Fg Ute Axle Tramp

Guest Slash

• Member For: 14y 11m 9d

Some mis-leading info in here. I can assure you caltrac style rods will stop tramp no matter what height the Ute. The problem is they are underneath the leaf so you lose quite a bit of ground clearance.

I made mine for minimal cost and can leave the line full throttle, 15psi and zero tramp.

epaqusej.jpg4aruty5a.jpg

Another option (I hear) works well and someone else has done it in this thread, with good results. Is replace the main leaf with a heavier 10 mm leaf. Also solid mounting the leafs to help remove twist.

rysubuqe.jpg

Spending 6k+ for a 4 link on a street car, to stop tramp is ridiculous. If it is the way you wanna go though, McDonald brothers do a 4 link for half the price.

• Like 1

• Member For: 13y 11m 4d

I bought a new GS ute last year and it had axle tramp problems from the word go. Very soon after I lowered it(alot)and the axle tramp remained as bad as it was. Bilstein took back the rear shocks and revalved them which helped initially but soon enough it was almost but not quite as bad as before. After tuning we ended up with 388kw and the axle tramp remains except for now but that's because the tyres are almost devoid of tread.

I've seen caltracs and the Malwood job. I don't like the underside mounting of the Caltracs type and the Malwood type doesn't give enough clearance(It'll be sitting directly on top of the bump stops) for lowered vehicles. A Carbon Art job would be good but I'm sceptical about the durability of the rose jointed rod ends, The Mac Bros job is a weld in job so that counts it out for me.

So the 10mm leaf sounds interesting or maybe a different design of tramp bar. I've got some LTD(twice as long as the XC type) bars that worked wonders on my XE ute but mounting is likely to require welding somewhere.

It's also been said that the tailshaft and CV's themselves make matters worse in the axle tramp regard?

• Member For: 11y 8m

It's interesting to see how manyeople are having tramp issues, I've only had my new ute a week and with 200kg of tools in the back I'm yet to have any tramp, when I had my Auto it was ridiculous. My cars only just clicked 10,000 so I'm hopeful that a Mal Wood kit with the stock shocks will suffice at least until I get a tune. Can anyone recommend a good suspension shop do deal with this. I've approached most well known suspension shops in Sydney and came back with more questions than answers. Now I've recently moved to the ACT I've got no idea about any one down here.

• Member For: 10y 9m 7d

I get it majority of the time. Lowered , bilsteins and a built tailshaft. Having it lowered I'm skeptical about anything that reduces ride height or clearance.

Anybody changed to the 10mm leaf and it worked? Or how do the malwood rods go?

I have just got my ute back today after getting my rear end done, I have had one axle fixed and the other replaced after it wasn't just bent but the spline had about a 4mm twist in it, I was getting a lot of axle tramp.

I got into a decent conversation with the owner of this company and had told him I wasn't keen on caltracs or the malwood tramp rods so what was suggested to get the leafs custom, thus I now have a 10mm main instead of factory 8, additional rebound leaf, heavy duty clamps 2 either side, solid mounting of the diff, nolathane bushes and bilstein (revalved).

I have been able to put the foot down in first and second and now the ute just gets the power down, no tramp it's not wanting to step out just all Go And a big smile.

FIXED with Malwood Weld-in Tramp Rods. I literally did my first decent burnout as I left the welders workshop for a minute on the spot, no tramping at all. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Guys I've got the Mal wood tramp rods and it still tramps when breaking traction, eliminates it on some surfaces,so it does work but will not eliminate ALL axle tramp. I've lowered it.....raised it.......fitted the rods...... And still get tramp. Cars running 295 rears with 400+ rwkw and I can't believe it still does it. I will be considering the 4 link rear for sure, I've spent so much on this car and to have it tramp doesn't make it enjoyable at all.

When I look at how much ive spent on the suspension, I think I could have had the 4 link rear installed with change left over.

Tothefloor has had success with a 10mm leaf. A diff builder also told me he gets good results with it.

2 conflicting story's about the mal wood rods.

• Member For: 11y 3m 26d

I have the mal wood kit only problem is they sit above the diff so had to remove bump stops. It hooks up at wot though still get that annoying creaking sound at slow takeoff every now and then though so annoying.

• Member For: 13y 11m 4d

I have the mal wood kit only problem is they sit above the diff so had to remove bump stops. It hooks up at wot though still get that annoying creaking sound at slow takeoff every now and then though so annoying.

Yes this is what I noticed on my mates BF ute. His is not as low a mine yet he basically had no travel left with this kit.

• Member For: 10y 9m 7d

I got creaking a fair bit. Haven't noticed it as much lately. Fo you know what causes it?

Wheel/tyre shouldn't have an effect, all though different levels of grip can. Tramp is the diff trying to rotate forward and up, then when it can't go any further, it hops back.

As for the creaking, just try spraying all the tramp rod joints/bolts with WD.