robbo k Member 414 Member For: 18y 5m 26d Location: Wollongong Posted 20/04/09 12:48 AM Posted 20/04/09 12:48 AM hey all I just wanna know if anyone knows if it is illegal to drive ya car around with no bumpers on it?? (in nsw) as mine are lookin every poor n was goin to send them to the painters to get re-done..... I have seen countless cars b4 with no bumpers but seen though I have a clean driving record I dont wanna get done. cheers , rob
dule Legacy Donating Member 1,180 Member For: 19y 5m 17d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 20/04/09 01:23 AM Posted 20/04/09 01:23 AM Don't think it's legal. Rear bumper no one would care about but front might be an issue. But then again the worst thing that could happen to you is a defect notice and a possible $80-90 fine per bumper which will not go on your driving record. I guess it's up to you to decide. Maybe one of the members of NSW police would like to comment on this one...
senna_T Forged Member Legacy Donating Member 15,818 Member For: 19y 7m 26d Gender: Male Location: SW Sydney Posted 20/04/09 01:59 AM Posted 20/04/09 01:59 AM Yeah, the biggest issue is the Front Bar as your number plate is mounted there, I've driven with no rear bar for a couple of days and had no probs. If you were to do it, try and make sure it is for the most minimal time and if you get pulled up just tell the police the truth that the bars are getting painted.
our06t Mmmmm......BOOST Member 3,135 Member For: 19y 5m 5d Gender: Male Location: central coast Posted 20/04/09 01:59 AM Posted 20/04/09 01:59 AM one at a time you might get away with doing both together may push your luck
jimmy1234 Legacy Donating Member 364 Member For: 18y 7m 25d Gender: Male Posted 20/04/09 02:14 AM Posted 20/04/09 02:14 AM I think they can defect you but its all at their discretion/mood.A few years ago I was pulled over for not having a front bumper but my number plate was cable tied on. At first the officer spoke to me as if he was expecting attitude but when I was nice back he just said take it easy some other officers may decide to book you for it.
Dagabond Bored Member Administrator 35,722 Member For: 23y 10m 19d Gender: Male Location: Dé·jà vu Posted 20/04/09 02:18 AM Posted 20/04/09 02:18 AM You'd be mad getting them painted without the car there to colour match...
robbo k Member 414 Member For: 18y 5m 26d Location: Wollongong Posted 20/04/09 02:40 AM Author Posted 20/04/09 02:40 AM (edited) thanks ppl. yeah I only drive me car to work n back but might do it one at a time.... I am stripping the paint off myself so dont think it will be hard to get the match right..... bloke that I work with is goin to do it. he has smash repairer on the side Edited 20/04/09 02:41 AM by robbo k
Moose Member 185 Member For: 18y 5m 16d Gender: Male Location: Ipswich, QLD Posted 20/04/09 03:09 AM Posted 20/04/09 03:09 AM In QLD its illegal to drive with out front/rear bumpers due to if you have an accident involving a pedestrian, the pedestrian could get hurt alot more than when your bumpers are on. As you'd expect, there is alot of metal under those bumpers, sharp edges etc, and if you hit a pedestrian it would give them some nasty cuts etc and make their injuries worse.My thoughts on this have always been if I've hit a pedestrian hard enough to give them some serious/life threatening injuries from the metal under my front bar, I probably would have had a fair amount of force behind me to have killed them also.Ive been defected for having my front bar off, and ive been defected for having rear wing/spoiler mounts on the boot for the same reasons 'butchering pedestrians'
Slymeat Team Kickass Legacy Donating Member 1,926 Member For: 22y 8m 5d Gender: Male Location: Albion Park, NSW Posted 20/04/09 03:33 AM Posted 20/04/09 03:33 AM I don't believe it is strictly legal, I would suggest putting the number plates where they can be clearly seen not just in the front window etc and if you get pulled over and you most likely will just tell the truth and 99% of the time you will be fine.
Superdan Well-Hard Bangin' Member Member 3,422 Member For: 19y 1m 13d Gender: Male Location: Perff, WA Posted 20/04/09 11:51 AM Posted 20/04/09 11:51 AM How about airbag sensors/triggers? Surely some adverse effects there?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now