Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 7m 22d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

Hey Guys, first time poster, long time reader, just thought I would say hi, I just wish it was on a better note.

I just got a BF II xr6t for Chrissy :) very happy with the car, cant wipe the smile off my face, but today, after my usual drive home from work this ticking noise just appeared out of no where.

I didn't do anything out of the ordinary, in fact Ive been taking really easy until I get use to the power, I'm not to sure if this had anything to do with it but the low fuel beep happened, then I think the ticking started, then the fuel light came on. Ive since filled up with fuel and the ticking is still there.

On start up its there a little bit, but only really hear it when I'm accelerating, either lightly of heavily, and even reversing the the ticking is there, and it doesn't go away, engine hot or cold. Its like the vibration from the engine is causing the ticking noise, like something is lose.

It sort of sounds like....I don't know, its hard to explain, think of a cross between a stick stuck in a fan and noise an electric shaver/clippers make when cutting your hair.

Ive been reading that it might be a lose bolt from the heat shield, turbo manifold, or exhaust manifold, so when I get the chance, and the engine is cool enough ill check them out.

But apart from that, if anyone else has any ideas, please let me know.

Ill keep you posted on any up dates.

Cheers, Ash.

Thanks

  • Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 2m 4d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

Cud be the idle pulley. If you do a search for it on this forum - it's bound to come up. I had a similar noise. Part costs about $25 for a new one. It's a common issue with the Barra engines. Once replaced - no more ticking :beerchug:

  • I <3 Floods
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 2m 8d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: South West QLD
Posted

The best tell tale for the idle pulley is it goes away after the bearing heats up.. There is a couple after market replacements on eBay.. Unsure how they shape up to getting a new one off ford..

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 7m 22d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

Well hopefully it's nothing more then that, although the noise is constantly there, from first start of the engine in the morning, to 30 mins drive later, how long would it take for the bearing to heat up?

Another thing to add is it's the 6 speed manual and the noise sounds like it's coming from around the foot pedal/center consol area, and when I wined the window down I can also hear it, it definantly come from the front of the car.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 4m 28d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: brisbane
Posted

probably turbo/manifold leak. pull off the heat shields and check, even if its not that they probably need doing anyway. has it got stock exhaust? heat shields on the exhaust are prone to vibration.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 10m 17d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: SE Melbourne
Posted (edited)

You probably need a new clutch. Also might want to check gearbox oil.

But ye checking the turbo bolts first won't cost you anything.

Edited by Paulie2256
  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 7m 22d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

Oh, and it's only done 45,000 km and the ticking noise is a very fast ticking.

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 7m 22d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

The car is completely stock, only thing done to it is tinted windows.

If it is a turbo/manifold leak, what do you mean by probably need doing anyway? Gasket? Or the bolts need tightening?

Is there a way to check if it's the clutch? And is there a gearbox level indicator?

Cheers.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 10m 17d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: SE Melbourne
Posted

Usually if it's the clutch the noise will change under different speed and gear selection. Also could change or go away when foot is on the clutch.

By change I mean pitch/tempo

The gearbox has no level indicator. You need to check the level through the reverse switch. The oil should reach a few cm below it.

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 7m 22d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

It does seem to get faster and louter as I accelerate, and when I hit boost it sounds horrible, like electricity acring really fast, or stick or mig welding. Would I be doing damage? I just don't want it to be a problem with the turbo.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...