christopher m Member 11 Member For: 16y 4m 10d Posted 26/03/11 12:54 AM Posted 26/03/11 12:54 AM Hi guys,just wondering if anyone else has heard of the impeller shaft bending on a phoon before? had mine boostd couple of months ago...(305 RWKW)16 psi...went for a thrash on saturday with a lazy half hour drive back too cool things down, no problems. went out on thursday and got 500 meters down the road when I could hear the impeller rubbing on the housing.tunning guys reckon its fairly common once you modify...I think that was what he said as I was still in shock that it happened and about the price he quoted to fix it! would appreciate any thoughts on this, cheers
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 11d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 26/03/11 01:35 AM Posted 26/03/11 01:35 AM have never heard of them bendings shafts. Bearings packs fail regulary on higher km cars that have never had the turbo oil supply filter changed. I'd suggest searching the board for threads on turbo failures and replacement costs and changing tuners.
Impellor Member 835 Member For: 16y 2m 14d Gender: Not Telling Posted 26/03/11 02:09 AM Posted 26/03/11 02:09 AM I would have thought that the impellor shaft could actually bend only if bearing failure occurred.I cant recall this particular failure happening to anyone else. Further, I would say your tuner is not wanting to take responsibility, but I am not sure this is something he would have any control over. Cheers
christopher m Member 11 Member For: 16y 4m 10d Posted 26/03/11 04:26 AM Author Posted 26/03/11 04:26 AM yaeh thanks for your comments,on the bent shaft,I've only looked down the throat of it with the inlet pipe of and when you spin the impeller by hand you can see the shaft is eccentric now, so I suppose its probably the bearings. not trying to lame blame with the tuner just trying to see how up front he is with me. reckon I can get the job done a lot cheaper than 2200.......any suggestions as to replacement or should I stick to original operating equipement..someone told me I should havethe 'waste gate enlarged'slightly while ive got it in pieces?
Impellor Member 835 Member For: 16y 2m 14d Gender: Not Telling Posted 26/03/11 06:42 AM Posted 26/03/11 06:42 AM My feelings are that the original turbo is still a good option for the power you are making. Should be able to find a siutable replacement for less than $2200 without to much trouble. Further you may find that an inline cleanable filter replacement will help keep the bearings lubed. Cheers
christopher m Member 11 Member For: 16y 4m 10d Posted 27/03/11 07:25 AM Author Posted 27/03/11 07:25 AM thanks for the come back, I appriciate all respones v.much,now thinking of getting the original re-conned. do you guys know of quality operators in Perth. am also running stock exhuast. iknow the motor wants to breathe better but dont know much about them or dump pipes. any tips? cheers
christopher m Member 11 Member For: 16y 4m 10d Posted 27/03/11 07:28 AM Author Posted 27/03/11 07:28 AM oh I forgot ,the other option for a turbo is a low milleage one from the wreckers.not sure about that one though
Jez89 Legacy Donating Member 30 Member For: 16y 4m 4d Posted 27/03/11 09:44 PM Posted 27/03/11 09:44 PM I doubt the shaft would be bent. Sounds like the bearings are on the way out. Either way, if the cartridge hasn't stuffed your housings you should be able to get away with just replacing the cartrige. Probably a better and cheaper option than a whole second hand unit or rebuilding your current one.
christopher m Member 11 Member For: 16y 4m 10d Posted 28/03/11 12:14 PM Author Posted 28/03/11 12:14 PM thanks jez89, maybe a dumb question but what is the cartridge?Ive had some rubfrom the impellor though ,is that what you mean?
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 11d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 28/03/11 12:25 PM Posted 28/03/11 12:25 PM The cartridge is the centre assembly of the turbo that contains the bearings,seals and supports the compressor and turbine wheelsas per pic
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now