Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • 100,000Ks and still going strong.
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 4m 19d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Launceston Tas
Posted

Hi guys, Tonight after work when I started the ute up I noticed the engine light was staying on. After a quick look at the users manual it said something about the emmisions being to high. What could have cause this as it was OK on my way to work and during my lunch break when I did a quick sprint down to the shop. The only thing I have done to the ute before hand was put in a kinda heat sheild over my pod filter to try and stop engine heatand I also have the original CAI still attached and the phoon intake aswell blowing into the space that is covered..........SO ?????????????????? It's got me. I will take the sheild off in the morning and see what happens but other than that does anyone have an idea what else could be making the light stay on..........

  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 9m 5d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: south australia
Posted

mine comes on when I feed it a bit too. To get the light off disconnect the battery and then conect it up again. is your ute had mods and is it an auto for mine has both. my manual never done it but the auto does it a fair bit when it gets a hard time. let me know if u find out thanks.

  • 100,000Ks and still going strong.
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 4m 19d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Launceston Tas
Posted

it is a manual bf MKII and it stays on all the time after I start it.

  • www.australianflag.org.au
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 2m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

Mate a friend of mine has a barina that did the same thing after 800 km, was a faulty throttle sensor. So dont rule out sensors, sorry about as much help as I can be.

Scotty

  • Large Member
  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m 27d
  • Location: Brisvegas
Posted (edited)

Someone will be along to correct me no doubt but my understanding is the Cat has reached a condition that means it doesn't reduce emissions to the level required by law. The 2nd 0^2 sensor is picking up a higher level of 0^2 then it should, or the heat sensor has reached a predetermined temp.

So you cat could be overheated, collapsed, on its way out, etc.

that's my layman understanding

Felix

p.s. If its edited try flashing in another tune and then going back to your old one and seeing how long or if it comes back on... or I think you can pull the main big fuse out and wait 5mins and then plug it back in and try again.

Edited by Felix
  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 11m 4d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cairns QLD
Posted

mine engine light comes on when I sink the boot into it. took it to ford and they told me I needed a new accelerator peddle

  • 100,000Ks and still going strong.
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 4m 19d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Launceston Tas
Posted
Someone will be along to correct me no doubt but my understanding is the Cat has reached a condition that means it doesn't reduce emissions to the level required by law. The 2nd 0^2 sensor is picking up a higher level of 0^2 then it should, or the heat sensor has reached a predetermined temp.

So you cat could be overheated, collapsed, on its way out, etc.

that's my layman understanding

Felix

Felix I think I have the same ute as you (ripcurl) it only has 11K on it so if the cat has pooed itself then warranty here I come. Just have to put the original airbox on first I think. If I can't work it out theni will take it into Ford and see what they say.

Bloody computers.

  • Large Member
  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m 27d
  • Location: Brisvegas
Posted

Dont quote me, like I said I'm sure someone will be along to tell you different. I guess it could have just been a really hot day, and to much stick... the light is to warn you that you 'could' be doing damage, so all might be ok. Like I said reset the error code and see if it comes back on I guess.

Then again, maybe I should stick to being a sparkie, tried to be a chippy today and thay almost ended in disaster! :tease:

Felix

  • Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 22y 5m 8d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

I'd say it's probably something as harmless as a faulty oxygen sensor - provided they have some in the country (unlike when I required one :tease: ) it's an easy fix. The dealer should be able to plug their magic computer in and figure it out.

Make sure you get it diagnosed sooner rather than later though - it could be a myriad of things.

  • Large Member
  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m 27d
  • Location: Brisvegas
Posted

See told ya someone would be along... plus he said myriad so he clearly knows his sh*t.

Felix

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...