Doolz Member 55 Member For: 18y 10m 15d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 21/11/07 04:31 AM Posted 21/11/07 04:31 AM Hey guysA mate is offering to swap my current xr6t standard intercooler for his after market one. I think that it is a Monza brand. It can bolt straight on as a replacement. He says it was the largest direct bolt on that you can get. Is there a problem with just upgrading the intercooler without anything else? My car is still stock and I am looking at doing a phase 1 or 2 upgrade early next year. Its not often that this type of thing comes up. Like to hear your thoughts.
Joey Member 182 Member For: 18y 11m 26d Gender: Male Location: Australind, WA Posted 21/11/07 04:38 AM Posted 21/11/07 04:38 AM The general concensus I have picked up from the all knowing folk on this forum is that if you replace the intercooler you are probably going to need a custom tune. The standard cooler is so restrictive that when you bolt on a newy, the increased flow through your intake will cause you to overboost and make the car go into limp mode. Dont take my word as gospel, but I believe you can get away with things like filters and CAI, but intercooler or else a full exhaust will require a custom edit.Cheers
BFHOON Legacy Donating Member 1,932 Member For: 20y 6m 5d Gender: Male Location: nsw Posted 21/11/07 04:51 AM Posted 21/11/07 04:51 AM its a bit of a lucky dip, it may run rich or lean, it may be perfect but if u change the cat and zorst you will need a tune for sure.
Doolz Member 55 Member For: 18y 10m 15d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 21/11/07 04:58 AM Author Posted 21/11/07 04:58 AM well I suppose that it is not the best idea. maybe I should but him a standard one off ebay and then when I mod the car, I can use that intercooler when I get the stage 1 or 2 kit put in.
BFHOON Legacy Donating Member 1,932 Member For: 20y 6m 5d Gender: Male Location: nsw Posted 21/11/07 05:10 AM Posted 21/11/07 05:10 AM it may pey for you to look around the posts in the intercooler workshop sub forum on here, there are a lot of informative topics in there and some site sponsors with good deals on intercooler kits too.
BUL11E Member 89 Member For: 21y 2m 7d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 21/11/07 06:31 AM Posted 21/11/07 06:31 AM I replaced my stocker with a phoon cooler and there was no difference that I noticed, ie no overboost.
seventytwo Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel. Legacy Donating Member 5,368 Member For: 21y 2m 22d Gender: Male Location: The 8th Dimension Posted 21/11/07 08:08 AM Posted 21/11/07 08:08 AM The F6 cooler does not flow much more than the standard XR one so should not be a problem as for the bigger free flowing coolers as BFHOON said some xr6t are more tolerant than others when it comes to mods, if you do decide to chuck it on at the very least get it on the dyno to check the boost and AFR. Cheap insurance at less than 100 bucks against 1000s to replace an engine.
SHOWDOWN BACK SLOWER THEN EVER! Member 706 Member For: 19y 2m 26d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 21/11/07 10:39 AM Posted 21/11/07 10:39 AM I think a few people have run monza coolers (wogcooler) on standard cars, as mentioned a lucky dip on your afr's. If your going to do it get your car checked on the dyno. I replaced my cooler and ubp and the car would overboost at the drop of hat.Ozzie
RAP1D Member Legacy Donating Member 3,739 Member For: 20y 4m 9d Gender: Male Location: Sydney NSW Posted 21/11/07 11:53 AM Posted 21/11/07 11:53 AM It should be fine, but get a boost gauge onto it if you havnt allready and keep an eye on it... get it on a dyno too just to be safe and know exactly whats going on... cheap insurance
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now