XR6TNewbie Member 4 Member For: 18y 2d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 24/09/09 04:32 PM Posted 24/09/09 04:32 PM Hi Guys,Like most newbies I'm not sure if this is in the right section, but from where I'm sitting this seems like an electrical problem, so I hope you can help.To start with, the car is a 2003 BA XR6T Mk I with approx 95,oookm- pretty much completely stock except for second F6 intake and K&N filter.To try to shorten a very long story(issue), the problem I'm currently having, started with the usual stalling engine problem when pulling up to lights etc. I put up with this problem for a while until I got on the forum and did some research.From that research I came to the conclusion that it was the throttle body or TPS, but wanted to know exactly which was to blame. So instead of replacing the whole throttle body and TPS at once, I replaced just the TPS to see if it would fix the problem - it did, hasn't stalled since. However, now the only time it drops in revs like it use to just before it use to stall, is when I have the lights turned on. It happens like before, pulling up to lights etc, the revs drop below 500rpm for a split second, then pick back up, no stalling just drop in revs. It reminds me of exactly how it use to behave just before it would stall proir to replacing the TPS. Also if while I'm sitting at the lights and the revs are sitting at normal idle, if I push the power windows button, the revs drop by maybe 100rpm. Is this an alternator issue or something even simpler that I'm just not seeing?Hopefully someone might have had the same issue and can help, or its just an obvious answer that with my limited knowledge, am yet to figure out. Sorry for the dragged out "shortened version" of my problem.I would welcome any help or advice you may be able to offer me on this topic. Cheers,XR6TNewbie
tab Sucker Moderating Team 32,303 Member For: 22y 5m 4d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 24/09/09 10:10 PM Posted 24/09/09 10:10 PM Could be a dying alternator, but how old is your battery?
XR6TNewbie Member 4 Member For: 18y 2d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 25/09/09 12:14 AM Author Posted 25/09/09 12:14 AM Battery is only about 3 months old. Due to all the stalling and restarting, the battery died. NRMA guy that came out to jump start me, checked the alternator and said it was charging fine, as did the Marshall battery guy that replaced the battery. But I'm still not convinced?
PHANTMXR6 It's not a MKI! Member 1,742 Member For: 18y 3m 10d Gender: Male Location: Earth Posted 25/09/09 11:05 AM Posted 25/09/09 11:05 AM Could also be a dodgy earth.I had a similar issue with a BA XR6.If I got all the ducks lined up it would stall.ie. The aircon compressor cut in, I turned the steering wheel and also dropped it in drive. With all of those things happening at the same time there was too much load on the engine for the brain box to pick it up and raise the revs. Hence the stall.I'd be checking the earth points and cables if I were you.
XR6TNewbie Member 4 Member For: 18y 2d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 26/09/09 03:31 PM Author Posted 26/09/09 03:31 PM Thanks for the input, I'll check out the earth points and cables and see if I come up with anything.
Mike XR6T iTs alL DaRDy........ Legacy Donating Member 780 Member For: 19y 24d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 26/09/09 08:17 PM Posted 26/09/09 08:17 PM nup nup nup, just clean other thethrottle body man, doesnt sound like alt at all 2 me.
saleen Big Gun Legacy Donating Member 4,170 Member For: 23y 11m 19d Gender: Male Location: NSW Posted 26/09/09 09:50 PM Posted 26/09/09 09:50 PM From my experience with my BA and BF, this was the first sign of a dying battery. And I've had faulty batterines aswell. Get it tested by the people u purchsed it from, but if you don't change it you'll find yourself stranded. Double check the connections are tight. BTW - What brand is the battery?
ScatterBrain Legacy Donating Member 316 Member For: 17y 3m 28d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 26/09/09 09:53 PM Posted 26/09/09 09:53 PM I had a similar problem with a BA taxi at work, stalling at lights ect. I think It ended up being a fault with the actual motor on the throttle body, Ill double check on Monday and get back to you.
ScatterBrain Legacy Donating Member 316 Member For: 17y 3m 28d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 28/09/09 08:15 AM Posted 28/09/09 08:15 AM Talked with my boss today, turned out to be the transmission causing it to stall, Unfortunately I don't know exactly what caused it because the trans was repaired else ware.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now