Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 14d
  • Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posted

All of the complaining in the country will not change the speed camera situation!!! For the record, I am not against having them - but I just think they should be there to catch the 'speeders' ....... not nab us all every time we go over the limit by 5kms!!!! (especially during hours where there is no one on the roads anyway). That is the money making side that annoys me. And it isn't so much the money as the points ..... they take so long to get back :(

Guest HocuSChrisT
  • Guests
Posted
Speed cameras, radars ...... if they were really there to save lives they wouldn't book you for doing small amounts over the limit. Last ticket I got a couple of months back was on a mountain road in a 50 zone before 6.30am. Seriously ..... unless I was driving like a maniac or excessively speeding, what is the problem?? 50km p/h on an descending road is very hard to stick to unless you are constantly riding the brake ..... but I managed to get busted. :thumbsup: They're bloody everywhere these days and there is nothing we can do about it. What's worse is that if you actually try to stick to a limit, you usually get a car up your ar$e pushing you to speed anyway!!!! Perhaps some of those rotating number plates out of a James Bond movie are in order ................ :lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong, and Plonkey, VG, you may know about this. I was under the impression that the police couldn't book you on a descending road?? :o :huh::huh:

  • Bloody Orange Team (BOT)
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 3m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Canberra, Australia
Posted

Canberra has a few fixed speed/red light camera's. There was one camera in the Belconnen area that was moved somewhere else. Why? Because it wasn't making the government enough money. We also have mobile speed camera vans, which I feel do slow people down to a certain extent. I remember when they first came out I would slowdown everytime I saw any kind of van on the side of the road. But lately I think I have been less cautious about this. Mainly because the van always goes to certain spots on a regular basis and you get used to keeping more of an eye out in certain areas. But I must admit that they have slowed people down on Northbourne Avenue (main stretch into Canberra). Before the speed camera's people drove like absolute looneys on this road. very fast. Because the Camera van is there on a regular basis (atleast a few times a week), people seem to stick to the 70km/h posted limit almost always.

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 14d
  • Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posted
Correct me if I'm wrong, and Plonkey, VG, you may know about this. I was under the impression that the police couldn't book you on a descending road?? :huh::huh::thumbsup:

I wish that was the case!!! I still go down this road every day but with the c/control set .... the T still goes way over the limit on each descent - what more can you do?

A tip too ..... don't say 'yes' when they ask if you want to see the radar - it got me nothing but a constant torch in my face, my car checked (I don't think I look like a drug dealer?? :( ) and some questions that were none of their business.

I look at it this way .... there are plenty of times I am 'excessively' speeding and I don't get caught. I guess sometimes you just have to cop the 'money making' ones on the chin and be grateful they didn't catch you on a 'lose your license' one!!!!! :D

I still like to whinge about it though!!!

  • The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 29d
  • Location: Dodge Scat Pack
Posted

We have no restrictions as to where we can check speeds using mobile radar. However, there is policy that it is not suggested to sit at the bottom of steep hills so as to avoid suggestions of 'revenue raising'.

If that same steep hill however was the site of a number of accidents then we would be negligent if some sort of speed surveillance ws not conducted at that area.

So to answer your question, No we are not restricted to doing speed surveillance at the botom of hills.

Commonsense again is the operative word in any sort of enforcement.

  • I see red
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 22d
  • Location: nowhere in particular
Posted
But I must admit that they have slowed people down on Northbourne Avenue (main stretch into Canberra). Before the speed camera's people drove like absolute looneys on this road. very fast. Because the Camera van is there on a regular basis (atleast a few times a week), people seem to stick to the 70km/h posted limit almost always.

Northbourne Ave speed limit is soon going down to 60km/h. :(

  • Poison Fish. Poison Fish. TASTY FISH!!!
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: The Bogan Shire
Posted
a Right wing think tank that has some amazingly sensible people on it.

Nah....that cant be right...Sensible! Nah ;)

But seriously...We should all be complaining to our local federal and state members, especially those in mariginal seats.

Vote the governments out!Start the "Citizens against outrageous Revenue Raising Speed Camera Party" and run in elections in every seat where we have a forum member...Have information dissemination on Revenue vs Black Spots in shopping centres and other public places, create petitions.Lobby automaotive clubs and companys...

There are heaps of options available to us and if we sit here and take it, its just gonna get worse and worse, like it has been!

FIGHT THE POWER

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...