djextreme Member 112 Member For: 17y 5m 2d Gender: Male Location: Melb Posted 03/03/10 11:56 AM Posted 03/03/10 11:56 AM heyI have got some new splits for the front and new rears. I was gonna sound deaden the rear shelf, was told this will help the factory sub a bit, just wanted to know, if I wanna deaden the front doors do I have to do the whole door or can I just get away wth the deadening the area around the speaker on the door???and wat product do ppl use????
PHANTMXR6 It's not a MKI! Member 1,742 Member For: 18y 3m 16d Gender: Male Location: Earth Posted 03/03/10 12:48 PM Posted 03/03/10 12:48 PM If you have to remove the door trim to fit a new speaker, you may as well go to town with the deadener while you're there.I used a product similar to Dynamat, but less than half the price off ebay.
seduced Need more power. Now taking donations. Member 753 Member For: 17y 7m 8d Gender: Male Posted 03/03/10 10:44 PM Posted 03/03/10 10:44 PM Strictly speaking, dynamat and similar products are not sound deadeners. They are vibration dampeners which is what you'll need for speakers. There is no need to cover the whole door with the stuff, all you want to achieve is to stop the panels from vibrating. usually, about 50% coverage tends to do the job and there is no further benfit by piling more and more on. Sure, when you rap on the outside it will sound like a timber dorr rather than steel, but dont be fooled into thinking that it is completely sound proofed, its simply not allowing vibrations. Which is great for improving speaker responsiveness. If you want proper sound control, you will need to deaden but then also absorb and create a barrier. I'm in the process of doing this myself, this 3 stage process will significantly reduce road noise and wind noise while massivley improving the sound of my stereo. The only hurdle is cost. I found a roll of "sound control" which is 1.8x5m and weighs about 80kg and is about 8mm thick. This stuff will absorb and block any sound from entering the cabin.... its also $500.... but there is enough to do two cars or really go to town on one. The only downside? the work involved and the extra weight. But 90% of the time, I would prefer my car to be quiet and refined rather than insanley fast.
djextreme Member 112 Member For: 17y 5m 2d Gender: Male Location: Melb Posted 07/03/10 01:05 PM Author Posted 07/03/10 01:05 PM If you have to remove the door trim to fit a new speaker, you may as well go to town with the deadener while you're there.I used a product similar to Dynamat, but less than half the price off ebay.wat was this stuff called mate?
PHANTMXR6 It's not a MKI! Member 1,742 Member For: 18y 3m 16d Gender: Male Location: Earth Posted 07/03/10 01:54 PM Posted 07/03/10 01:54 PM Sorry mate, over a year ago I bought and installed it.Can't remember.
djextreme Member 112 Member For: 17y 5m 2d Gender: Male Location: Melb Posted 08/03/10 11:23 AM Author Posted 08/03/10 11:23 AM that's cool mate.which part of the door is best to cover? the outside skin or the skin the speaker sits on????
PHANTMXR6 It's not a MKI! Member 1,742 Member For: 18y 3m 16d Gender: Male Location: Earth Posted 08/03/10 11:49 AM Posted 08/03/10 11:49 AM As much of the outside skin as you can physically reach.Not only will it help your speaker but it will cut some more road noise out.
bjc Legacy Donating Member 2,823 Member For: 23y 1m 2d Gender: Male Location: Townsville Posted 08/03/10 12:40 PM Posted 08/03/10 12:40 PM I've been following this topic over at MEA- Board MessageHis idea of sealing the doors is ingenious as our door panels are uneven and using mdf is painful because of that and the door trim.
PHANTMXR6 It's not a MKI! Member 1,742 Member For: 18y 3m 16d Gender: Male Location: Earth Posted 09/03/10 12:47 AM Posted 09/03/10 12:47 AM Dud link unless you're a member, bjc.
bjc Legacy Donating Member 2,823 Member For: 23y 1m 2d Gender: Male Location: Townsville Posted 09/03/10 03:18 AM Posted 09/03/10 03:18 AM Yeah I'm a member, it used to work when I wasn't but that was years ago.Obviously there are heaps more as the topic is 14 pages long but here is just some pics. The stuff used is I think from either roofing or between concrete and brick?It is steel mesh sandwitched between 2 plastic sheets and he used about 4 layers bonding them together. No flex but mouldable.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now