Zeke zeke Member 792 Member For: 23y 3m 12d Location: Adelaide Posted 05/11/03 05:20 AM Posted 05/11/03 05:20 AM I think it's very trusting to believe a car is going where the driver indicates - it ain't necessarily so!
Velvet Glove Team Blueprint Member 532 Member For: 23y 5m 22d Posted 05/11/03 05:34 AM Posted 05/11/03 05:34 AM Does this apply to roundabouts as well? I was road raged by a guy who was approaching the (2 lane) roundabout from my right with his RH indicator on to turn right (in the right hand lane) and I was going straight through in the left lane. This guy took major offence because I didn't stop for him. I didn't think I had to because we were in different lanes but he had other ideas. I went to the local cops afterwards to enquire as to who was in the right and they reckon I should of given way to him. I'm not sure the cop fully understood (or was interested) in the question I was asking.I travel through this roundabout several times daily (just up the road from where I live - VG probably drives through it too) and see heaps of people doing the same thing Idid but now I am very concious to stop and giveway, nearly causing a pileup because people think you don't need to give way if approaching traffic is in the other lane.I would have thought that the "Give Way" signs at the roundabout are the answer to this question. My reading of them has always been that if there is traffic on the roundabout, you give way to your right regardless of which lane it is in. I would say yes about the giving way to your right thing in roundabouts but its funny because of the many and varied ways people use indicators in them. Safe bet is to let everything go but I do the same thing when people are 'inside' of me. Give way doesnt mean stop. Give way means that u are displaying some consideration for people already within an intersection.Play it safe with roundabouts. As you well know, Canberrans are complete amoebas when it comes to them. I have had people turn right from the left lane in a roundabout right in front of me when I was going straight ahead in the right lane in a Police car.This is VG's rules of roundabouts (which may or may not relate to actual laws).1. Never assume2. If u wanna turn left or go straight ahead be in the left lane3. If you wanna turn right get in the right lane.4. If you enter a roundabout in a certain lane, stay in that lane throughout the whole roundabout, dont cut through the middle (if u know what I mean) unless its 0400 and there's NOONE around that u could possibly hit5. Always expect the worst from people6. Any vehicle that has a letter on the back (P or L) is to be avoided like the plague.7. Any drivers with hats will not know what to do at a roundabout and should be avoided at all costs.8. If u wanna pass someone in a roundabout safely, they will ALWAYS get the sh*ts and try and cut u off when merging back together9. Canberrans cannot drive in roundabouts10. Canberrans cannot drive full stop (I am a born and bred Canberra boy as well !)Follow these these rules and the VG fairy will protect u.Sorry Officers PONCHARELLO and BAKER. I will get back in my box
sixfan Flaccid Member Legacy Donating Member 2,503 Member For: 23y 4m 12d Gender: Male Location: NOONAMAH, go figure..... Posted 05/11/03 05:49 AM Posted 05/11/03 05:49 AM 10. Canberrans cannot drive full stop (I am a born and bred Canberra boy as well !) :lol: I Learnt to drive in Canberra, I'll use it as my excuse!Never seen so many agro drivers in my life!As I understand it, you must giveway to whoever is in the roundabout, Irrespective of which side of them you are on (I prefer the give way to the right rule, makes it consistant!)
MattB Member 169 Member For: 23y 8m 16d Location: Canberra Posted 05/11/03 06:00 AM Posted 05/11/03 06:00 AM 7. Any drivers with hats will not know what to do at a roundabout and should be avoided at all costs. This is one rule I live by, although I find that their degree of traffic awareness is inversely proportional to the size of the brim on their hat. If they've got a full-brim Akubra hat on whilst driving, stay well clear! If you have one behind you, flash your lights as a courtesy to oncoming traffic to be alert.
