bugster70 Legacy Donating Member 1,326 Member For: 21y 4m 28d Location: Canberra Posted 15/11/06 12:36 AM Author Posted 15/11/06 12:36 AM You could go to a wrecker or get your hands on a replacement RCM and sensors for the B pillars, then you would have functioning side airbags no?←Well, I wouldn't even have to do that if it's actually possible to change RCMs - I could just swap my RCM for the one in the car that now has my seats! From what FORDTECH was saying, I'm assuming the sensors are already in the B pillars and that it's just the RCM causing the problem. The question is whether it can be changed over or not.
FORDTECH Member 383 Member For: 23y 4m Location: On the edge Posted 15/11/06 12:58 AM Posted 15/11/06 12:58 AM You could go to a wrecker or get your hands on a replacement RCM and sensors for the B pillars, then you would have functioning side airbags no?←Well, I wouldn't even have to do that if it's actually possible to change RCMs - I could just swap my RCM for the one in the car that now has my seats! From what FORDTECH was saying, I'm assuming the sensors are already in the B pillars and that it's just the RCM causing the problem. The question is whether it can be changed over or not.←Nothing ventured,nothing gained.You will have to fit the side impact sensors though(not 100% sure that the connectors will be there though).Also the module isn't that easy to get to either.Mounts on the centre hump under console.You need to actually remove dash assy to get it out though.
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 6d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 15/11/06 01:00 AM Posted 15/11/06 01:00 AM Ask Ninka about that one! Apparently it's not that hard to do...
bugster70 Legacy Donating Member 1,326 Member For: 21y 4m 28d Location: Canberra Posted 15/11/06 01:00 AM Author Posted 15/11/06 01:00 AM Nothing ventured,nothing gained.You will have to fit the side impact sensors though(not 100% sure that the connectors will be there though).Also the module isn't that easy to get to either.Mounts on the centre hump under console.You need to actually remove dash assy to get it out though.←Ouch, sounds like a lot of hassle. Many thanks for your advice mate, I really appreciate it.
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 6d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 15/11/06 01:04 AM Posted 15/11/06 01:04 AM http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.ph...topic=26015&hl=
bugster70 Legacy Donating Member 1,326 Member For: 21y 4m 28d Location: Canberra Posted 15/11/06 01:08 AM Author Posted 15/11/06 01:08 AM Thanks for the link, but that sort of stuff looks like it's waaaay outta my league! It's also the only car we have and, with two young daughters who need ferrying around seemingly constantly, I'm not sure I could afford the time for a job like that. Might just have to take the easy option for now and retrieve my resistors...
bugster70 Legacy Donating Member 1,326 Member For: 21y 4m 28d Location: Canberra Posted 17/11/06 02:40 AM Author Posted 17/11/06 02:40 AM Just an update on what the situation is, for those that are interested.Unfortunately, despite being told otherwise by several seemingly reliable sources (including some Ford techs), it would appear that not all cars have the same wiring loom (or at least not the same wiring in certain parts of the car). I took off the B pillar trims and there was absolutely nothing there except an empty 'cradle' where the side airbag sensor should have been located. I have an electronic copy of the workshop manual and looked up the relevant section (501-20b) so knew exactly what I was looking for.I was half expecting not to see the sensor in any case, so when I saw that that was missing I really didn't worry too much. However, the worst part is that there is no aditional wiring in the B pillar at all! I was hoping to see some wires with, at worst, some electrical tape on the end and, at best, with a connector that didn't plug into anything.So, as FORDTECH initially recommended, it does indeed appear that my best bet is to retrieve my resistors and plug 'em into my new seats so that the car thinks it isn't equipped with side airbags. Seems a crying shame, but short of doing a fair bit of additional wiring (at a minimum), I think this is my only realistic choice.My sincere thanks to all those that have offered advice and tried to help (with a special thanks to Ninka for taking the trouble to actually call me and explain a few of his thoughts), it's very much appreciated and, IMO, represents the very best of what this forum is all about! Cheers guys!
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 6d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 17/11/06 03:02 AM Posted 17/11/06 03:02 AM Maybe it is tucked into the loom that runs along the side of the car? It would almost be worth getting an eleco to wire a couple of sensors in for you, shouldnt cost too much.
bugster70 Legacy Donating Member 1,326 Member For: 21y 4m 28d Location: Canberra Posted 17/11/06 04:43 AM Author Posted 17/11/06 04:43 AM Yeah, I'm not sure how feasible that is without knowing a lot more about it eg. whether it's as easy as just 'connecting into' the existing wiring, whether the RDC will need replacing too (as per FORDTECH's earlier advice), etc, etc. For now, the short term fix is to put back the 'blanking' resistors. The good part about that is it is totally reversible if I do choose to try and have the side airbags wired in at a later date.
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 6d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 17/11/06 04:54 AM Posted 17/11/06 04:54 AM Yeah of course, now you have the option If/when you get some spare time I would get someone to fit it up for you so that way it will be warranted and if something doesnt work when it's supposed to you are covered.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now