044 And Swirl Pot

• Member For: 17y 6m 22d

hey guys

I have just finished fitting my bosch 044 external and redline 2L surge tank in my BF F6,

you may ask why go external when a walbro will fit straight intank?

well being a ute it is not an easy task to do at home on your garage floor so I went eternal.

the other thing was making 300kw it is not very safe to run under 1/3 of a tank with the factory swirl pot and intank pump, and I do indulge in some late night drifting with the jap boys.

so off with the hard lid and out with the tray liner, it appeared I would still have to take the whole tub off to get to the tank and lines ( sh1t I said ).

ill just drill the spot welds out and remove the front panel hiding all the lines and pump. he he he

next I made a 5m thick mounting plate for the swirl pot, it tuckrd away so nicely between the outer skin and tub liner.

mounted the 044.

removed the factory pressure and return lines and cut the plastic hose off so I had my clip on ends for the tank and fuel rails

ran the hoses too easy

pinched signal from the pump and constant from factory harness

vwala done

now I can make safe power all the way to the bottom of the tank

swirl pot $200

044 $220

hoses $50

clamps $20

relay $7

plate $5

doing it myself to my standards and self satisfaction $1000 000.

post-9768-1174207418_thumb.jpg

post-9768-1174207434_thumb.jpg

post-9768-1174207446_thumb.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Member For: 17y 6m 22d

no I bought it all from a magical mysterious online auction site :roflmbo::spoton:

dave pinched my last injectors so as soon as my next ones turn up its back on the dyno

300rwkw with standard exhaust and cooler :crybaby:

• 3 months later...
  • Member For: 17y 2m 22d

ok ive completed this same install, thanks a heap 04rsd for the insight, and so ive decided to add a few things...

here is a pic of what my install looks like, a little different from 04rsd`s, but very similar.

post-10800-1183285114_thumb.jpg

now the details...

first, the fuel lines... if you measure the metal fuel lines under the car running to the engine you will find that the feed is 5/16" and the return is 1/4" so I bought some of the same size fuel hose to suit...this was my first mistake....huh you say? well The stupid factory clips on the fuel tank and again on the metal lines, need the next size up hose! So you want 3/8" for the feed, and 5/16" for the return otherwise you wont be able to get the lines on the clips!

next, the surge tank... exact same rig as 04rsd. scored some offcut 8mm plate alum from the local fab shop bin for $5. The only drawback with it mounted here is the risk from an accident and potential fire... perhaps a better location would be under the center of the tray, but I couldnt be bothered...

next, the wiring. did the exact same as 04rsd, but heres a few more details. You run the relay 'switching' off the power going to the stock fuel pump, so when the stock fuel pump runs, so does the 044. This doesnt power the pump, its only an intelligent switch so to speak. So you dont overload the wires running 2 pumps of the same feed, you need to get the feed from elsewhere. We ran the feed from the other big pink wire that comes out of the drivers side loom. it has constant power and it runs to the back of the tray to a plug- which is unused in the utes... I think it may be for a towpack or somethin?

And finally the mounting of the 044. as you can see from the pic, I mounted mine in a slightly different location. I tried initially to copy 04rsd, but it was such a pain in the ass to access I mounted it where you can see and get to... the other thing worth doing (which I havent done yet) is to RUBBER MOUNT THE PUMP! its so freakin noisy... im gonna put rubber on both sides of the metal the pump is bolted to in order to insulate the pump from the car body...

the other thing with the pump, is that my bosch 044 didnt come with any fittings... just a funny looking thing which I figure is some sort of non return valve...so I had to get a 'banjo' from the local hydrolic shop such as pirtek or enzed etc, and some copper washers clamped between a nut with closed end to complete the outlet of the pump...

good luck

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 28d

Good job boys!

Personally I've never had fuel surge issues in my ute using either the stock pump or the walbro I have now.

After speaking to a few highly modded ute owners it appears the fuel surge issue is more a sedan thing.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 9m 4d

The only way to make that pump bareable is to use the proper mounting bracket $50 and mount it on the rubber lugs that you pull off the factory cooler. I tried everything and that was the only way. once the pump and fuel gets hot it will get louder. Mine was really good I mounted it under the tray on top of the diff away from it of coarse

• Member For: 17y 2m 22d

if im on a smooth quiet road at 60km/h windows up I can hear it. at 80kph its alomost drowned out by road noise. a little music and I cant hear it, so its not that bad, but im fussy... yes, I did use the proper bracket, just no rubber... intercooler mounts you say... hmmm...goes off looking for the the old cooler stuff...

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 9m 4d

Dont forget its cool at the moment wait till temps start to rise summer all you will hear is buzzzzzzzzzzz buzzz buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz the fully rubber mounts allow the pump to vibrate without transferring the vibration to the car :spoton: