New Gt Engine Gone Already

cranny

• Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 11m 17d

This is the sticky point. Not saying she's a potential phase III collectable here but, would you want an engine number that didn't match? Even with full disclosure, when looking to buy s/hand, would you buy a car that had a factory fitted replacement engine at 3,000k, or go with another with matching, factory numbers? Being honest, I'd know which I'd buy. That, or if it was the better car allround, I'd use the non-original engine as a major bargaining chip. In other words, it will devalue the car - no question. So what do you do? Even if it holed a slug, I think I'd rather they rebuilt the original donk. That, or try on the lemon law thing and get a new car.

Edited by bomber

• Banned
  • Member For: 13y 5m 6d

Bomber, are you sure the engine number wouldn't match? I had a new engine in my VX Clubbie (piston slap etc etc) and nothing changed whatsoever? (Expensive Daewoo might have done things behind scenes maybe?)

I might be wrong with Fords, but I would think the integrity of the car/purchase doesn't change with a replacement engine, unlike a conversion with imports etc where numbers don't match of course? :dontknow:

Edited by CBXRT

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3d

They rebuilt those Gen 3's. Two of my mechanics at work came from Expensive Daewoo dealerships and they did so many of those they say they could do them in their sleep.

• Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 11m 17d

I wouldn't think they'd come with a 'blank' on 'em and the dealers just get the numbers punch out - that's fraud. Once a donk has been birthed, she gets unique id.

The early Gen III had a rings issue from memory and they rebuilt heaps of 'em as you said Adam.

Edited by bomber

• Banned
  • Member For: 13y 5m 6d

Fair enough guys, I won't argue ha ha :beerchug:

I reckon there must be a way to get a new engine fitted (not just rebuilt as you say Adam, like GenIII which they said was replaced "new" - obviously not.....) without it affecting resale, integrity etc - seems plain wrong otherwise?? :dontknow:

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 2m 28d

If they order a block, it will come blank, and the dealer will stamp the engine number into it.

Most of the dealer forget to do this. And when it comes to re rego time, its headaches galore.

• Member For: 15y 7m 3d

Same as a harley frame.. If you bend it harley will send you a new one but you need to send the bent frame or at least the cut off piece with the numbers to them and they will stamp up the same numbers..

• Member For: 15y 4m 25d

Don't know why People are talking about replacement cars and consumer laws. Bit premature. I've had my battles with Ford over the years, but generally I've ended up on top. Long way from that yet. Take it to the dealer you bought it off assuming it's close to where you live. If the problem is as obvious as you say you should have no problem. Best case it's something simple, worst case a new donk. Forget any suggestion of another car. I've tried it and it didn't work. You are entitled to demand this if they consider you have a lemon, multiple failures, but these are very rare and you are a long way from that yet. I had multiple failures in my BAII XR8 at about 2,000kays, but they fixed them after about a month I suppose. Good luck.