11,500 Nsw Motorists Caught Speeding

Falchoon

• I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 9d

The one with the most infringments is a 'rat-run' that people have used for ages to avoid the main road (Military Road), which is an absolute shocker for traffic every day of the week (Military rd being one of only two roads in and out of the City from the northern beaches). I'd be interested to see which direction gets the most infringements - one side is just over the crest of a steepish hill. And, to be honest, the school itself is not particularly easy to spot unless you happen to be looking for it (esp. coming up the hill). Still, no excuses - I drive that road all the time, and even though my brakes shudder, they can manage to keep the car at 40km/h :oooh:.

• Member For: 20y 11m 27d

45kph over the limit - good god!

Definately think flashing lights are a good idea, some school zone signs are hidden behind trees etc, so if you are not local you may "speed" through at 60. (not that ignorance is an excuse), but there would be some of the 11 500 who would have slowed down if they knew it was a school zone (you'd hope), and at the end of the day is that not what we want to achieve, as opposed the revenue?

Like with parking infringments, their goal should be to reach $0 in revenue, not the other way around.

• The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium
  • Member For: 21y 20d

If you think about it, cars have become so safe with active and passive safety features, the number of people being killed inside motor vehicles from collisions has reduced greatly..........

so.......

who are the people that get killed in collisions? Pedestrians.

Do drivers intentionally drive onto footpaths to hit pedestrians? NO!

Do drivers jump out in front of pedestrians instead of holding their mothers hand? NO!

Children (especially primary and highschool) walk where they want to. They don't cross at the lights, or walk away from schoolbuses, or bunnyhop their BMX bikes across the road.

Why slow a motorist down to 40, why not slow them down to 20 or 10. The motorist not only has to look at his speedo, he also has to be aware of what is in front, behind and beside his car and hopes that the parent (or unmarried mother) is holding the childs hand as they cross the road or hopes that the child is sensible enough to look to the left, look to the right and look to the left again (Just as Hector the Safety Cat used to say) before they cross the road.

Pedestrians are a bug bear of mine and I'm sick of the filthy words and looks they give me when I give them tickets for crossing against the Don't Walk signals!

Roads are for drivers of cars, trucks and motorbikes. Not bloody pedestrians like Harold Scruby of the Pedestrian Council of Australia!!

• My new toy
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 7d
If you think about it, cars have become so safe with active and passive safety features, the number of people being killed inside motor vehicles from collisions has reduced greatly..........

so.......

who are the people that get killed in collisions?  Pedestrians.

Do drivers intentionally drive onto footpaths to hit pedestrians?  NO!

Do drivers jump out in front of pedestrians instead of holding their mothers hand? NO!

Children (especially primary and highschool) walk where they want to.  They don't cross at the lights, or walk away from schoolbuses, or bunnyhop their BMX bikes across the road.

Why slow a motorist down to 40, why not slow them down to 20 or 10.  The motorist not only has to look at his speedo, he also has to be aware of what is in front, behind and beside his car and hopes that the parent (or unmarried mother) is holding the childs hand as they cross the road or hopes that the child is sensible enough to look to the left, look to the right and look to the left again (Just as Hector the Safety Cat used to say) before they cross the road.

Pedestrians are a bug bear of mine and I'm sick of the filthy words and looks they give me when I give them tickets for crossing against the Don't Walk signals!

Roads are for drivers of cars, trucks and motorbikes.  Not bloody pedestrians like Harold Scruby of the Pedestrian Council of Australia!!

I am with you plonky, what happened to the days of teaching children what the right and wrong ways of crossing the road are as I was tought by my parents and if I did not do it right dad would kick me up the a..... and than tell the car to hit me.I have reached 39 and never been hit yet. also have never hit any one yet.

This comes back to owner ship of fault.

Ian

• Gandalf the Grey, Maiar of Manwë and Varda, Team HgAg/Sneaky
  • Member For: 20y 9m 30d

I agree with you to some extent, Plonky ... roads are for cars, but kids, especially little ones have no concept of that.

~2 tonne of car @ 40+ vs ~15 kilo kid = I DEAD KID!

We should do anything/everything to avoid this! :thumbsup:

• vrooom psshhht
  • Member For: 21y 6m 11d

My boss got done outside a school on his way to work. wasnt a camera - was a copper with a radar gun. 47 in a 40 zone.

I dont know why they dont just install more speed humps outside schools. One at the beginning of the zone and one at the end. that will slow ALL traffic down. Plus - the speed humps can also double as crossings.

no wait... speed humps dont raise money...

• Bloody Orange Team (BOT)
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 7d

I personally think the main problem is the 2 different times set for 40km/h zones in NSW. Here in the ACT you have one time, 8am to 4pm and that's it. Less confusion. The 40km/h zones around Canberra are probably the only zones that I actually stick to the speed limit no matter what. All the other zones are usually 5-10km/h more..

• The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium
  • Member For: 21y 20d

Speed humps (or traffic calming devices as they are called.....obviously by someone who doesn't like cars) create noise and doesn't slow the speed of a car down.

Quite frankly, it is impractical and unfair, to impose a 40k school zone on a piece of road that can quite comfortably accomodate a 60k or 80k zone (we have them in the country)

The engineering design of school entry/exits needed to be modified so that the pick up/delivery points are off the road, but because this doesn't happen, the zones have been put into place on pick up/delivery points for schools that have been put into place over 50 years ago!

A little bit of thought by the Education Dept, the local Traffic Committee and the RTA may alleviate these problems. I know for a fact that a rep from the local P&C at any number of suburban schools, will always appear at a Council Traffic Committee meeting and bleat and whinge about school zone enforcement.

The silly thing is that the offenders are the parents of the students that are racing from one school to another to drop off/pick up their kids and/or double parking so they can chinwag for half an hour with the parents of other students.

I think it would be more important to flick the stationary tax cameras and install flashing amber lights (sorry, orange for you younger folk) in each school zone.

Human beings respond to movement, and a flashing light is something that their mind can respond to.