xhute0 Member 55 Member For: 19y 4m 29d Gender: Male Location: Bordertown SA Posted 01/05/07 08:45 AM Posted 01/05/07 08:45 AM I recently purchased an xr6t which has had a suspension setup put under it by herrod. I had it in for a wheel alignment recently and the fella at the tyre shop told me it had 3 degrees too much camber on the right rear wheel and it was around 15mm lower. The question is: as this is not adjustable, will a camber kit solve this problem? The wheel aligner was unable to tell me as he dose not deal with aftermarket suspensions very often. Any help would be much appreciated as 19 inch tyres aren't sheap
teeg Member 372 Member For: 21y 2m 15d Location: SA Posted 01/05/07 11:36 PM Posted 01/05/07 11:36 PM I have Herrod suspension in my car and the basic kit actually came with a K-mac camber kit, so you may have it actually fitted. If one of the springs is lower, the spring might be gone and needing replacing. Firstly though, take it to someone who does deal with aftermarket suspension and knows what they are looking at, least they may be able to point you in the right direction and also align the car properly once fixed.
turbo_nick some guy... Member 277 Member For: 23y 11m 14d Posted 03/05/07 12:23 AM Posted 03/05/07 12:23 AM Geez, a wheel aligner who doesn't know much about aftermarket suspension setups? Good God! That's frightening.Where are you located xhute?
Goobz Member 746 Member For: 21y 11m 16d Location: Sutherland Shire, Sydney Posted 03/05/07 10:19 PM Posted 03/05/07 10:19 PM I wouldn't be going back there again!
turbo_nick some guy... Member 277 Member For: 23y 11m 14d Posted 04/05/07 07:28 AM Posted 04/05/07 07:28 AM I wouldn't even drive past the shop.Look, although I'm a "qualified" wheel aligner, I am not a wheel aligner by trade so my knowledge of wheel alignments is ample but rudimentary. Even I know enough about BA suspension to not make such a call. The industry is full of monkeys...
galconn Member 101 Member For: 21y 1m 6d Posted 04/05/07 08:30 AM Posted 04/05/07 08:30 AM Agree with the last sentence, plenty of zoos around, but finding competent and knowledgeable wheel aligners/suspension specialists is akin to finding good tuners -they are extremely hard to find.
xhute0 Member 55 Member For: 19y 4m 29d Gender: Male Location: Bordertown SA Posted 05/05/07 08:47 AM Author Posted 05/05/07 08:47 AM Thanks for the replys. Guys. I ahven't been on the site long (as I haven't owned a turbo long) so any replies are good. But, and I have'nt had time to put it in my profile, I am at least 200ks from my nearest real city ( I am based in Bordertown) and by the guys own admission his job is to fit tyres, fix tractor and semi punctures (and as far as any of this goes I would swear by him, including basic wheel alignments), so having a shot at him is not entirely fair, after all he was honest, how often do you see that these days?Anyway had a chat to the guys at beaurepairs a few miles away and they reckon that a camber kit will rectify the problem.Cheers again again for the replies
turbo_nick some guy... Member 277 Member For: 23y 11m 14d Posted 05/05/07 03:30 PM Posted 05/05/07 03:30 PM Well, throwing money and patching things up will fix anything, yes, but cars just don't develop 3+ degrees of negative camber and drop a corner 15mm for no reason. There might be other underlying issues which may need fixing.
Dagabond Bored Member Administrator 35,722 Member For: 23y 10m 13d Gender: Male Location: Dé·jà vu Posted 05/05/07 04:00 PM Posted 05/05/07 04:00 PM Or it was like that since the fitting of the suspension and didnt have a camber kit fitted at the same time.....
Dagabond Bored Member Administrator 35,722 Member For: 23y 10m 13d Gender: Male Location: Dé·jà vu Posted 05/05/07 04:00 PM Posted 05/05/07 04:00 PM Or it was like that since the fitting of the suspension and didnt have a camber kit fitted at the same time.....
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now