Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 16y 2m 9d
Posted

Lads,

Just joined this forum tonight as I am now free to order my XR6T after selling my original BF ute this afternoon (heavy days *tear*)

The new car will be the XR6T Manual Ute. But, I will be throwing around 8-10k for performance mods and general lowering and a nice set of 20's.

After having a look around these forums, I have noticed a few inherent issues with the cars...namely the CV joints on the lowered cars (which I'm worried about).

The car I am planning will be a pretty beastly affair. I have been talking to my performance guy and he quoted me anywhere between 350-380kw @ the treads with a package he's got from Process West which includes the usual injectors, intercooler, tune, CAI, exhaust blah blah.

Add into this the lowering and wheels as well.

What are the known problems at this kind of power output and ride height, and what should I be prepared for?

Ta

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 4m 29d
Posted

Unless the factory are fitting the updated tailshafts on the production line, id be prepared for:

ford3.jpg

that's a blown rear tailshaft CV

I had a whole custom shaft made from scratch as there was a 5 week backorder from Ford at the time mine went.

Here's a pic of the old CV cage and the much better Chrome Moly one.

ford1.jpg

All that really needs to be done is replacing the 2 CV's in the shaft as the standard ones are junk.

  • Member
  • Member For: 16y 3m 23d
Posted (edited)

How much did they sting you for the custom made one?

Edited by tab
No need to quote preceding post
  • Mmmmm......BOOST
  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 5m 3d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: central coast
Posted (edited)

did you say manual then you need to look at mal woods clutch options , and BIG brakes.

the lowered cars tend to bust the cv joints that run to the wheels from the diff center

Edited by our06t
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member
  • Member For: 16y 7m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Greenbank, QLD
Posted

schmick325 I'd also like to know the price they charged you for the new CV's, and how did your break?

Also were to 2010 utes fitted with better/upgraded, CV's/ tailshafts or was any 'fix' done?

  • flame magnet
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 4m 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: adelaide hills- 'race air' central
Posted

dont raise the boost unless you upgrade the ic piping either. the stock piping is crap plastic that pops open real easy....

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 7m 16d
Posted

utes dont have independant rear suspension so you dont have to worry about busting CVs. IC piping upgrade would be my first upgrade

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 27d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Townsville
Posted

Turbo needs changing to F6/BA/BF to get past about 330rwkw reliably!

Dont bother touching the exhaust except for maybe the cat if you aren't changing the turbo.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...