Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

I have been having some problems with my car and seeing as how its leased I took it into a certain Ford dealer at Indooroopilly in Brisbane. After 2 days of them working on it trying to diagnose the fault their verdict was the wastegate actuator on the turbo was stuffed and this required a complete turbo replacement, the bill a whopping $4500. Not what I wanted with only 3 months of my lease left.

I rang our good mate Ian (aka Goldie) and asked is this right a new turbo charger because the waste gate actuator was faulty. He told me no bring it down and we will have a look. A couple of days later took an early morning trip to the Gold Coast to let Ian have a look. A bit of fiddling connect a boost guage and a quick run and his diagnosis was a little different, the boost control solenoid was at fault shees less than $100 fitted. Car was still missing under hard acceleration so a new set of plugs run some 98 ron through it and this had almost gone.

During our last cruise I noticed going through the twisty bits the miss was getting worse as the engine temp increased quick word to Shane (Rapid F6) "its a coil mate bet anything on it" Well I bought a new coil and started swapping these out one by one this morning and yeehaa after the second swap all the misses are gone. Thanks a lot Shane you were right.

Well the washup of this little saga:

Certain Ford dealer at Indooroopilly your service sucks!!!! ford customer care are going to hear about this. You have lost Ford a sale on a Territory Turbo, as after all of your efforts I have had enough and Im heading off to another brand (dont worry its not the dark side I am still a Ford fan). Wont have the same go as a Terry Turbo :banghead: but Im hoping for a lot less problems than I have had. And I wont ever have to go back to that service department, what a joke they are. This is not the first time they have ripped me off and every fault I had I went back more than once before things were rectified. And continually received the standard Ford dealer respsonse they all do that. I know I should have changed dealers.

Additionally Thanks a lot Ian you are a legend and have saved me heaps. Thanks also to Shane for the final assistance to get it just right. All up repair cost of less than $240.00.

Be very careful of your dealers diagnosis on your cars especially once they are out of warranty.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 7m 15d
Posted

My friend has had on going trouble with that dealer as well. They said they couldnt find any fault with her car overheating (had the car three days) then gave her car back with no coolant in the system!

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 5m 12d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

$4500 replacement turbo diagnosis for a stuffed $50 solenoid? For shame.

Thank God for sites like this, that's all I can say.

  • Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 22y 5m 6d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

Great that you got to the bottom of it Greg, imagine how pissed you'd be if you went ahead with the $4.5k turbo replacement only to find nothing had changed!

Not sure that it warrants a bitsnpieces replacement though :spoton:

  • e-drifter
  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 11m 27d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gold Coast
Posted

Good you got it sorted on the cheap, 4.5k still seems a bit steep for a turbo replacement?

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 4m 4d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: brisbane
Posted
Good you got it sorted on the cheap, 4.5k still seems a bit steep for a turbo replacement?

with ford you can not buy actuator seperatly hence why they told you to replace turbo, bit like if you had to replace tail light and you had to buy new car. why couldn,t they just tell you that you could buy after market actuator and have it fitted some where else now that would be the right thing to do.

  • Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 22y 5m 6d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

....except it wasn't even the actuator in any case!

  • No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 7m 17d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

It is great news Ian has sorted out anothe Ford stuffup.

I would hate to think how many people just hand over the cash to get the problem fixed.

  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 5m
  • Location: Cessnock
Posted
It is great news Ian has sorted out anothe Ford stuffup.

I would hate to think how many people just hand over the cash to get the problem fixed.

Ford mechanics got no idea with turbo gear , they are only new to the boost game . When I got cars first service , the guy I was talkin to in the workshop could not even give me the right explanation on how a BOV worked . He told me it helped keep boost up like anti lag . :spoton:

Could have got 2 new turbos for 4500 $$$ .

  • Formerly Turbo6
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 8m 23d
  • Location: North Brisbane
Posted

:sick::blink: Well don't I feel like the smart one now??

Good to see it was what I thought it was big fella! Much cheaper!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...