Turbo6man Legacy Donating Member 4,084 Member For: 23y 11m 23d Gender: Male Location: South Coast NSW Posted 05/11/03 07:32 AM Posted 05/11/03 07:32 AM When turning (left) onto a 2 lane road, do you have to wait for both oncoming lanes to be clear of traffic?To enter a two lane (marked) road, you will need to give to the car in the lane closest to you I:e If the car in Lane 1 (closest to kerb) is in a position where, if you enter Lane 1 from adjoining street, would cause a collision, then you must Give Way.If Lane 1 is free to enter, but there is a Car in Lane 2, you are right to enter Lane 1 as long as the car in Lane 2 is not indicating into Lane 1 or moving into Lane 1. If the car in Lane 2 moves over into Lane 1 as you are entering, then the car in Lane 2 is at fault. Rule 148 ARR's Ooops ... first Q answered and first Q wrong.Sorry Plonky ol' mate but you are absolutely incorrect on this - I'm afraid you would not pass a driving test in NSW if you pulled into the left hand lane while a vehicle was approaching from your right even if it is in the second lane.In fact, just two weeks ago a person who I had been teaching did just this in her driving test (even though I had told her she couldn't) and was failed on the spot. Straight back to the registry, no $200 and didn't even get to pass GO heheheh.Now, I know you are going to say there are differing interpretations on the "lane laws" and that is right, BUT in this instance it appears to be very clear-cut that you must give way to the right regardless of what lane the approaching vehicle is travelling in.
Turbo6man Legacy Donating Member 4,084 Member For: 23y 11m 23d Gender: Male Location: South Coast NSW Posted 05/11/03 07:41 AM Posted 05/11/03 07:41 AM Falchoon> The information you were given by the police was correct - a multi-lane roundabout is the same as a multi-laned road and you must give way to all vehicles regardless of the lane they are in.
Turbo6man Legacy Donating Member 4,084 Member For: 23y 11m 23d Gender: Male Location: South Coast NSW Posted 05/11/03 07:43 AM Posted 05/11/03 07:43 AM VG> Your approach to roundabouts is exactly like mine
plonky The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium Member 1,766 Member For: 23y 5m 24d Location: Dodge Scat Pack Posted 05/11/03 08:12 AM Author Posted 05/11/03 08:12 AM When turning (left) onto a 2 lane road, do you have to wait for both oncoming lanes to be clear of traffic?To enter a two lane (marked) road, you will need to give to the car in the lane closest to you I:e If the car in Lane 1 (closest to kerb) is in a position where, if you enter Lane 1 from adjoining street, would cause a collision, then you must Give Way.If Lane 1 is free to enter, but there is a Car in Lane 2, you are right to enter Lane 1 as long as the car in Lane 2 is not indicating into Lane 1 or moving into Lane 1. If the car in Lane 2 moves over into Lane 1 as you are entering, then the car in Lane 2 is at fault. Rule 148 ARR's Ooops ... first Q answered and first Q wrong.Sorry Plonky ol' mate but you are absolutely incorrect on this - I'm afraid you would not pass a driving test in NSW if you pulled into the left hand lane while a vehicle was approaching from your right even if it is in the second lane.In fact, just two weeks ago a person who I had been teaching did just this in her driving test (even though I had told her she couldn't) and was failed on the spot. Straight back to the registry, no $200 and didn't even get to pass GO heheheh.Now, I know you are going to say there are differing interpretations on the "lane laws" and that is right, BUT in this instance it appears to be very clear-cut that you must give way to the right regardless of what lane the approaching vehicle is travelling in. I had a good look through the legislation first before I answered this question and according to Rule 74, if a driver is entering a road from a road or road related area and the intersection is NOT controlled by a Stop Sign, Give Way Sign, Stop Line must Give Way to any vehicle on the right. The driving instructor is right in that instance.However, if a driver is entering a road that is Multi Lane and there is no car in the lane he is entering (the lane is clear or the approaching traffic is still adistance away) and there are vehicles in the No 2 Lane (closest to the cenre of the road), then you CAN enter No.1 lane. In this instance the driving instructor is wrong. Rule 148.If it was the case where you were entering a multi lane road, (controlled by Stop Sign, Stop Line, Give Way sign) and you had to give way to any vehicle on the right regardless of the lane, then you would never get onto Paramatta Road!I'm sorry to cause your glee to be short lived!
plonky The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium Member 1,766 Member For: 23y 5m 24d Location: Dodge Scat Pack Posted 05/11/03 08:15 AM Author Posted 05/11/03 08:15 AM Not that I'd ever do this, but I hate it when people do:When parallel parking in a spot with cars both in front and behind the spot, are you allowed to touch-park? eg. keep reversing slowly until you hit the other car softly, before going forwards again No.Technically it is a collision.
KEN 24T Gandalf the Grey, Maiar of Manwë and Varda, Team HgAg/Sneaky Member 7,371 Member For: 23y 3m 3d Gender: Male Location: The Shire, Middle Earth Posted 05/11/03 08:16 AM Posted 05/11/03 08:16 AM Now this is cool! B) I can cause a distrubance in the "force" without even trying.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now