Ute Boxes

michaelhardy

• Member For: 15y 10m 22d

its a bit hard as your boxes are a personal thing and it depends what trade you do and how you run your business or are you an employee

I through a box in the back of my fg that I had and it worked fine if you were just an employee with a standard run of tools or a tiler etc ( trade with stuff all tools ).. it got me down to the point where it wasn't effective and was costing me money so I ditched it and got a tray that'd make me money instead.

box options are pretty simple

1 or 2 down either side

1 across the cab

a full trundle pull out floor with a top on it so you can load still on top

a few small boxes you can move around and take out when not needed

hardlid and milk crates or like my dad a hardlid and an open top plywood box to stop stuff sliding around ..

PB120036.jpg

cheers utemad

• Member For: 14y 9m 2d

Few more pics of different setups is the style side versions would be great all, im in the same boat, have to really set my new ute up nice, the old VY im trading in was much longer and deeper than the XR ssb so need to work on a few ideas, so any pics would be very great full.

• Member For: 14y 10m
Few more pics of different setups is the style side versions would be great all, im in the same boat, have to really set my new ute up nice, the old VY im trading in was much longer and deeper than the XR ssb so need to work on a few ideas, so any pics would be very great full.

Had a look but couldnt find any of the old hilux set up, but as Utemad said it depend on your trade. If your a carpenter/builder you will be struggling with a SSB IMO.

If your a carpenter/builder working out of your ute every day a SSB isnt a good idea has when ever you go and grab something out of the tray you nail bag will scratch the F**K out of the SSB.

Heres a snap of my other utility vehicle .. sorry its not a ford.

post-36074-1248088908_thumb.jpg

• Member For: 14y 9m 2d

The old Audi hey Mick, could imaging rocking up to work in that beast.

As for the SSB utemad is 100% correct here, I have the ssb at the mo and its a task to keep scratch free and tidy with all the tools coming in and out, I always get white in colour since it done show up scratches and slight imperfections for work as much a black or a darker colour,

I love the ssb and wouldnt have it any other way mainly cause I use it for a weekend cruiser and work horse through the week so the hardcover gets me best of both worlds but as said its becomes a task to stay tidy.

Well hope others might have some images of some setups they have done, I seen a few pics on this forum already and have some ideas starting to pop in my head.

• Member For: 14y 10m

I cant think of many options if you wants the hard cover still. Have you considered loosing the hardover and replacing with a checkerplate alloywith access doors, this will make it easy to access the gear right behind the cab.

Some company's including MW sheet metal make trundle trays but with the plastic liners it would be hard cos youd have to find the structure below for the rail fixings.

Why cant you put an alloy tray with tool boxes. I used to have 2 1250x450x400 tool boxes and just took the ladders and compressor and stuff off on the w.e. (yes I do know you said you wouldnt have it any other way)

White in colour is good for hiding scratches.

• Member For: 15y 10m 22d

Roller shutter tops seem way better than hard lids for work as you cant have boxes down the sides with hard lid.. also like most of you would know its wise to cut the box over the guards to get as close to the tub side as possible to save leaning over the body too far.. trouble is if your a contractor making your living off your ute the sacrifices are fairly big and tend to cost you a fair bit of wasted time plus things like getting a worker to get something outa the ute cant happen as they'll treat it like theres and scratch the daylights outa it. plus I found out the hard way that suppliers dont care either when helping load it with stuff like cement bags and get cement all over it and then lean on it aswell.. I found it to be just too hard to live with unless you treat it like a work hack ute and then its fine all beit way too small.

If you can get away without boxes I found it ok but with 1 box mounted how do you get a pair of stools and a drop saw and ladder in let alone fixings and a small amount of rubbish your gunna take away to get paid.. they just aren't practical. also getting racks that'll carry a decent load is really a challenge unless you can put up with a roll bar but then you lose half your side access.

cheers utemad

Edited by utemad

• Member For: 15y 7m 21d

Here's my ute set up- handy for carrying around bits and pieces. Its made out of 16mm MDF- covered in marine carpet. Does the job and only took me a day to knock up.post-31132-1248602565_thumb.jpg