Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Enforcer
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 11m 25d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

My Bf is my daily driver and my boss fuels my car, but the petrol station where we have the work account only has premium fuel (95Ron).

Octane booster eg. Nulon, STP. ect, add 7-8Ron points, so it should be around102-103 Ron.

My car runs fine but is it safe to use and are there any pitfalls?

Has anyone got any info with regard to octane boosters.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

  • It's not a MKI!
  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 3m 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Earth
Posted

I don't think adding octane booster to your tank is going to raise the entire tank to a '102-103 Ron' rating.

Is your car modded and tuned to run on some other type of fuel?

If so, do you have a tune you can upload to accommodate the lower rated fuel?

If your not sure, get a tank full of 95ron fuel, add your octane booster and take it for a run on the dyno and see what happens.

  • Enforcer
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 11m 25d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

Yes, thanks Phantm, I do have a soft tune to run on 95Ron, but sorry not as much fun, and boss won't change the account to a petrol station with 98Ron fuel.

Will the booster lift the pump 95 to at least 98Ron?

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 1m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Broady, Melbourne
Posted

What do the instructions tell you? What ratio is required to raise the octane that many points?

  • TEAM BA
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 9m 27d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: North of The Bridge
Posted

generally they just say add 1 bottle per tank..

it should* be fine

to quote http://www.nulon.com.au/products.php?produ..._Octane_Booster

Directions for Use:

To boost octane add one 500ml bottle to 60 litres of petrol. Add directly to the tank prior to filling. Experiment with lower doses to establish the optimum treat rate to stop detonation. Use with each tank full.

and http://www.nulon.com.au/products.php?produ..._Octane_Booster

Indicative RON increases:

91.5 Unleaded +PSO=96.5 (5.0 RON increase)

95 PULP +PSO=98.1 (3.1 RON increase)

98 PULP +PSO=100.1 (2.1 RON increase)

100 PULP +PSO=103.5 (3.5 RON increase)

(When used at maximum recommended treat rate.)

  • Go Pies!!!
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 7m 17d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vic Somewhere - Sometimes NSW
Posted (edited)

I have run Oct Boost (Nulon Pro Boost) a number of times over the past 3 or so years, in both the Suby GT and once or twice in the F6...

Without any special tune, and found that it does have a slight increase in response... (either it actually does have some positive effect, or its all in my head)!

The Pro Boost is meant to give a higher PSO from memory on the back of the bottle is meant to give from 2-7 points and OBC 2-4 from memory... Price difference is about double for a bottle also... 15$ v's 30$ I think... again not sure havent used it for a while now...

Last time I ran a full bottle of PSO with about 3/4 tank of 100oct fuel just to play on the weekend, and was sure it had some advantage...

I had also spoken to 2 or 3 mechs/tuners, in the past who have said that fuel injected cars such as the GT had a OCT sensor (or something as such) built in therefore, would not require a tune to gain some advantage of the PSO or whatever form you buy... (obviously a tune to that mix would have a greater advantage)... As the car has a OCT sensor the engine management system can and will accommodate for the increase in OCT levels and act/calculate accordingly - hence as the fuel companies say you will get more KM's per tank..... As it effects your AFR.... However drive hard and it will have a higher usage level (I believe the story goes)...

This is also why its is not such an issue if you do choose to run 95 in a 98 recommended fuel system, just as it is 'safe' to run E10 if you wish... (mind you some E10 has a higher OCT rating then 95 PUL also)....

I am not personally a tuner, or mech, however this is what I have been told, and so far on the occasions I have used such products never had a problem...

:diggit::blush:

Having said that - I personally dont believe 30$ extra a tank just to raise the OCT by say 2 points is really worth it to be honest.... So up to you either way!

When ive done it in the past its just to be a bit of a tool on a weekend and anything extra 100oct + the PSO is just to try and get that little bit more zoom zoom without a tune...

Edited by smicky
  • My engine bay is Bionic
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 6m 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Freeways
Posted

There is research that I will try and find that has found that most of the ocatne boosters tested caused a 7hp loss overall. However a few of us were in this pickle on the snowies cruse, after a long detour we had to fill up using 95ron but most of us had a bottle of octane boost. I added the bottle and left the car on the 98ron tune and it went like normal. I do believe that they raise the ocatne level, as in this cirumstance but I dont think they raise the horsepower in any way.

A bottle now and then may also add some cleaning benefits to the fuel and injector system.

I.B.

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 4m 8d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: brisbane
Posted

I use it every now and again on my big tune,if you use it every tank you,ll end up getting a brown film over your spark plugs and you could develop a miss

cheers lee

  • Enforcer
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 11m 25d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

Well I have to agree, It might be ok now and again, but yes my exaust tip was full of a yellow powder residue.

I'm sure that would be through the whole system,eg, turbo, bov, hot/cold pipe, I-cooler, waste gate/ actators and maybe even turbo lube oil/ filter.

It was a very dry dusty and grity kind of residue.

It worked ok but now I think I'll de tune to soft edit to run 95Ron in future.

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 4m 12d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

Hmm , you know I was thinking at one stage... what if I put like x3 bottles of octain booster in.... haha could it damage my car?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...