Typhoon - Auto Or Manual

Cashie

• Member For: 17y 2m 19d
Yeah but how can you drive a car that goes clunk bang bang and has a 2 mile shift from 2nd to 3rd. The 6 speed manual is a pig box better suited to a massey furguson tractor. If they had a decent, tight, and smooth 6 speed in them then fair enough, as Quk Smurf pointed out SIMPLY UNACCEPTABLE IN A 60K PLUS CAR.

As far as the clunkyness and noise goes I'm with you 100% but as far as shifting goes, I havent got a problem, I can shift from 2-3 just as quick, if not quicker then 1-2.

The biggest problem I belive (apart from the noise) is the clutch it is horrid... but I have the xr6t not the f6, I've heard that the f6 clutch is quite good...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 7d

The F6 Manual Box action is fine, no problem at all through the gates. A mile better than the Expensive Daewoo stuff. Clutch is fine too, however pick up point higher than you would like. There is a problem with the clunk through the drivetrain......that is ordinary and in time I hope to play around with bushings and different weight oils (redline) to try to improve this.

• It's All In Your Mind
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 11d
The F6 Manual Box action is fine, no problem at all through the gates. A mile better than the Expensive Daewoo stuff. Clutch is fine too, however pick up point higher than you would like. There is a problem with the clunk through the drivetrain......that is ordinary and in time I hope to play around with bushings and different weight oils (redline) to try to improve this.

Hi Rob, for what it's worth, mate watch the Redline in the 6 speed manuals. I read the brochures and forked out plenty to put it in both the BA Phoons and both had stuffed 2nd gear synchros by 12,000klm, although the oil quietend the boxes for that time it was too much of a coincidence. After the synchros were fixed I then went to TRANSMAX Z and had smoother shifts and just as quiet. One car had done 80,000 klm and the other 37,000 when I traded them and never had another issue after the TRANSMAX

• You are a dead set goose
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 5m 10d

Are you sure you were using your clutch pedal in those 12,000kms?

To wear your synchros that quickly is damn near impossible unless it's a drift/circuit car and you don't like using your clutch!

How the HELL did you manage that!?

• It's All In Your Mind
  • Gold Donating Members
Are you sure you were using your clutch pedal in those 12,000kms?

To wear your synchros that quickly is damn near impossible unless it's a drift/circuit car and you don't like using your clutch!

How the HELL did you manage that!?

Hey R Spec. I wondered the same thing myself, but both of the cars had it happen to them that's why I have become suspect of the REDLINE in the trans. I don't do any track stuff or any burnouts etc. I drive fast but not hard and don't thrash the car through the gears. After 12,000 klm in both cars the things used to graunch going into 2nd and sometimes 3rd. Both gearboxes were fixed under warranty and I don't think it was a bad batch of boxes because the cars were Nos 13 and 333, so one was 320 gearboxes later then the other. But as I sid once they were fixed the TRANSMAX Z did just as good a job at 1/4 of the price

Thanks Hypno, much appreciate that input.....how about the diff?

Hi Rob E

Mate I never bothered to change the diff oil and never had a problem with the standard stuff ford uses. Never got the noisey diffs in either car, but I did in the first xr6turbo I bought in the early days

• Member For: 19y 4m 8d
Thanks for all the great feedback guys, I am leaning toward the ZF now.....

Now to get looking for one.

Driven both lately just to answer exactly the question you raised. Verdict? Not so easy!!

Loved the manual box, I found it positive and very easy to use, shifting was a dream. The whole package of clutch/ shift and box was without flaw. Running the manual in WOT through every gear and slamming the shift as fast as possible, this car did not miss a beat and put a smile on the dial much bigger than my first XR6T drive back in 2004. Down side - maybe having to be a bit busy in heavy traffic but so is any manual.

The auto makes the F6 feel a bit tame in real world conditions, great on the drag strip but the car feels different with the manual box, a more " high performance feel?"

Personally, the manual no question. Wife would take the ZF.

Now that's really cleared it up for you hasn't it? :hiall:

• It's All In Your Mind
  • Gold Donating Members

:Doh: Auto is faster, easier, quieter, and intuitive enough to know when to change up and down. It seems to be luck of the draw with the manuals as to whether you are going to get a smooth one or lots of rollover noise in my case out of my 2 phoons both manuals 013 was and still is after nearly 100,000klm smooth and quiet, 333 was and still is noisy and clunky. Also with a manual you are 100% guaranteed backlash from day 1. Owning one for a while gives a much better judgement than thrashing a couple around the block or whatever. If you want to have a pure drivers car go for the 6 speed, but if you are in traffic a lot go the auto.

Whatever way you go you are getting a high performance machine regardless. Maybe I'm just getting lazy :stirthepot: