Christoph Clark Member 47 Member For: 17y 11m Gender: Male Location: Radelaide Posted 17/01/09 05:22 AM Posted 17/01/09 05:22 AM Hi Mate,I have a similar situation to you (65 XP & 05 XR6T)The XP was my first car, had it for ten years now.It is currently in the process of being upgraded similarly to yours (302 Windsor etc).There is no way in hell I will be parting with either machine if I was you.You will regret it forever if you sell the XR dude.EXTEND THE GARAGE!!!!!
xr0500 Legacy Donating Member 321 Member For: 20y 9m 5d Gender: Male Location: Hobart, TAS Posted 17/01/09 05:29 AM Author Posted 17/01/09 05:29 AM (edited) Financially do you think that after this "slump" classic car prices will be on the rise or stay steady??The last surge in classic car prices went through the roof, it could be compared to the housing boom. in 2002 I could have bought a xy gt off my girlfriends uncle for 45k!!! Try and buy that car today and it will be worth triple that even with the doom and gloom BS. So do you reckon in the next cycle......8-12 years(all this up and down financial crap is cyclic) that the '67 will be worth idont know......$40 or $50k???Its hard because the '67 isnt just and investment and it didnt start out like that either, it started as a 17 yo that liked ford v8's and it has turned into an investment, but the house is also an investment and im not sure whether the money would be best spent on the house and living comfortably??Oh and no daily driver.....but im getting an Alaskan Malamute and he can pull me to work (3kms away) Edited 17/01/09 05:30 AM by xr0500
mercuryturbo Oh look.... a real car, with no hair dryer Legacy Donating Member 1,724 Member For: 20y 1m 27d Gender: Male Location: Fear and Loathing in Callala Bay Posted 17/01/09 05:40 AM Posted 17/01/09 05:40 AM Decisions, decisions.I sold my '70 Mustang to finance a unit in 2001 & regretted it ever since. Its a tough call either way.
xr0500 Legacy Donating Member 321 Member For: 20y 9m 5d Gender: Male Location: Hobart, TAS Posted 17/01/09 05:45 AM Author Posted 17/01/09 05:45 AM (edited) Hey thanks for all the reply guys, I think this is getting even harder and harder Oh and thanks Christoph, I love the XP's too, I was going to get one too but got the XR cause is was easier to get the v8 into...and it was cheap too!!!Well ive got to go to work guys and do a brutal service for 90+ people with just me and a apprentice (chefs have all the fun....will bring back some pictures of the waitresses ). But seriously when I get back (10pm) I want a definitive answer, lets keep this sucker going!!! Maybe if Clarkson was here he would know what to do.......oh no wait he is here!!!!I feel a group of people making this decision makes it easier and I trust you (well most of you anyway...........I want that money next Thursday Kona ) and I think that re-financing to build a bigger garage is a realistic third option now.Ill leave it to you and catch ya soon Edited 17/01/09 05:48 AM by xr0500
smicky Go Pies!!! Legacy Donating Member 2,852 Member For: 18y 7m 20d Gender: Male Location: Vic Somewhere - Sometimes NSW Posted 17/01/09 05:52 AM Posted 17/01/09 05:52 AM (edited) I second the garage extend... otherwise being more realistic... I would prob sell the T, keep the 67, and leave it garaged!Take the cash from the T and spend it on a POS 150,000Km plus Audi A4 of somethng like that 2nd hand, you know it will be reliable, nice car, easy to drive, yet still cheap to buy, keep and run!... still a nice everyday car and not going to bust the bank...Use the difference in the garage and whats left over to the bank manager! well just what I would do anyways... Some for you and some for me kinda thing! Edited 17/01/09 05:55 AM by smicky
Guest Guests Posted 17/01/09 06:13 AM Posted 17/01/09 06:13 AM I'd be sellin' the '67 XRI love classics but it just ain't the same as driving a TI will add though that now is not really the time to be selling a classic given the financial crisis but if you held firm then it could work
XRPete Member 673 Member For: 19y 27d Gender: Male Location: Here Posted 17/01/09 06:24 AM Posted 17/01/09 06:24 AM Thanks for the input Pete, seems like you aren't as indecisive as you make out to be.....Maybe I should steal you signature hahaHaha. Its easier said from here its not my money or cars. But in all seriousiness I still Have my first car(wanna restore it one day) I was lucky and its at my parents in their massavie shed(unregistered and ready for some TLC). So if at all possible to keep both I would. But like most things it sorta comes back to the $$.Good luck either way.
turbo.vixen Hey guys, Tab is here... Oh i feel sick Legacy Donating Member 8,459 Member For: 18y 4m 14d Gender: Male Location: sunshine coast Posted 17/01/09 06:42 AM Posted 17/01/09 06:42 AM start a poll
iTec TEAM BA Legacy Donating Member 1,755 Member For: 21y 9m 29d Gender: Male Location: North of The Bridge Posted 17/01/09 07:02 AM Posted 17/01/09 07:02 AM sell the turbo, buy a sh*tbox and fix the garage. The 67 is mint, and it has alot more of your sweet in it then the taxi does. at the end of the day you can pick another T up cheaply and easily. something that's not possible with the 67
Venom XR6 Member 1,460 Member For: 23y 5m 11d Location: Geelong Victoria Posted 17/01/09 07:44 AM Posted 17/01/09 07:44 AM The XR will appreciate in value, the turbo will be worth fk all in a few years. Old cars like this will always be in demand and are getting very scarce, whereas XR Turbos are a dime a dozen, you could pick one up anywhere.Classic, not plastic. But even better, keep both and extend your garage, its the only way. It can't cost that much can it?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now