84ker Member 3 Member For: 16y 20d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 14/10/10 11:41 AM Posted 14/10/10 11:41 AM hey everyone, I picked up my brand new xr50 ute 4 weeks ago, I ended up with a black one afer not being able to get the colour of my choice, anyway after all the rain we have had I havnt ben able to wash the ute for 2 weeks, I finally washed it last night (using the six star stuff ford gives you) and spent hours tying to get out bugs out, and when I finally got them off you can still see where they were, its like stains the paint! has any one else had this problem with the paint protection? can paint protection be removed? it just seems like I spend hours washing it and whe im done it still looks dirty! what does everyone use to wash there cars? thanks for your help!
Adam Here since the start... Legacy Donating Member 10,282 Member For: 23y 5m 12d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 14/10/10 11:54 AM Posted 14/10/10 11:54 AM "Paint protection" is nothing more than an extremely over priced polish that isn't worth anywhere near what they charge people for it. It's quite criminal really IMO.Get some bug and tar remover. You'll need to reapply some wax/polish after using it though.
Rancidpunx Brisbanes Resident Detailer Legacy Donating Member 950 Member For: 17y 8m 18d Gender: Male Location: In my Cabin Outside Brisbane. Posted 14/10/10 12:23 PM Posted 14/10/10 12:23 PM (edited) Bugs can stain the paint protections or waxes and sealants, they can also stain the clear coat. Its bloody annoying. I live in the country and have found if I wax my ute and then drive it after dark within a day or 2 the bugs will leave a lasting impression. I have to strip everything and start again.Long story short there is not much you can do about it. If you touch the paint you will void your "warranty" (as Adam said though, its not worth the paper its written on) best bet is to let Ford have a look at it. Anything you use to try to remove the bugs will also remove the "Paint Protection". However, you need to remove the PP to remove the stain unfortunately. Edited 14/10/10 12:27 PM by Rancidpunx
Turbo6FG Legacy Donating Member 497 Member For: 16y 7m 6d Gender: Male Posted 14/10/10 12:49 PM Posted 14/10/10 12:49 PM Meguiars Use the clay bar kit about every 6-12 months (depending on how dirty the car gets) & give it a good polish & wax straight after. Between times use their car wash or quick detailer spray & you get a great finish.
wiresquire Member 266 Member For: 21y 10m 12d Posted 14/10/10 01:01 PM Posted 14/10/10 01:01 PM +1 for clay bar.
4DZILR Legacy Donating Member 713 Member For: 16y 8m 3d Gender: Male Location: Sydney - Brighton Le Sands Posted 14/10/10 08:45 PM Posted 14/10/10 08:45 PM (edited) I can say with confidence that the paint protection just depends on what kind of product they use..I have seen a video with two bonnets.. both the same model car and both red..Both were washed and one was given this protection sealer..Both hadn't been touched in 12 months and left outside in the rain on a rooftop of this business..Both given the exact same treatment for the 12 months...When it came to washing them, you could image they were filthy, but the shine and colour difference in each bonnet was quite noticeable.. The one with the protection worked very well..I dunno...I reckon you could just do a good clay, and a good polish and ill be right.. its the sealant I see that does fark all difference..! Edited 14/10/10 08:47 PM by 4DZILR
seduced Need more power. Now taking donations. Member 753 Member For: 17y 7m 11d Gender: Male Posted 15/10/10 05:20 AM Posted 15/10/10 05:20 AM Clay bar.Mothers. Not rip off Meguires.
timbos99 Member 300 Member For: 17y 11m 4d Gender: Male Location: QLD Posted 15/10/10 05:43 AM Posted 15/10/10 05:43 AM Long story short there is not much you can do about it. If you touch the paint you will void your "warranty"While everyone is telling you good things to do normally take note of what rancid mentioned, if you paid for Frauds paint protection then you have guidelines of what can and can't be done...
Rancidpunx Brisbanes Resident Detailer Legacy Donating Member 950 Member For: 17y 8m 18d Gender: Male Location: In my Cabin Outside Brisbane. Posted 15/10/10 06:52 AM Posted 15/10/10 06:52 AM On the subject of clay bars, they are all the same, just varying grades (abrasive/grippyness). All made in the same place just have a different colour. The recipe, if you like, is copyrighted and only one company in china can make them. The various brands just pick a colour.Remember clay bars can and will put micro scratches and marring into your finish and require an abrasive polish to remove. Most paste waxes have the ability to "fill" to scraches/swirls due to the nature of carnauba wax. Synthetic sealants can also be blended to achieve the same result.
Turbo6FG Legacy Donating Member 497 Member For: 16y 7m 6d Gender: Male Posted 15/10/10 07:20 AM Posted 15/10/10 07:20 AM I just use Meguiars cos I buy all their car stuff & the clay comes in the quick detailer kit. Seems to work the best.I use the company credit card anyhow so the $$ doesn't worry me. The bikini car wash girls at motor shows do a good job too. Dunno what they use.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now