Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 11m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney NSW
Posted

Hi All,

I was cleaning my throttle body yesterday and whilst re-connecting my PCV Pipe into the crossover manifold the screw thread snapped off the hose. Now I cannot connect the PCV Pipe to the manifold. If I drive the car with no PCV pipe, will it cause any damage? Also what is the function of a PCV pipe and roughly how much will a replacement cost from Ford?

Thanks for the advice and help!

Cheers

  • Here since the start...
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 10d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Victoria
Posted

The threaded fitting is cheap... The little bit of plastic hose is not.

When I broke mine I just sealed it with silicone until I got the new parts. You'll just notice a tiny bit of oil spitting out of the dip stick tube.

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 11m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney NSW
Posted

great, thanks guys. I just taped it up then and will try to get the parts tomorrow. Bloody cheap flimsy part though. It snapped so easily. Oh well, lesson learned.

Cheers

  • It's not a MKI!
  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 3m 17d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Earth
Posted

Guys, that's not the PCV pipe fitting or whatever you want to call it.

It's just a breather pipe and fitting.

The PCV and it's associated piping is at the rear of the rocker cover and joins in somewhere at the rear of the inlet manifold.

The function of the PCV is for emissions purposes.

The breather pipe and fitting that you are referring to is just a breather.

  • Well-Hard Bangin' Member
  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 1m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perff, WA
Posted (edited)
Bloody cheap flimsy part though. It snapped so easily.

yeah, I was surprised at how flimsy it was, but more annoyed that I'd snapped it! :thumbsup: *insert facepalm pic*

Guys, that's not the PCV pipe fitting or whatever you want to call it.

It's just a breather pipe and fitting.

The PCV and it's associated piping is at the rear of the rocker cover and joins in somewhere at the rear of the inlet manifold.

The function of the PCV is for emissions purposes.

The breather pipe and fitting that you are referring to is just a breather.

Thanks for letting us know... again. Ford, who people will be describing the part to in order to purchase it, call it a PCV

Quote; Reef City Ford"BA9V684A is a valve @ $17. The hose would be BA6C661A @ $31" I know it's not actually a valve, but it is called valve, that's all :blink:

Edited by Superdan
  • It's not a MKI!
  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 3m 17d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Earth
Posted

No worries Superdan, but some people aren't aware that it isn't actually a PCV.

As a mechanic, if my breather pipe or fitting broke and I rang Ford for a replacement part, I'd be asking for exactly what it is, not what a parts interpretter tries to tell me what it is.

It also helps those that don't know what things are to name and describe things correctly so no one gets confused. :thumbsup:

  • Well-Hard Bangin' Member
  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 1m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perff, WA
Posted

Simple part number worked for me, anyhoo, how about that weather!?

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 11m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney NSW
Posted

Ahh, thanks Phantmxr6...so its a breather. It should be easier now to explain to Ford. What is its purpose?

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 11m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney NSW
Posted

Well after the ringing around I picked up the part today which is completely different to the one I broke. It is the correct part but it appears to have been upgraded somewhere along the line. Its a lot better and stronger and the pipe slides straight in and locks into place, easy. The guy from Ford had no idea what its called either, he called it a valve for "something"...mmmmm. But fix one thing and another breaks...my RH fog light got cracked today, luckily I have a replacement on hand. Very annoying though...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...