HIRO F6 Member 1,817 Member For: 17y 8m 8d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane, QLD Posted 26/05/10 01:24 AM Posted 26/05/10 01:24 AM Be careful with an inexpierienced tuner.Ive seen a well known Sydney workshop blow up the first FG they tried to tune!
Arkayne Member 203 Member For: 17y 8m 26d Gender: Male Posted 26/05/10 10:02 AM Author Posted 26/05/10 10:02 AM Don't be too concerned with kws if you looking at faster 0-100 times... torque and how it is delivered through the rev range will make a huge difference to how the car jumps off the line.FG's with the small turbo & ZF dont really need to be stalled up much on the street, usually stalling up ends in wheelspin on stock tyres.With the correct offset, you can fit 295s in the rear without any mods, but choose a decent tyre.Its no easy feat making a 1900kg 2wd car jump off the line fast, power/responce/torque isnt the hard part, its getting it to the ground that's the hard part... and smart throttle use Thanks for this info. I'm looking to get 275s soon. What brand should I be looking towards? And should I keep my stock 18's, or go for 20's? Will that reduce my chance of getting a better 0-100 time?@HIRO F6 - Yes, I was definitely concerned when he first tuned my car back in November 09, but since then, it's been running fine without a hint of a problem. So I'm sure he'll be OK retuning it. ----An Updated as well: All mods have been done except the CAT. After speaking to the VCM Suite production crew, my tuner claimed it's probably a better idea going for the 4" CAT and new Dump Pipe (as per recommendation earlier in the thread).We've ran the car a few times without the CAT (as it's still on order), and it's currently making 310rwkw at 13psi (low revs), spiking to 15psi, then dropping back down FLAT (assuming that's the CAT doing this).Is it worth changing the actuator? Apparently I asked him about it, and there's no real benefit changing it at the moment as apparently it can be controlled fine at 15psi with the ECU tune. Is he wrong about this?
seduced Need more power. Now taking donations. Member 753 Member For: 17y 7m 1d Gender: Male Posted 26/05/10 11:09 PM Posted 26/05/10 11:09 PM Change the actuator. Also, forget 20" rims of you want quick acceleration times. 18s with soft rubber will help. Torque is your friend.
Arkayne Member 203 Member For: 17y 8m 26d Gender: Male Posted 27/05/10 02:26 PM Author Posted 27/05/10 02:26 PM Change the actuator. Also, forget 20" rims of you want quick acceleration times. 18s with soft rubber will help. Torque is your friend.Does the actuator need to be changed? I was told it was only needed if you're looking to go over 15psi of boost. Plus, since everything is electronically controlled now, wouldn't the ECU tune be sufficient enough for the stock actuator to work fine?And hmm.. no 20's huh? Drat - that makes the car look like a million dollars lol. So what soft-rubber street tyres do you recommend? I established a 275 is definitely needed, but I don't know brands much, and I'm not looking for anything too expensive ($1000-1200 for a set of 4 would be good?).Thanks!
Roof Member 213 Member For: 18y 24d Gender: Male Location: Perth | Busselton Posted 27/05/10 08:26 PM Posted 27/05/10 08:26 PM I priced up some 275's for my 20's on my old VE GTS only a few months back. $500 each for decent rubber, if you wanna save some bucks you can get some around $300-350 for cheaper tyres.
seduced Need more power. Now taking donations. Member 753 Member For: 17y 7m 1d Gender: Male Posted 27/05/10 11:23 PM Posted 27/05/10 11:23 PM Id go the actuator for piece of mind, im not certain in FGs, but the stock one in my BF is weak.Expect $400 a corner for reasonable 18" rubber. Not sure you'll fit 275s on the stock 18" rim? Forget 20's, they look great but ride like crap, handle like crap, grip like crap, cost a crapload and are fragile. 18s are the best compromise between looks and performance.
Arkayne Member 203 Member For: 17y 8m 26d Gender: Male Posted 27/05/10 11:42 PM Author Posted 27/05/10 11:42 PM (edited) 18's it is then... can anyone confirm if the stock 18's do or don't allow for 275 tyres? So the prices you guys quoted - what particular brand are they? And what exactly do you call soft-rubber Tyres if I was to search for it? Edited 27/05/10 11:45 PM by Arkayne
seduced Need more power. Now taking donations. Member 753 Member For: 17y 7m 1d Gender: Male Posted 28/05/10 12:45 AM Posted 28/05/10 12:45 AM What sort of driving do you do? Track days, mountain climbs, city/highway normal stuff...For example, do you want: High cornering ability and miles of launch grip, but not worried about the mass noise or tyre life; orLess direct cornering ability, not masses of grip, but want a reasonably quiet tyre with an acceptable tyre life; orQuiet and comfortable is number 1, grip can be sacrificed.
Arkayne Member 203 Member For: 17y 8m 26d Gender: Male Posted 28/05/10 04:53 AM Author Posted 28/05/10 04:53 AM It's a every-day-drive car, mostly normal city/street drive car. Never seen the 1/4 mile and don't want it to be a 1/4 mile only car. I want reasonable tyre life, but something with grip ad moderate cornering ability. Hope that makes sense? But I do want a steady tyre for good launch and 0-100 times.
fehlbie Legacy Donating Member 142 Member For: 17y 5m 27d Posted 28/05/10 07:24 AM Posted 28/05/10 07:24 AM If you want awesome grip Toyo R888's or Kuhmo Ecsta's. They are very soft, give amazing grip but will only last 8000kms on average.I personally like the Falken FK452's which have really good grip and you get 20-25,000 depending on driving style.I would go for a well known tyre brand and get a high end sports tyre. I have heard that the continental sports tyres are superb.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now