Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 2m 22d
Posted

Gday, I have an XR6 with premium sound, but the sub has blown. I dont want to mount an enclosure under a new sub, and wouldnt have the slightest clue what free air subs would fit and if possible would sound better than the factory sub. Any suggestions????

  • You are a dead set goose
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 9m 30d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

I don't think the factory sub is anything special so almost anything would sound better. It all depends on how much you want to spend?

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 2m 22d
Posted

Thanks for the reply. Really just want some bass again. Im not overly fussed on SQ, even though the factory sub was pretty dodgy, I would be happy enough with somethin that would just do the job. Ive heard the JBL 8 inch sub would sound better than the factory sub even without mounting a box underneath. Any ideas?

  • You are a dead set goose
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 9m 30d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

Do you want to retain the factory position of the sub in the parcel shelf or do you want a larger one in a box?

I've got a 12" JL sub and a monoblock drilled into my seat and it sounds great. It's no 'Dillz sick uleh boom boom Lancer' but it's a good crisp bass. I'm getting a custom box made atm which will mean it will sit in between the spare wheel well and the rear of the back seats so they don't take up too much room if you get a box made.

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 2m 22d
Posted

I would like to keep the sub in the parcel shelf if I could.Mind you down the track I will probably look at puttin in somethin bigger and better. More lookin for a bit of a quick fix for now

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Aus.Vic.Melb
Posted

Yeah, I put the JBL one in the parcel shelf.

It was a marked improvement over the factory one, that being said I now have a full install with a RF 12".

  • 1 month later...
  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 3m 17d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Blackburn, VIC
Posted

If I want to swap the factory sub for the JBL one, willi need to upgrade the AMP aswell? or will the factory ap be sufficient for the JBL sub?

cheers

  • Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 3m 19d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

The factory amp pushes the JBL fine, you should be able to pick one up for ~$99

  • Go Pies!!!
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 7m 12d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vic Somewhere - Sometimes NSW
Posted

Bruno, others...

There is a lot to a 'good' sounding sub... Box is a big part of it...

if you just want a 'snap' fix... go to trashfield (never go for really installs they are just trash- in MOST places, not all), and look at something cheap and simple in a 8" which they might have... If your in Sydney go talk to the boys at Ryda in Petersham... or even your local autobarn or JB Hifi...

There is a few rare 8" free suns, but they will require a better amp...

Something like an entry level Pioneer, or JBL will work, but it wont be 'good' it will just be OK.... and do the job.... u might even want to look at cheaper stuff like Philips, or some Chinese Cheap as chips job, which will get u by until u want to do the job right...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...