Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

now we're talking - thanks fellas.

I have 2 weeks to get this sorted research wise and then will go for it when I return to Perth.

Your input is greatly appreciated

:grouphug:

  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 1m 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Broady, Melbourne
Posted

As far as rears, I'm upgrading to BF spec rears in DBA slotted and brand new callipers with pads. Retail is around $600 I think.

  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 5m 24d
Posted

Hi

I picked up BF FPV set up front 4 pot Brambos & 355mm rotors & rear 1 pot PVR 328mm rotors. You can get them for around $2000 used but in good condition & I added braded hoses. Gave them a good test last week & was very happy with the set up. They are easy to fit but you can get it done as cheep as $50 per corner at any brake shop.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 1m 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Broady, Melbourne
Posted

Brambos and PVR huh. That's them cheap Chinese copies yeah? So how do they compare to the Brimbos And PCR?

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 5m 8d
  • Location: Canberra
Posted

Mate, I was in exactly the same place you are now ie. wanting a decent upgrade to my brakes, mainly for increased safety for the family (I have a 2 and 4 year old). I agree with the others in that you need to specify some sort of price range. I mean, everyone has a limit, otherwise I assume you'd be driving something like an M5 rather than an XR6T.

I opted for the PBR 'premium' brake upgrade (I think these are the C6 calipers everyone is talking about), with DBA 4000 series slotted rotors (don't get the cross drilled ones) and braided lines, and the difference is enormous. I think this would more than suffice for any sort of street driving and, as others have said, even some light track work. Remember, in a single emergency stop application, it is your tyres that will make more of a difference than anything else. Repeated hard stops is where the bigger brakes really come into their own, and this situation sounds unlikely in your case.

Another thing to bear in mind is ongoing costs, just check out the prices of rotors and pads to suit some of the Brembo applications. Sure, if money REALLY is no object, the bigger the better I suppose (although the hard core performance brakes tend to squeal more too), but they're literally up to 5 times the cost (to buy) than the PBR upgrade, with subsequent increased maintenance costs.

I can highly recommend the PBR setup for the prupose you are describing. Hope that was of some help and good luck. :idunno:

  • Forged Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 8m 4d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: SW Sydney
Posted

:idunno:

I have the Full PBR upgrade kit and I find them such a massive leap forward compared to the factory brakes, the braided lines give a much better pedal feel too

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 3m 3d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: OZ
Posted

Well said bugster! I have 20" wheels with 225 front cheapo tyres so big brakes won't do me much good unless I go down to 19's. PBR C6 is the best value for these cars.

Attached is a pic of two different 330mm upgrades to use with the std calipers. Left is $350, right is $935 I think. The right uses DBA4000 series rotors and includes pads. The brackets on the right kit also look a little more sturdy! I went for the left as I'm a tightar$e....well broke actually lol.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...