Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 6m 19d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Bairnsdale, Victoria
Posted

Hey everyone, this is actually the first time I have touched up any major scratches and used a process to make it look reasonable, but I thought I would do a write up anyway...

Here are the scratches.... they are a resualt of the sides of the garage closing in on the car when my girlfriend was driving... hmm...

19012009455.jpg

19012009456.jpg

19012009457.jpg

Firstly I cleaned the area with some wax and grease remover, then I masked off the tail lights and the rear bumper, to minimise areas I needed to polish after.

19012009459.jpg

19012009458.jpg

Then I added a couple (3-4 on deaper scratchs) of coats of touch up paint, being EGO I was pretty sceptical of how this would turn out, but anything is better than huge scratches...

19012009461.jpg

19012009462.jpg

after I had let it dry for a while I took too it with some 1000 grit paper wraped around an eraser (for a bit of rigidity, with a smidge of give) and wet sanded the area (using some water with a bit of detergent in it, making sure the area stayed well wet)

1000:

19012009463.jpg

19012009464.jpg

Then I went on to some 2000 grit, sadly I couldnt get any 1500 or 3000 from supercheap today so this will do for now. If I had the others I would have used them too, in order.

19012009465.jpg

19012009466.jpg

Then a smidge of cutting compound, a dash of polish (would have been nice to have an intermediat cuting compound as well) and here is the result.

19012009467.jpg

19012009468.jpg

19012009470.jpg

19012009471.jpg

As you can see it isnt perfect, but as I said, beter than big scratches. Im happy enough with it for now, when I can get some intermediate papers and compounds ill do it again.

If anyone has any questions, queeeries or suggesting, dont hold back.

  • Cryptic Clothing Company
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 2m 29d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisvages, Capalaba
Posted

that's not bad mate.. gonna put on a clear coat on top of that?

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 6m 19d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Bairnsdale, Victoria
Posted

Ill see how it holds up, should need a clear coat though as I wouldnt have sanded through the clear and the touch up bits dont matter that much.

Also im gonna take the tub off and put a tray on some time shortly anywho. So im not too fussed :P

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 2m 5d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: kenthurst, Sydney
Posted

XA, that would make me weep but that is a pretty good recovery I reckon. You could get a job as a car detailer now. Im paranoid with mine , park in far corners of parking areas, dont let anyone load anything in the ute etc in case they scratch it with their belt. Had to tell some guy who I was talking to next to my car to back off as he was tapping on my tailgate with his wedding ring . Ive probably got some disorder I would say.

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

Like you said mate not perfect but for a home job I reckon you've done real well. Just shows what a bit of effort can produce. I'd imagine a beater would charge a few hundred to do that in a shop.

Brad

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted
XA, that would make me weep but that is a pretty good recovery I reckon. You could get a job as a car detailer now. Im paranoid with mine , park in far corners of parking areas, dont let anyone load anything in the ute etc in case they scratch it with their belt. Had to tell some guy who I was talking to next to my car to back off as he was tapping on my tailgate with his wedding ring . Ive probably got some disorder I would say.

I do the same, I'll park as far away as possible the walk does me good lol my last car was a perfect example of careless door openers and people who have no idea how to park their car or gauge the size of it. So im happy to share the disorder mate and proud of it !!

:spoton:

Brad

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 6m 19d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Bairnsdale, Victoria
Posted

lol, I share that dissorder... when im in my XB, not THAT fussed with the FG (I dont let people lean on it or anything, or touch it when its dirty... oh and I freak out when I get bird sh*t or anything on there :P... mabe im just too lazy for the parking far away bit :P)

Thanks for the comments, it will be better when I get some more sandpaper and some more cutting compound, but yeah, its not AS bad :D

And needless to say Vetty got a stern talking to about taking more care when driving and taking better care of the car, because it is nothing like her old VP that had a million dint and sh*t (which of course she had a big winge about, saying that its cause she didnt care about that car blah blah blah)

  • Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 22y 5m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted
Ive probably got some disorder I would say.

Does hitting the panic alarm when some dumb sl*t decides that your hardcover is a perfect resting place for her handbag to find her car keys mean I've got the same disorder? :ermm:

Good job xa-mont :spoton:

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 6m 19d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Bairnsdale, Victoria
Posted

LOL... I think you got it tab... why doesn't the FG keys have a panic button?

  • Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 22y 5m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

Not sure mate, actually got one of the FG keys myself and it pisses me off not having the scare-the-f*ck-outta-people capabilities.

They obviously didn't think it was needed in the FG :blink:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...