Pcv Pipe

• Member For: 19y 5m 13d

Hi All,

I was cleaning my throttle body yesterday and whilst re-connecting my PCV Pipe into the crossover manifold the screw thread snapped off the hose. Now I cannot connect the PCV Pipe to the manifold. If I drive the car with no PCV pipe, will it cause any damage? Also what is the function of a PCV pipe and roughly how much will a replacement cost from Ford?

Thanks for the advice and help!

Cheers

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 2d

The threaded fitting is cheap... The little bit of plastic hose is not.

When I broke mine I just sealed it with silicone until I got the new parts. You'll just notice a tiny bit of oil spitting out of the dip stick tube.

great, thanks guys. I just taped it up then and will try to get the parts tomorrow. Bloody cheap flimsy part though. It snapped so easily. Oh well, lesson learned.

Cheers

• It's not a MKI!
  • Member For: 15y 9m 8d

Guys, that's not the PCV pipe fitting or whatever you want to call it.

It's just a breather pipe and fitting.

The PCV and it's associated piping is at the rear of the rocker cover and joins in somewhere at the rear of the inlet manifold.

The function of the PCV is for emissions purposes.

The breather pipe and fitting that you are referring to is just a breather.

• Well-Hard Bangin' Member
  • Member For: 16y 7m 8d
Bloody cheap flimsy part though. It snapped so easily.

yeah, I was surprised at how flimsy it was, but more annoyed that I'd snapped it! :thumbsup: *insert facepalm pic*

Guys, that's not the PCV pipe fitting or whatever you want to call it.

It's just a breather pipe and fitting.

The PCV and it's associated piping is at the rear of the rocker cover and joins in somewhere at the rear of the inlet manifold.

The function of the PCV is for emissions purposes.

The breather pipe and fitting that you are referring to is just a breather.

Thanks for letting us know... again. Ford, who people will be describing the part to in order to purchase it, call it a PCV

Quote; Reef City Ford"BA9V684A is a valve @ $17. The hose would be BA6C661A @ $31" I know it's not actually a valve, but it is called valve, that's all :blink:

Edited by Superdan

• It's not a MKI!
  • Member For: 15y 9m 8d

No worries Superdan, but some people aren't aware that it isn't actually a PCV.

As a mechanic, if my breather pipe or fitting broke and I rang Ford for a replacement part, I'd be asking for exactly what it is, not what a parts interpretter tries to tell me what it is.

It also helps those that don't know what things are to name and describe things correctly so no one gets confused. :thumbsup:

Well after the ringing around I picked up the part today which is completely different to the one I broke. It is the correct part but it appears to have been upgraded somewhere along the line. Its a lot better and stronger and the pipe slides straight in and locks into place, easy. The guy from Ford had no idea what its called either, he called it a valve for "something"...mmmmm. But fix one thing and another breaks...my RH fog light got cracked today, luckily I have a replacement on hand. Very annoying though...