ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 22d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 06/03/07 05:45 AM Posted 06/03/07 05:45 AM Interestign reply from Nulon. When I was a mechanic 20 years ago we used to have every man and his dog come to the workshop and try to sell us additives. I must admit that Nulon was the workshop choice, but I was informed about the coating problem by several "experts" mostly the ones selling their additives.I guess they must be doing something right if they are still around. I can attest to their products working in the gearbox as we had a totally dry gearbox run for 5km after a rock cracked the housing.I was looking at their oil range recently and it looked good and affordable.
SavageF6 Legacy Donating Member 1,622 Member For: 22y 5m 17d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 06/03/07 05:56 AM Posted 06/03/07 05:56 AM Yeah, I must admit that I was a bit sceptical of the additive stuff myself until I did a bit of reading about their inhouse tests in the past. They once drove a VC Commonwhore from Syd to Melb after completely draining the oil out. The oil had been treated with one of their PTFE additives and run for a period of time, before it was drained. Incredible when you think about it.I'm currently on my first fill of their top shelf 10W-40 synth. By all acounts, I'm a very happy camper. I only paid $39 per 5lt pack as well
Ghia Member 191 Member For: 23y 9m 28d Gender: Male Location: Aus.Vic.Melb Posted 11/03/07 05:34 AM Posted 11/03/07 05:34 AM (edited) I'm currently on my first fill of their top shelf 10W-40 synth. By all acounts, I'm a very happy camper. I only paid $39 per 5lt pack as well ←Hey Spruce, Where did you get the 10W40 from?I was going to use that last time but couldn't find it in any of my normal shops.And for what its worth, I used to use Nulon Performance Engine Treatment in my XE and it seamed to make the engine run much more smoothly and quietly. Dont know if it had any actual friction reducing benefits but it seamed a lot nicer running Edited 11/03/07 05:37 AM by Ghia
BA_XR6Turbo_Ute Member 106 Member For: 21y 1m 1d Location: Sunnybank, brisbane Posted 11/03/07 06:38 AM Author Posted 11/03/07 06:38 AM that's it then, nulon oil and additive in next oil and filter replacement. If it helps make the engine quiter I'm all for it. What about the e30. Anyone using the longterm treatment?
Kimberley Scott www.australianflag.org.au Legacy Donating Member 6,763 Member For: 21y 2m 19d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 11/03/07 07:15 AM Posted 11/03/07 07:15 AM I found the Nulon oil at Autobarn, been in for 5000km, does the same job as Castrol edge, from where I sit. If this remains the case then its Aussie, its priced well. So I will stick with it. Cannot see the value of PTFE additives for engines, Gearbox and Diff yess, but engine needs good oil and regular changes.My thoughts only.Scotty
ford number 1 Legacy Donating Member 602 Member For: 22y 1m 7d Gender: Male Location: N/W Sydney Posted 11/03/07 07:32 AM Posted 11/03/07 07:32 AM Im also using Nulon oil but im using their 15w-50 100%synthetic oil
SavageF6 Legacy Donating Member 1,622 Member For: 22y 5m 17d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 11/03/07 02:38 PM Posted 11/03/07 02:38 PM (edited) Hey Spruce, Where did you get the 10W40 from?I was going to use that last time but couldn't find it in any of my normal shops.←I'm in SA at the moment, and had to hunt for it myself. Autobarn supposedly stock it, but I only found one pack. If you go to the Nulon website, they have a store locator on one of their sub menus.Cannot see the value of PTFE additives for engines, Gearbox and Diff yess, but engine needs good oil and regular changes.←No argument with the good oil and regular changes, that's a given. For me, the PTFE and its residual coating is an insurance thing. I've personally had it save one engine as I said, so in the event that I push the envelope and destroy my oil pump, I'm happy that my oil starved donk will have more of a fighting chance than it otherwise would have in such an event. To each his own. Edited 11/03/07 02:44 PM by Spruce
loopism Tractor Driver Member 709 Member For: 20y 7m 26d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 12/03/07 12:56 AM Posted 12/03/07 12:56 AM What temps does our oil see (highest would be the turbo bearings maybe?)? PTFE (Teflon is a brand-name) melts at 327 deg C and thermal decomposition starts at 400 deg C.
Ghia Member 191 Member For: 23y 9m 28d Gender: Male Location: Aus.Vic.Melb Posted 12/03/07 01:09 AM Posted 12/03/07 01:09 AM I'm in SA at the moment, and had to hunt for it myself. Autobarn supposedly stock it, but I only found one pack. If you go to the Nulon website, they have a store locator on one of their sub menus.Yeah, I used their 'Store Locator' and got stuff all results. Autobarn has been mentioned I'll give them a go. Thanks!And on Loopism's data there I'd be very interested to hear where that heads - I've got no idea what temp's oil gets too.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now