How Much Kw Can A Stock I/C Cope With ?

gazman1968

• Member For: 18y 10m 7d

Hey mate, yeah I have TT and I'll be sure to let you know how it goes once the tune and injectors are done. I wouldn't fit the injectors unless you have made a prior arrangement with the tuning shop! You'll need to flash your car with a tune to suit the injectors. So you'll need a flash tuner with you once you've fitted the injectors.

Are you sure the intercooler from the states will do the job well enough? If you're planning to mod further then tune/injectors then you would be best off going with a FMIC like others have suggested. I'm pretty sure shops will supply/fit for about 2k...

At this stage for me, I can't justify spending money on an intercooler upgrade as I know I don't want to push more then 250awkw, but that might change down the track! I'll cross that road when I come to it though!

Edited by Buf-Phoon
quoting post directly above

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m 8d

bigger squirters will run far too rich , and car if it does run it will run like sh*t and risk fouling plugs and other damage witout being tuned and scaled to suit

• Member For: 14y 4m 8d

Ok will hold off doing injectors myself, The water to air intercooler set up from the states will more than handle my power target, will keep you posted. I am keen to see what you get Jimmy if it is favourable might just save myself a few bucks and go your route. Cheers

• Mmmmm......BOOST
  • Member For: 16y 11m 30d

might want to check out process west web site Kev does some nice water to air gear he might have something to do the job.If you end up going that way .

Ok will hold off doing injectors myself, The water to air intercooler set up from the states will more than handle my power target, will keep you posted. I am keen to see what you get Jimmy if it is favourable might just save myself a few bucks and go your route. Cheers

might want to check out process west web site Kev does some nice water to air gear he might have something to do the job.If you end up going that way .

Gazman, I will let you know how I go!

It would be nice if Kev does have some better performing top mounts, it would be easier to install! Might be something I'll ask him and look at down the track.

• Like 1

• Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member For: 15y 2m

Forget saving money. If you dont want to spend it, dont mod your car.

If you want reliable power, spend up big. "Cheap-Reliable-Powerful" You can choose two, but you won't have the third.

Take it to someone who knows what they are doing and have it all sorted in one hit. Dont risk hooking everything up and 'driving' to a tuner to 'save' a few bucks. It will cost you more and only give your tuner a headache.

• Member For: 17y 1m 10d

Xspeed aluminium airbox sitting on top of motor in place of factory fitted intercooler, Xspeed stainless steel pipe work, HKS SQV blow off valve, Process West front mount intercooler and plenum, injectors, 150 cell cat, de-bunged exhaust and Xspeed tune.

When going through the modifications it picked up ~75AWHP when airbox, FMIC and plenum where changed. This was also with a reduction in boost from 12psi to 11psi, so they are definately mods worth doing.

Xspeed aluminium airbox sitting on top of motor in place of factory fitted intercooler, Xspeed stainless steel pipe work, HKS SQV blow off valve, Process West front mount intercooler and plenum, injectors, 150 cell cat, de-bunged exhaust and Xspeed tune.

When going through the modifications it picked up ~75AWHP when airbox, FMIC and plenum where changed. This was also with a reduction in boost from 12psi to 11psi, so they are definately mods worth doing.

I agree, but then you're pushing 300awkw, sure you can run lower boost to lower the power/torque. I guess for me I know that for now (at least 12 months or so) I'll be happy with ~250awkw. So the intercooler upgrade isn't really on the cards yet, when or if I want more power it'll be the next step.

Dyno Junkie, how's your box and drive train holding up?? It's my major concern with running bigger power, although I shouldn't worry too much, as I usually drive like a nanna and most of the time the wife will be driving it, I guess I just don't need that extra 'worry' hanging over me at the moment!

• Member For: 17y 1m 10d

Bought the car new, about 51,000k's ago, and started modifying it soon after.

Have been running 15.5psi for about a year now with the only mechanical breakages being the front diff bushes.

After I ran the 11.8 @ 116mph pass down the quarter the TTG went straight into have the gearbox serviced and I was very please to see that the oil that came out of the box look like new with no sign of any wear in transmission.

The tune that Xspeed have put into the car is conservative in that the boost comes on gradually, yet still makes ~450kw at the motor.

Do you take it to the drags often? Or launch hard often? I think I'll see how it goes with tune/injectors etc and then look at doing FMIC down the track. I've only had the car 3wks, the wife will kill me if I break her car so soon!