Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 16y 8m 4d
Posted (edited)

Hi all.

I did a search but didn't really find an answer to my questions.

I'm looking at buying a FG ute either XR6T or XR8 manual. Cost will be the same.

I do plan to modify it mildly and was after some feedback from people that have done it before. I already have a skyline race car and a silvia drift car so I'm around turbos a lot but on smaller engines. What is the rough cost to get either car to 300rwkws? Would I be right in assuming the turbo would be cheaper?

I will be towing motorbike trailers and car trailers with car (about 2000kgs total. I know its above the manual towing but I dont care) so has anybody have comments about the towing capabilities of both cars? I'll probably be getting a heavy duty tow pack aftermarket.

Edited by Russman
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 7m 8d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

Tuning the 6t up will be easier and cheaper than the xr8, but say goodbye to your tailshaft if you lower it or carry heavy loads. if you plan to carry 2 tonee, I would get levelers put on or risk chewing out your tailshaft centre bearing.

  • Sandtrap Motorsport
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 10m 10d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

the xr6t will be cheaper and easier to get power out of.

ive towed a few things around in the FG F6 ute, no issues at all, saying that, my xr8 has a lot lower down torque, which would be awesome for towing.

  • Member
  • Member For: 16y 8m 4d
Posted

That's what I would have thought. Confusing thing is that the specs say that XR8 - 520Nm at 4750rpm and XR6T - 533Nm from 2000 - 4750rpm

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: BRISBANE
Posted

Yup, the XR6T produces more torque than the V8, and hammers it all the way !!!

I have the XR6T sedan, standard height. Last year I hired a Kanga, which came with all the attachments. All up in weighed in at 2 tonne. and never again will I tow something that heavy, as every driveway I pulled into, and out of, it just scrapped its tow bar quite severely, it was just too low to the ground, as for grunt though in a straight line it had plenty of that!!

But if ya gonna tow with it, and that sought of weight, make sure you have the ride height up nice and high

  • Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 22y 5m 10d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

Having the turbo under constant load couldn't be a good thing, so the 8 would be better suited for towing in terms of longevity. But if it's fun you're after go the T!

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 17d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Newcastle
Posted

The Turbo does put out more grunt, and at lower revs then the 8..

I was going to lecture you on the towing limits, mainly for the other road users stuck on the bottom of that hill when you come storming down it, but I guess you have copped to many exhaust fumes when you were young.. so rock on Dude !! :buttrock:

  • Member
  • Member For: 16y 8m 4d
Posted

Well I've been towing the trailer and car combo behind my VS SS with standard 1200kg tow bar and larger VT brakes. It's fine. Maybe not legal but still fine. A new heavy duty one will be far better.

That being said. Aussie cars have rubbish brakes. Anybody upgraded to a better brake setup like on the FPV's?

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 17d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Newcastle
Posted

Fair enough.. lots of guys put the Brembo's on their Falcons.. have a looksie in the wheels & handling workshop...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...