jetute Legacy Donating Member 4,553 Member For: 22y 7m 26d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 26/08/08 09:17 AM Posted 26/08/08 09:17 AM Driving down the south east freeway the traffic came to a standstill.... I stopped and heard the loudest clunk clunk I have ever heard... I shiat myself and was certain the engine had let go.... anyway I rang dynowog who suggested it might be the flex plate ( I already had it diagnosed elsewhere in brissie and was advised the engine needed to be rebuilt).. so hoping for the best and that nicks over the phone diagnosis was correct, I had a friend come over today to have a look, we drove the car onto ramps, lifted the rear up on car jacks dropped the tailshaft, exhaust and dropped the gearbox by using a trolley jack...... what do we find??? a lose flex plate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! refitted everything, tightened bolts with locktite and put her alltogether... and no more clunk clunk!! all this done on my driveway lol. I spent most of the time lying on my gut, on the driveway, just watching sam hard at it!!geez.. it sounded like the piston was coming through the block!!! Thanks to nick for the phone supprt, thanks to Sam for taking time out on his holiday to fix the farker!!..... at least I didnt fork out for a new engine as per prior recommendation from a local.problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! phew
mic Legacy Donating Member 1,725 Member For: 18y 8m 9d Gender: Male Posted 26/08/08 09:24 AM Posted 26/08/08 09:24 AM its highly unlikely that the engine would spit a rod out at standstill champ, or coming to a hault.
SCRIBR Yaris member Member 4,486 Member For: 20y 3m 6d Gender: Male Posted 26/08/08 09:25 AM Posted 26/08/08 09:25 AM that'd be a good tune to do it at idle :biggun:
jetute Legacy Donating Member 4,553 Member For: 22y 7m 26d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 26/08/08 09:28 AM Author Posted 26/08/08 09:28 AM its highly unlikely that the engine would spit a rod out at standstill champ, or coming to a hault.ask goldie when his spat a rod..... slowing down to a hault at a roundabout on his way to a wedding lol
tab Sucker Moderating Team 32,303 Member For: 22y 5m 2d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 26/08/08 10:01 AM Posted 26/08/08 10:01 AM Yeah true....well that's what he told the wife anyway :biggun:I wonder how many people would blindly just go with the new engine option That's scary
mic Legacy Donating Member 1,725 Member For: 18y 8m 9d Gender: Male Posted 26/08/08 10:08 AM Posted 26/08/08 10:08 AM "Really, that's all it is ? Just a broken engine ? And $10,000 ? Phew, I thought it was my glove box."
ETM Member 1,194 Member For: 19y 6m 14d Gender: Male Location: syd south Posted 26/08/08 10:08 AM Posted 26/08/08 10:08 AM It sounds like a full death rattle doesnt it!I take it you had some loctite laying around on the driveway when you refitted it?
jetute Legacy Donating Member 4,553 Member For: 22y 7m 26d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 26/08/08 10:13 AM Author Posted 26/08/08 10:13 AM yeah tab that's why I shiat myself lol...... pays off getting a 2nd opinionETM.... death rattle lol, yes it does!! went to visit the friendly repco dealer for the loctite
jsmith Legacy Donating Member 712 Member For: 18y 11m 3d Gender: Male Location: Blacktown Posted 26/08/08 11:02 AM Posted 26/08/08 11:02 AM Really HATE to be be the bearer of bad news but I have found in my years in the trade that loctite on flywheel/flex plate bolts is a bit of a bad thing.The ONLY times I have ever seen either come loose is when the bolts were done up with loctite. (surprising I know but bear with me)When you do the bolt up the loctite gets squeezed out between the crank and the f/plate. Over time the vibrations cause this loctite to break up and then causes the f/plate to come loose again.For your sake I hope it doesn't happen to you. You prob don't want to do that job again.
ETM Member 1,194 Member For: 19y 6m 14d Gender: Male Location: syd south Posted 26/08/08 11:11 AM Posted 26/08/08 11:11 AM when mine came loose there was nothing on the threads, I put loctite on when I reinstalled and havent had a problem touch wood.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now