Slammer Member 81 Member For: 19y 6m 1d Gender: Male Location: Motherland Posted 20/10/07 01:39 PM Posted 20/10/07 01:39 PM Hi Sorry if I’m in the wrong section but after playing around with a relay in my car today and having no luck I decided to post here. The problem I’m having is that the lights that I have connected to the relay turn on automatically for no apparent reason (to me anyway ) after an amount of time 30min aproxFirstly what I’m trying to do is that when I open my doors/turn on roof light, a relay gets tripped and turns on other lights. So I connected a trigger cable to the light on the roof and to the relay. The original lights still works I just made slide connectors Here is a diagram of how I setup the relayReal Life(yes I know that's a 4g cable, dont ask)All of this works fine the extra lights turn on when the cabin lights turn on and off when the cabin lights turn on. The problem lies as mention before is the just the extra lights turn back on after a period of time thus meaning something is tripping the relay and keeping it on. For the time been I have to unplug the rigger wire. I’m not very electrically minded, I just know the basics Any help will be appreciated. The Car is April 06 BF
senna_T Forged Member Legacy Donating Member 15,818 Member For: 19y 8m 4d Gender: Male Location: SW Sydney Posted 20/10/07 11:34 PM Posted 20/10/07 11:34 PM If you leave an interior light on in our cars it will turn off after a while, could have something to do with it...
Slammer Member 81 Member For: 19y 6m 1d Gender: Male Location: Motherland Posted 21/10/07 12:04 AM Author Posted 21/10/07 12:04 AM If I leave the cabin lights and the neon’s on they both do turn off after a period of time. On that note during most of my testing I manually turn of the cabin lights thus turning off the neon’s. So does the computer/wt ever send a signal after a period of time regardless whether the lights are off to make sure they are turned off? Like reverse flow of current or something? Also I found that once the neon’s turn on by them self and then I turn the lights on the neon’s they turn off and then back on. hmmmm
xrdreaming Legacy Donating Member 1,693 Member For: 23y 8m 11d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 21/10/07 12:12 AM Posted 21/10/07 12:12 AM (edited) If they are not coming on when you have disconnected the trigger wire, that would suggest that the problem lies there. The trigger wire must be suppling voltage because if you had a short in the relay or the wiring it would still happen when the trigger wire was unplugged.It is strange that your interior lights don't come on though when the trigger is suppling voltage to the relay.If you have a multi meter, measure the voltage from the trigger wire when you turn the lights on and try to leave the meter connected to the trigger wire and watch what voltage is present when the new lights turn on.Can you toggle it from the light switch on the ICC? If the new lights come on and you turn the interior lights on and off again do all of the lights go out? Where are you picking up your trigger from, the lights or the door switch, if it is the lights, maybe try the door switch and have a manual overide for when you want them on without the doors open. Edited 21/10/07 12:16 AM by xrdreaming
Slammer Member 81 Member For: 19y 6m 1d Gender: Male Location: Motherland Posted 21/10/07 12:59 AM Author Posted 21/10/07 12:59 AM The trigger wire must be suppling voltage because if you had a short in the relay or the wiring it would still happen when the trigger wire was unplugged. my point because if I unplug the trigger wire nothing happens the hole thing is dead. It is strange that your interior lights don't come on though when the trigger is suppling voltage to the relay.yep Can you toggle it from the light switch on the ICC? If the new lights come on and you turn the interior lights on and off again do all of the lights go out? Where are you picking up your trigger from, the lights or the door switch, if it is the lights, maybe try the door switch and have a manual overide for when you want them on without the doors open.If I use the lights switch on the ICC the neon’s mimic identically the interior lights thus turning of and on. Also the same thing applies if I open and close the doors the lights and neon’s turn on and off at the same time. I connected the trigger line to the centre interior light( blue cable I think, it was the only one that worked as desired. The other cable didn’t turn off or of properly.) The lights still works as I just cut the cable and connected the trigger line to the original with slide contacts.
Slammer Member 81 Member For: 19y 6m 1d Gender: Male Location: Motherland Posted 21/10/07 08:26 AM Author Posted 21/10/07 08:26 AM I just tried a different relay and after waiting for an hour the same thing happened.
Slammer Member 81 Member For: 19y 6m 1d Gender: Male Location: Motherland Posted 21/10/07 09:02 PM Author Posted 21/10/07 09:02 PM thanks for the help,I have fixed the problem
RUS531 RUS531 Legacy Donating Member 410 Member For: 20y 1m 21d Gender: Male Location: Emerald QLD Posted 23/10/07 07:46 AM Posted 23/10/07 07:46 AM can I ask what it was mate? its got me too.... the positive side should be a green wire with a yellow trace and the negative should be the black and blue? keeping in mind that the system switches the negitive... it should have worked... I would have taken the positive for the relay from the battery saver circuit though, just because it keeps everything on the same circuit...tell us what you found?CheersCameron
Slammer Member 81 Member For: 19y 6m 1d Gender: Male Location: Motherland Posted 25/10/07 10:30 PM Author Posted 25/10/07 10:30 PM Hay sorry for not replaying sooner. I just disconnected the 12v+ Constant opposite the trigger line and connected back to the green with yellow trace. The trigger line is connected to the blue with black trace.Anyways it makes sense to do it this way originally but so in not sure why I didn’t
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now