Causes Of Rough Idle

boost69

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 8d

Guys my car idles very rough and in my attemt to solve this problem I have done the following...

Changed the plugs standard Motorcraft plugs (they are gapped at 0.8mm)...as my car is stock as a rock...

I have cleaned the throttle body and also used the Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner (this didnt fix my idle problem but the car does seem more eager to accelerate...)

Should I be looking at cleaning injectors and changing petrol filter???

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

Hey mate if your car is stock I wouldn't be using the .8mm gap plugs. That will most likely be causing your bad idle.

Use the stock 0.9mm ford plugs.

• Donating Members

Fair enough its the stock Denso Motorcraft plugs I have in the car...I was told by the Ford parts guy that they are pregapped to 0.8mm...maybe he didnt know what he was talking about...but the plugs I was given were for a BF Mark II XR6T...the same plug model number that came out of my car went into my car...though I am contemplating getting another new set all together and see if that makes any difference to my idle problem...

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

It may be worth a try swapping them out. Ive just heard that they can cause idle problem esp on stock cars. If not a clogged fuel filter can cause problems as well.

How does the car perform higher in the rev range? If badly id suggest filter or coils if not probably plugs.

Hope that helps.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 23d

how many km's has your car done??

if you have cleaned out the throttle body and changed the spark plugs I would also be looking at:

- coil packs

- blocked fuel filter

- faulty fuel pump

- possibly faulty or dirty injectors.

• Donating Members

Im siting on about 115,000KMS...(plugs changed with genuine plugs at around 105,000KMS) The car performs well all through out the rev range with no hessitation or flat spots or missfires etc...its as soon I stop at a traffic light you notice the car shaking...appart form that there are no other symptoms...

• Donating Members

My engine light isnt comming on but I guess it can still be faulty and not trigger off any codes?...My average fuel consumption is around 16.5L/100 which is quite high for a stocker...I might take your advice...and change it as I do have the tell tale symptoms of a faulty O2 sensor...

Rough Idle and higher than average fuel consumption...

• Member For: 15y 3m 20d

Get it dyno'ed and you can kill 3 birds with one stone :bangcomputer:

1. Makes sure your 02 sensor isn't faulty

2. Improves your fuel economy

3. Increases the pleasure of driving your car