Oem Tyres

FamiliaGTRAe

• Team "I don't have no Falcon now"
  • Member For: 20y 10m

G'day,

Having read some other threads on the tyres are both the 17" and 18" rims fitted with Dunlop SP9000 tyres, and if so do people seem to like them?

Having driven a festiba!!! :o on some super sloppy OEM Hankooks, and my current ride is on some (IMHO) poor A 420 Yokohama's, I just wonder if I'm going drive on these 18" SP9000's and go yuk, where is the S0-3's or Pzero Neros or whatever is the last "it" tyre, or am I going to find the SP9000's quite a nice tyre suited to the chassis and driving performance of the XR6t?

I seem to recall that the EL XR's were the first to run OEM Yoko's 510? then later 520's? Anyway I guess I can be happy that they aint Nankang or Double Coin or retreads! 130km/h limited! bugger! :angry:

Cameron

Guest raoulc
  • Guests

I've done 12000k on my 18 in Dunlops SP9000. They are pretty good. My last Ford a V8 Fairmont Ghia with 17 in Dunlops lasted 40,000 ks. I replaced it with Yokohamas because they were cheaper but it only lasted 25,000 ks. If I can afford it I will stick with the Dunlops. Saying that - its been real wet lately and the car seems to slip a bit when accellerating. Not sure if its the tyres or just heaps of power.

Guest BlackMagic
  • Guests
G'day,

Having read some other threads on the tyres are both the 17" and 18" rims fitted with Dunlop SP9000 tyres, and if so do people seem to like them?

Having driven a festiba!!! :o on some super sloppy OEM Hankooks, and my current ride is on some (IMHO) poor A 420 Yokohama's, I just wonder if I'm going drive on these 18" SP9000's and go yuk, where is the S0-3's or Pzero Neros or whatever is the last "it" tyre, or am I going to find the SP9000's quite a nice tyre suited to the chassis and driving performance of the XR6t?

I seem to recall that the EL XR's were the first to run OEM Yoko's 510? then later 520's? Anyway I guess I can be happy that they aint Nankang or Double Coin or retreads! 130km/h limited! bugger! :angry:

Cameron

Cam',

I do attend to agree with raoulc and feel that the tyres do tend to give way a bit in acceleration, though they are quite new only 1000k's so far. But also as I tend to go to work when the sprinklers are on in the morning, they also seem to lose a bit of trac, but I guess you're not suppose to take roundabouts at 80k's are ya'? :D Will keep you posted of any further progression in the mean time.

Jonno

• Firm Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 27d

l like the SP9000's, they are an upmarket tyre and perform well.

We got 40000km out of the set on our TS50, that's excellent mileage for a heavy and powerful car.

Guest cul08r
  • Guests

The SP9000s are only in the 18's. The 17's are SP3000 ir something. The 9000 is a good alround tyre, but it won't last on the track. It is a new version of Dunlops renowned FM901, which I haver had on my rex before. My current tyre is a Falken Azenis Real Sport, which is a semi-race tyre. Great in the dry, sticks like the proverbial, but need to be cautious in the wet. Also hates standing water.

Back to the topic, if I can get these in 18s when I get my XR6T, I will be using them. The SP9000 is to expensive IMHO. $500 per hoop for an 18 is near top dollar.

Andrew

• The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium
  • Member For: 21y 19d

I have had a lot of experience with the SP9000 (and I'm Dunlop through and through!) and I'm not that keen on them. The have a real tendency to tramline when they are 3/4 to 1/2 worn and it was very noticeable on the AU XR8.

As soon as they were worn out at 20k I had them replaced with the Dunlop FM901. This tyre is absolutely brilliant but they didn't have the silica content of the SP9000 which means that they were slightly inferior on wet roads.

In saying that they had a very good tread pattern, had not trouble getting 20 to 25 k out of them (in HWP terms that is brilliant), the rubber compound was very good and I had them on my WRX, Mercedes and now have them on the Alfa.

As far as the 17" v 18" rim debate....I'm a fan of the 17" wheel purely because the extra bit of sidewall gave the wheel an easier time than the lower profile on the 18". We have replaced 6 SS Expensive Daewoo rims (in 18") due to potholes and the like which are quite common on country roads.

I don;t believe there is a significant loss in handling in the 17" rim. I retained the 16" rim on the WRX because ProDrive believed that it was the ideal compromise between handling, longevity and strength in the wheel.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 2d

I tend to think the SP3000 is a bit noisy on the road.

May just be that I'm not used to the BA road noise but on some road surfaces the tyres a very noisy.

Guest 62xl144
  • Guests

I've just replaced the SP9000s on my AU II XR8 with SP3000s. I got just over 40,000km on the set. The left hand rear inside edge had gone, but most of the remaining tyres had a small tread depth left - maybe a mm or so. I believe that's a good distance for tyres on an XR8.

When I went to replace them, I was told Ford had locally developed the SP3000s for the BA XR8 model, so I thought I'd give a try. They were a fair bit cheaper than the SP9000s to replace.

What I've found with these tires, is that at low speeds, they tend to move around a bit more. I can understand why some people suggest the BA XR8s gone a bit short. But hooking into corners ar 'more elevated' speeds, and I find the tyres give more assurance. The car just feels better balanced. Road noise also doesn't seem to be as load, although this could just be a new pair of boots with more thread.

I'd also have to agree with plonky; the SP9000s did tend to tramline when more than half worn.

• Used to work at the Ford Proving Ground!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 2m 1d

The standard 18" SP9000's tyres on the Falcons are not to bad, although they wear out pretty quick. I have seen them stuffed on cars around 20-25k on cars that have been driven firm but wheel alignment always spot on! They tend to be a noisier tyre than the SP3000's too. They also tend to wear out faster than the 17" SP3000's. The SP3000's are a good tyre for normal and hard road use but wont last on a race track, but that's not where they were designed for! I'll stick with the factory tyres on my Xr's and I'd suggest to others to do the same. Tried other tyres and didn't like them!

As for tram tracking I have found that the BA is less prone to tram tracking even with wornout tyres than what the AU was with new ones on! Must be the new IRS!

With these tyres being abit noisy that is true but you get that generally with a performance tyre its all about compomises! I find that all the road noise comes from the rear of the cabin and intend to line the rear wheel arches with sound deadener to see if it quietens it down a bit! that's my only real concern with these cars.

Hope that helps!