/12 10:40 AM Problem Solved turns out a bolt was missing on the turbo shroud, I think, ill take a picture and post it up tomorrow, so I just replaced it with an 8mm x 20mm gal bolt with a flat and spring washer, did it up reasonably tight (not too tight) and started her up and bingo, no noise.I believe there was exhaust gases escaping out of were the bolt holds the housing together creating a small backfire..maybe lol.Anyways im smiling again and can sleep easy tonight.Thanks for all the input to guys.
xrBlitz Member 19 Member For: 17y 7m 23d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 03/01/12 10:41 AM Author Posted 03/01/12 10:41 AM the turbo/manifold bolts come loose all the time, tighten them up. common problem stock or not. definately worth the check.lol, you must of been writing the same time as I was.
bluprinturbo Legacy Donating Member 605 Member For: 18y 4m 28d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 03/01/12 11:50 PM Posted 03/01/12 11:50 PM sweet, fixed her up. keep on top of them mate. check them every service.
xrBlitz Member 19 Member For: 17y 7m 23d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 06/01/12 10:38 PM Author Posted 06/01/12 10:38 PM I thought I would post up a couple of pictures to show you what bolt was missingIt's now been replaced with a high tennsile bolt, only 50c
1600dave Legacy Donating Member 872 Member For: 15y 9m Posted 06/01/12 11:19 PM Posted 06/01/12 11:19 PM You'll probably find theres cracks in the housing that's why it came loose. Common problem.
riptide Member 733 Member For: 15y 8m 22d Gender: Male Location: Auckland, New Zealand Posted 06/01/12 11:41 PM Posted 06/01/12 11:41 PM I have cracks in my housing and so do people I know. Is it a big deal? We just assumed it's normal.
xrBlitz Member 19 Member For: 17y 7m 23d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 06/01/12 11:51 PM Author Posted 06/01/12 11:51 PM I have cracks in my housing and so do people I know. Is it a big deal? We just assumed it's normal.^^ some thing I would like to know about as well, were abouts exactly would the cracks be? I might take the heat shields off and have a look around
riptide Member 733 Member For: 15y 8m 22d Gender: Male Location: Auckland, New Zealand Posted 07/01/12 12:02 AM Posted 07/01/12 12:02 AM (edited) I can't remember exactly but I remember not thinning the metal too much in that area when doing the porting. eg: more visible with the turbo removed. Edited 07/01/12 12:03 AM by riptide
1600dave Legacy Donating Member 872 Member For: 15y 9m Posted 07/01/12 04:21 AM Posted 07/01/12 04:21 AM Yeah most wil be cracked and people wouldn't even know it. What it affects down the track, I wouldn't know.They crack more around the gate port after being ported I believe, have seen some with cracks around the 6 bolt holes that hold the housing on, would cause the bolts to come loose.Can really only see the cracks with the turbo off. Give it a good clean with throttle body cleaner and the cracks become more visible.FG are less prone to cracks, apparently, I got a 2nd hand FG ported housing from ebay for $350, no cracks.Got a price from procharge turbos for $550 for a Garrett housing including porting.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now