JJW1978 Member 28 Member For: 19y 3m 9d Location: Perth, WA Posted 30/01/09 02:22 AM Posted 30/01/09 02:22 AM MB Quart vs. Soundstream for 6" splits? I'm looking at upgrading the fronts soon and would like high quality. I've heard a lot of positives for the MB Quart's but also read a lot about the Soundstreams but never met anybody with them. I hear they're also very very good. advice?
JJW1978 Member 28 Member For: 19y 3m 9d Location: Perth, WA Posted 30/01/09 02:23 AM Posted 30/01/09 02:23 AM or if anybody has other options it would be appreciated
smicky Go Pies!!! Legacy Donating Member 2,852 Member For: 18y 7m 12d Gender: Male Location: Vic Somewhere - Sometimes NSW Posted 30/01/09 02:48 AM Posted 30/01/09 02:48 AM (edited) Mate, read my post #6...Speakers are personal!As many of us have said - its a thing for your own ears to choose/pick!Basically try to test a set of Soundsteam and MB's in the same store...They will have a different sound and 'signature' - make sure u listed with your own music, and make sure the tone levels and settings are all 'flat' this will ensure that the reproduction from both is a fair comparison... Ultimately if you can get them on the same sound board with the same amp and HU powering the speakers - not easy as most stores keep branded boards...You may even find that there is something else that better suits your ear/music type...Both SS and MB have a range of speakers, which vary in sound as well...Let me/us know what models of each you are looking at and I/we can try to advise on spec v's spec but that's all it will be... (ie- which has a wider frequency range, and greater power handling etc... but all this depends on your amp, sub etc as well)...Anyways hope this helps!! Edited 30/01/09 02:51 AM by smicky
trickdoubt Member 25 Member For: 17y 8m Posted 30/01/09 03:12 AM Posted 30/01/09 03:12 AM how bout the hertz range
smicky Go Pies!!! Legacy Donating Member 2,852 Member For: 18y 7m 12d Gender: Male Location: Vic Somewhere - Sometimes NSW Posted 30/01/09 03:48 AM Posted 30/01/09 03:48 AM Hertz are not a bad speaker either... had demoed a few and didnt sound bad to me... again havent heard the whole range, but what I did hear wasnt bad...again - personal thing - listen with your ears not your $$$...As for quality - All mentioned so far on this thread are either good mid range speakers to some serious bit of gear... so all good so far!
JJW1978 Member 28 Member For: 19y 3m 9d Location: Perth, WA Posted 30/01/09 04:01 AM Posted 30/01/09 04:01 AM Mate, read my post #6...Speakers are personal!As many of us have said - its a thing for your own ears to choose/pick!I wouldn't dream of buying speakers I hadn't heard with my own ears. I was asking mainly out of curiosity of the build quality of the soundstreams. MB Quart's have a very good rep and was just wondering if the soundstream's are up to that same standard. but since you ask I'm looking at the top of the range models for both types. something like a PVI 216 for the MB Quart and a RF-60C for the Soundstream. I'm not looking for a loud system just top notch quality. the soundstream one seems to have a pretty high power rating. hmmm, maybe I've just answered my own question.can you advise on some other top end brands?
yw84u Member 148 Member For: 20y 8m 16d Gender: Male Location: Gold Coast Posted 30/01/09 04:25 AM Posted 30/01/09 04:25 AM Read post #6+ $1500: Focal, MB, Seas, Dynaudio, Morel, McIntosh, and many many more.$500 - $1500: Alpine, MB, JL Audio, Infinity, Polk, Boston, Rockford, Focal, etc.$500 +: Pioneer, Clarion, JL Audio, Alpine, even Jaycar Car Audio Gear....For a sub 500$ speaker - my pick is and have been for a number of years now - Pioneer's E Series (Splits for the front and 2 way 6" for the back)...most well know high end brands are listed there. I have Dynaudio Splits in my car and absolutly love them. You can turn them up as loud as you can stand and they are still so clean and accurate with no distortion at all. I run MB quart 6x9 in the rear as wellhere a pic of my doors
smicky Go Pies!!! Legacy Donating Member 2,852 Member For: 18y 7m 12d Gender: Male Location: Vic Somewhere - Sometimes NSW Posted 30/01/09 04:39 AM Posted 30/01/09 04:39 AM (edited) MB PVI 216 vs SS RF-60C...Specs wise - the MB's have a far wider frequency response 50-20k on the SS compared to that of 38-32k...So in theory - without looking at a wave form reading I assume the response is +/- 3db... They are both around the same DB rating 87/90 so not much difference there - again assuming they are both tested in like for like manner...this means what?your MB's are going to sound brighter and deeper (again in theory) and the SS not so... Keep in mind that the human ear can only hear from 20 -20 k anyways... and it is a general rule/belief that anything over about 90-120DB is going to cause discomfort... So long in short if I was looking at specs only I would prob lean towards the MB's for all round listening...Again your type of music may be better suited to the SS then the MB's...Build quality on both - looking at images only appear to say both are well constructed...If you want to consider others around the same sort of price point...$500 - $1500: Alpine, MB, JL Audio, Infinity, Polk, Boston, Rockford, Focal, etc.edit:yw84u - has recommended Dynaudio - very nice speaker - very accurate and clean... some people say to much so, that they are 'boring' - again personal preference... I like Dynaudio when listening to Frank Sinatra and if I was cruising down the highway everyday, but when it comes to trance and dance etc, they are a little dull IMO... But never less a very serious driver and speaker setup! They will set you back upwards of about 750$ from memory...Other then cheap 50$ speakers, and JB Hifi's Cadiance, and (sorry the other brand that is theirs I forget now), and Sony - I believe generally are not bad - yes there is some I cant think of now but most you will be good, providing they are correctly installed and matched with the correct amp...My personal preference is with high end - Morel, and Focal - also some of the Audax, and Scan Speak speakers from DST - but when you start to talk about brands like Audax and Scan Speak your talking about bare drivers which need custom xovers and serious design work! Edited 30/01/09 04:49 AM by smicky
alpha Member 266 Member For: 19y 6m 25d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 31/01/09 04:15 AM Posted 31/01/09 04:15 AM how bout the hertz rangeI bought a 10" HERTZ sub for my ute... (paid approx $400 with custom box) and I'm happy with it.
Trough Lolly Member 4,349 Member For: 22y 20d Gender: Male Location: Mildura Posted 01/02/09 04:11 AM Posted 01/02/09 04:11 AM (edited) boston acoutstics ( I run these myself)FocalHertzAudisonRainbow audio ($$$)Phoenix goldOz AudioMorelElateJL Audio (high end range)anything from these guys will impress you.you wont find most of them at your local mainstream audio shop though!whatever you do, dont be a tightass on an amp to run your fronts. Edited 01/02/09 04:23 AM by Trough Lolly
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now