Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 4m 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

HI

I have just purchased a 2004 xr6t ute and am looking to improve the sound. I have been reading about replacing the centre muffler with hotdogs or straight pipe, or is it better to go a whole new system. the only prop is I have a budget of around $500. I am in a bind. I want a nice clean throaty sound when you give it a bit but I also want to notice it when driving around at normal pace. I was leaning towards the hotdogs but what do you guys recomend.

Any help would be great. :spoton:

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 1m 9d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Adelaide
Posted

I've got strait pipes and I'm happy with it

its not too loud when cruising and sounds good when you're giving it a bit cost me about $100

  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 4m 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

is it louder with or without the hotdogs? do you get a drone when cruising

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 1m 9d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Adelaide
Posted

it would be louder without hotdogs

no drone

  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 6m 17d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: S.E. Melbourne
Posted

Mate since you have a ute it wont drone anyway, unless you dump the exhaust off at the dump pipe :)

Oh and it would also be cheaper not to get the hot dogs!!!

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 1m 13d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

before I had the new exhaust fitted in the ute, I had the rear muffler removed and stright piped it sound good and had no drone

  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 4m 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

Thanks for all you help. I decided that the best was to go is to just get the centre muffler cut out and replace with straight pipe. its cheap and from what you guys have said the sound is :spoton: . thanks :roflmbo:

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 6m 11d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Victoria
Posted

Ok, what about sedans??

I finally got the green/ amber light from my local service centre that replacing exhaust from cat back would be basically impossible for Ford engineers from warranty inspections to prove that it was the reason for faults.

So Im now in the market to give the car a better note without major drone.

What do people suggest & what are the costs??

  • Three pedals are better then two..
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 4m 5d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted (edited)

Good topic, I'm in the same position as TUFXR6T. I can't spend 1600+ on a full system atm but I want a nice note with no drone. Also will straight pipes effect back pressure at all. What about bov's just a quick "pssstch" is all I want any suggestions??

Edited by XRTPSI
  • Hench, but no longer shredded or tanned.
  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 6m 3d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Canning Vale, W.A
Posted
Good topic, I'm in the same position as TUFXR6T. I can't spend 1600+ on a full system atm but I want a nice note with no drone. Also will straight pipes effect back pressure at all. What about bov's just a quick "pssstch" is all I want any suggestions??

Mate all you need to do is get the center muffler removed and get it replaced by straight through pipes, makes the car sound tough, and it will set you back around 50-80$ :spoton:

as for the BOV to make that noise just unplug it at the back and buy a 10$ monza oil filter and fit on top of the BOV

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.ph...st&id=30465

Heres a pic for you, it's easy, all you gotta do is loosen and removed the 'turbo intercooled' cross over section and fit it to the end of the BOV

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...