Cars Made In Oz

CelticFalconFan

• Member For: 12y 9m 28d

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I did a quick search and came up negative...

I'm interested to find out who makes what car, and where they make (or assemble if you prefer) them, in Australia. Ford in the UK make the Transit and engines. We also have Vauxhall; Jaguar-Land Rover; Honda; Nissan; Toyota; MINI; Bentley; Rolls-Royce; MG and a few others. What is the situation in Australia?

Regards,

JD.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 2d

Ford makes Falcon (Sedan and Ute) and the Territory out of Broadmeadows (with stamping and engines from Geelong)

Expensive Daewoo makes the Commodore (Sedan, Sportswagon, Ute) and now the Cruze out of Elizabeth S.A. They make powertrains at Fisherman's Bend.

Toyota makes the Aurion and the Camry out of Altona.

Obviously HSV, FPV and TRD are tied to the local operations (FPV in Campbellfield and HSV in Clayton at Nissan's old plant).

Engine wise the Ford I6 comes from Geelong, the V8 is assembled across the road from BM1 at FPV in Campbellfield and the V6D and D40 4 cylinder are imported.

For Expensive Daewoo the V6 is locally built and everything else (afaik) comes from overseas.

For toyota the camry 4 is made at altona and the aurion V6 is imported. Not sure about the hybrid powertrain.

Edited by bunna

• Banned
  • Banned
  • Member For: 13y 7m 15d

We don't want Tims buying Fords mate, try holden ! :stirthepot: (aussies wont get this ! )

Welcome and Enjoy the local performance produce, Better than any British crap ! :buttrock:

rab; Not quite sure I follow your joke there, mate! Not all British cars are crap - the Jaguar XFR is a very impressive performance saloon (albeit very expensive in Oz from what I have seen). Trouble is, in the UK, the Government has 'persuaded' people to move away from large, petrol-engined cars unless they have a premium badge on them. Ford don't offer a true performance car anymore in the UK - they have gone 'Ecoboost' 2.0 litre turbo.

For info, the road tax for my 3.0 V6 (petrol) Peugeot coupe is 425 GBP (about 640 Aus Dollars at current exchange rate), with a similar figure for insurance. As for fuel: Texaco High-Octane (97 RON) is 139.9 pence for litre (about 2.10 AUS Dollars). When I visited Melbourne last November it was the equivalent of about 80 British pence per litre....Has it gone up much since then?

bunna; thank you for the info - much appreciated.

• Banned
  • Banned

Not apples for apples late. how much is the jag ? show me another car capable of 5 adults, 400hp and with little tweaking can make well over 500bhp and under 25000 GBP ? they don't exist in the UK ! :beerchug:

As for fuel, yeah its got a bit pricey here the last 1 or 2 yrs. was 99c a litre late 2008 (mango hill matilda) and now risen up 40%. the fuel incentives (or emmissions) in the uk is why they're all sub 2000cc. I spent my last years there heavily importing subaru's from Japan and had them on the road there and sold, driveaway for under 2000gbp. those cars here are stupid money so you need to balance out the whole deal...

car,fuel cost, rego/mot stuff and I reckon it works out not too bad but rego is still as rip at near a grand now !

(tim = celtic supporter !) ..

Off topic I know but the XR6T is a bargain performance car ! :beerchug:

Well, for 25000 GBP, I don't think there is a six cylinder available in the UK. Yes; emissions-based taxation has realy affected the car market - maybe the previous Labour Government thought people would be willing to pay several hundred pounds a year road tax for large cc and multicylinder engines. You can't blame people for trying to save money by buying cars with zero orvery low road tax. Perhaps it would have been fairer to have taken the actual figure of CO2 emissions per km and converted that into pounds (e.g. 99 g/km = 99 GBP; 242 g/km = 242 GBP).

I agree, the XFR is not a cheap car in any country. It is a very nice one though!

Of course, salaries in Australia are much higher than in the UK - I understand that the minimum wage in Australia is 18 AUS Dollars per hour) - which is about double the UK minimum wage. A car costing 25000 GBP in the UK is approximately the average national salary in the UK (give or take a bit). What is the average salary in Australia? The equivalent of about 35000 GBP? Or would it be greater? House prices seem similar, or maybe somewhat cheaper, than the UK (particular in relation to income). 500 000AUS Dollars seems to buy quite a nice house in a good part of Melbourne - unless the market has taken off in the last six months.

Ah, you mean Celtic Football Club! I mean Celtic as in Welsh!

• Banned
  • Banned

welsh ?? Taff , aw ffs mate ! gotta be Scots or irish (I am made up of both :D) ..... :buttrock:

ps, nice to have ya and yer right...... Oz beats UK hands down ! that's why we're all over here now ! :spoton:

gimme the bigger Oz wages and cheaper big bore performance cars anyday ! .... :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

Well, higher wages and cheaper big-bore performance are two of the reasons why I want to move down-under; plus the fact that the UK appears to have no money for anything important, not to mention the weather - spent last November in Melbourne (with some trips to Sydney and Cairns), came backt to the UK and at night it was -10 deg. C or colder for nigh-on a month! Day temperatures struggled to go positive! Only things that didn't seem so good in Oz were the TV (don't watch much of it anyway), and some of the fashions (more relevant to my girlfriend)!

One thing noticed was that there didn't seem to be so many 'classic' cars on the road as in the UK (or, least, classic British cars from the 50s, 60s and 70s).

Lots f bright green, yellow, oragne etc. coloured Fords and Holdens though. Some of the colours reminded me of the colours available on cars in the 70s in the UK. My parents had an orange Ford Capri in the mid-70s!

• Banned
  • Banned

Been here 3yrs mate. Love the weather, love the people (most of them ). Oz is still growing and although there is a small dink in the economy now, it's a great place to come and live. Just getting settled is the hard part.

We're better off now than we've ever been (not that we're well off) as Glasgow although it's a beautiful city, it's also dying on it's arse and has the worst knife crime in Europe ! 5x more than London and London has 5x the population so 25x worse per capita ! :surrenderwave:

So, forget the UK, get yer ass over here , get into the Oz lifestyle, drink piss,fish the beautiful waters, BBQ everything , wear flip flops and shorts all year and you'll be right ! :beerchug:

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 2d

...as long as you promise to stop whinging when you set foot in Aus! :stirthepot:

We all complain from time to time about how crap the government is etc. but I can't think of anywhere I'd rather live. Except maybe an exotic tax haven somewhere once I win the lotto.

Whatever you do though don't judge Australia's weather on Melbourne. The place is renowned for four seasons in one day and although has a fairly low average temp has some pretty extreme heatwaves...to the point that the place essentially shuts down every now and then because electricity grids are failing and train lines buckling etc. And the residents are all freaks. :nod:

Brisbane/Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast is where it's at, as I'm sure Rab will attest to. Mild summers and a winter that would be on-par to your current summer. http://www.auinfo.com/brisbane-climate.html