blujein Member 56 Member For: 16y 5m 20d Gender: Male Location: ACT, Australia Posted 12/05/10 04:47 AM Author Posted 12/05/10 04:47 AM Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys.So, I took my car in for an early check-up (at 700km). The dealer (John McGrath Ford Mitchell) said that the shudder was normal. They didn't give much of an explanation, apart from that it's just "one of those things" and that it was not something to worry about. They did, however, link it to the car being cold, which makes sense to me in that now that's getting much colder (here in Canberra), the car is shuddering harder each morning. When I turn it on of a morning, it shakes relatively violently for six seconds (like clock-work) and then settles down. No problems otherwise.I'm still not particularly happy about it, though, so it is something I'll get them to look at closer when it comes time for its first scheduled service at 3,000km.
XF Falcon <put funny sh*t here> Member 3,365 Member For: 19y 10m 21d Gender: Male Location: Perth, NOR Posted 12/05/10 05:14 AM Posted 12/05/10 05:14 AM Mine is running the Siemens Deka injectors, and occasionally when it hasn't been started in a few days, when it first starts it can run rough for about 2-3 seconds then it sorts itself out and its fine after that. Not sure if that's similar to what you're experiencing. It definitely isn't violently shaking the car around though, more of a misfire almost
FOONIN Legacy Donating Member 678 Member For: 17y 4m 30d Gender: Male Location: CHCH NZ Posted 12/05/10 05:49 AM Posted 12/05/10 05:49 AM arggghhh the pain...if its shuddering while in gear it means the engines stone cold. If it shudders while idleing then I dont know.... I start my car in a REAL cold morning, so far its been down to 2deg. Should always let the car run for a bit first..
blujein Member 56 Member For: 16y 5m 20d Gender: Male Location: ACT, Australia Posted 12/05/10 06:04 AM Author Posted 12/05/10 06:04 AM Mine isn't shuddering when it's idling - only just when it's started. It's completely still and quiet when idling.
FOONIN Legacy Donating Member 678 Member For: 17y 4m 30d Gender: Male Location: CHCH NZ Posted 12/05/10 07:02 AM Posted 12/05/10 07:02 AM ya that's right but when you put it in reverse it shudders a bit??? Mine does it all the time if I dont let it run for like 10-20sec. I put it down to the motor struggling in the cold.
blujein Member 56 Member For: 16y 5m 20d Gender: Male Location: ACT, Australia Posted 12/05/10 07:58 AM Author Posted 12/05/10 07:58 AM It's definitely worse when the car goes straight in to reverse, but it does do it if it's put straight in to drive as well - just not as badly.
FOONIN Legacy Donating Member 678 Member For: 17y 4m 30d Gender: Male Location: CHCH NZ Posted 13/05/10 06:30 AM Posted 13/05/10 06:30 AM bluejein tomorrow try run it under the tacho says fuel/100km is under 6.0 (not the average L/100km) I would almost promise you a positive result.
blujein Member 56 Member For: 16y 5m 20d Gender: Male Location: ACT, Australia Posted 13/05/10 06:37 AM Author Posted 13/05/10 06:37 AM Sorry mate, what do you mean, exactly?I've got that reading on the display as standard, but what should I be looking at?
FOONIN Legacy Donating Member 678 Member For: 17y 4m 30d Gender: Male Location: CHCH NZ Posted 14/05/10 08:47 PM Posted 14/05/10 08:47 PM in my BA under the Rev tacho (I think) there is a digital display. I can change the display to show things like average speed, average fuel consumption etc. There is also a setting on there where I can see a continiously updating view of how many litres per 100km of fuel I am using. I have mine always viewing that. So when I start my car on a cold NZ morning the litres/100km sits about 6.5. The number drops as the car warms up. Obviously as the engine warms up and revs drop. So to stop the shuddering I always run my car until that number in the litres per 100km is on 6.0 or under. All this is basically doing is running the car for 20 second then putting it in gear.
FOONIN Legacy Donating Member 678 Member For: 17y 4m 30d Gender: Male Location: CHCH NZ Posted 14/05/10 10:19 PM Posted 14/05/10 10:19 PM sorry its litres per hour not litres/100km
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now