Cam Size And Usability

Bad Apples

• Member For: 9y 11m 25d

I think lobe separation is the only thing that is adjustable with the XR6 variable valve timing.

But I'm only guessing because I've never really looked at this setup that hard.

Variable valve timing is all new to me.

But I'm keen to learn more from those that know.

• Member For: 12y 4m 14d

Never stuck a dial guage on the camshafts however, the workshop I use have. The BA turbo cams have less timing than the BF. They have not bothered with the FG. The VCT system in BF onwards works on both camshafts.

The VCM tuning packages allow for some changes in the operation of the VCT. Minor adjustments within this system does not seem to produce marked changes in power but my observations of this are limited to a couple of minor adjustments made to the tune in my car and in the end, they were put back to stock. The only "cammed up" xr6t I have seen on the dyno was unimpressive. Had a slight lope at idle, power curve favoured the top end and road manners were ordinary. IMO, the owner would have been better off winding in an extra 2psi of boost and would have got a better result. His bux, his choice.

There are others on the forum who have asked the same questions and others who have looked at ( or undertook) cam changes in-depth. IMO. for overall power and driveability in what might be called the "useable rev range" - being idle to 5800 rpm - stock FG turbo cams ( with good springs ) are the best. After that, go to the aftermarket.

• Like 2

• REST IN PEACE V8
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6d

4.5 atomics with fixed gears 240km to a tank when running 98 fuel 60kw gain over bf ams

• Like 4

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 24d

4.5 atomics with fixed gears 240km to a tank when running 98 fuel 60kw gain over bf ams

Do you drive everywhere on full throttle? Or is it that 200lb inj just can't run a small enough duty cycle?

• REST IN PEACE V8
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6d

2000cc injectors even with the ida 1000 maybe 280 to a tank of fuel I wouldnt go anything over an atomic cam 4s for daily driver

Edited by RIP85