New Guy Needing Advice

Guest Jet87

Guest Jet87
  • Guests

Hi Everyone, I'm a new member of this site and indeed Fords generally. I stumbled over this site by accident actually and I hope some of you guys can help me out.

Anyway to cut to the point, I am a big fan of inline 6 cyl. turbo cars and currently own a 87 'VL Turbo Commodore' that I have modified and hung on too for quite a while. Please don't flame me for not owning a ford, the truth of the matter is I have never looked sideways at a ford till now!!

This BA XR6T has got me rolled up. The figures on paper look unbelievable, and until now was very close to buying an Import twin Turbo 'GTR Skyline' 95 - 97 Model as my next big thing. But for close to the same money I can buy this NEW XR6T.

What appeals to me is the fact its an inl-line 6 cyl. turbo & Aussie built & four door (I have a family). It looks great inside and out and statistically swifter than a Late model camira V8 (never been a V8 fan). I've been to a ford dealership in the last couple of days to check it out in person and I have booked a test drive for next week. I may very well join the ranks of people like yourselves if the car proves to be as good as the media is reporting it.

I have sooooo sooo many questions that I want to ask you guys because I know very little of any fords (sorry for the ignorance). But if anyone who owns one of these cars can give me some reassuring words or other advise that I need to know before buying my own XR6T can you please tell me. Oh and is it true that the Sequential auto is better than the manual?

Thx in Advance.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gandalf the Grey, Maiar of Manwë and Varda, Team HgAg/Sneaky
  • Member For: 21y 2m 21d

OK, so it's probably just plain bad luck that your first response is going to come from me ... but, hey, life sucks and then you die. :nod:

Firstly, let me say, Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Then, let me say that I am a total geek with no mechanical knowhow whatsoever, so please don't expect any mechanical eval. I can offer you personal impressions only.

I can tell you that I own (finally) a T and I am the happiest camper on the planet! I say finally, cause it took 110 days to get her. There are a couple of threads relating to the wait for this great car.

In a nutshell, this car goes and stops and inbetween, handles ... take one for a run and you'll understand what I mean.

I don't know what your expectations of this (or any) car are, but I would be totally amazed if you took one for a drive and didn't have to have one immediately.

Best of Luck. :blush:

• I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 9m

And the good luck continues...

As Ken so politley said, welcome to the forum. There are some strange people around here, but don't let that put you off - its kind of fun after a while :thumbsup:

The XR6T is one great car. As soon as you step in for the test drive, you will be hooked.

Some advice or things to look out for:

- if you aren't fussy with options, you should not have to wait long

- if you are fussy with options, get yourself to the nearest bottlo, as the wait can be quite long

- get premium sound if you can

- blueprint is the best colour

- check for rubber bands on delivery :blush:

This site contains a wealth of information - use the search facility if you want info on something in particular, it is sure to have been covered by someone.

• Member For: 21y 5m 5d

Welcome jet, good to see another person interested in such a great car, you won't be flamed for owning a Holden, I liked them better before the BA Falcon, have a look at some of the threads here, we have spoken about many things that will help you decide on the XR6T and what good things you can option for in many Threads on the site, you'll be able to see info on problems, waiting times, many many pictures and modifications. Enjoy and feel fre to ask any questions even if you feel they have already been asked or if you want a better understanding on a perticular topic. :thumbsup:

• Firm Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 10m 19d

Welcome to the forum Jet. :thumbsup:

You cant go wrong with the XR6T and will be blown away once you get a drive in one, in fact the whole BA range ups the ante on the Ford/Expensive Daewoo rivalry.

As has already been said, if you only order one option make sure its premium sound. As for whether to go auto or manual, do a search for this and you will find more threads/posts debating this than you could imagine. It comes down to personal choice, and dont believe everything you read in the mags about the manaul, its not that bad.

Now for the important decisions, like what colour?

Guest Jet87
  • Guests

Thx Ken24T and aniken. Quick replies WOW thx. :thumbsup:

I've already learned alot from this great site. Including the long wait times people have. The clear coat of paint in the engine bay would be nice, hope this is fixed soon.

Also are the standard brakes really that much of an issue for day to day driving? I just need to keep a lid on the extra's as it will start getting a bit too expensive. Premium Sound? Is the Standard sound that bad?

My VL is an old girl and this will no doubt be a big jump for me. Insurance is my next worry, gotta so much to sort out when buying a new car.

Guest Jet87
  • Guests

Thx XrsickT and Mondie.

This Premium sound option has got me. The brochure that ford gave me with all the options doesn't say anything about what the premium sound option gives you?

• Gandalf the Grey, Maiar of Manwë and Varda, Team HgAg/Sneaky
  • Member For: 21y 2m 21d

Don't worry about the double post Jet, it happens ... you'll get he hang of it and in the meantime the mods will help.

Hey Cro, get your arse down here and help out the new guy! (lazy so and so ... ) :lol:

• Member For: 21y 5m 5d

Jet, Premium sound comes with 6 CD in dash stacker, tweeters, speakers in the doors, speakers in the back, an Amp and a sub woofer. When test driving ask the dealer to show you a premium sound system and take along your favourite CD to play..