Modification Options

cdm

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 1d

The little cooler with the fins on it under the intercooler is for the power steering. The trans fluid cooler is built into the radiator on the BA the same as the AU, pre AU cars had a separate trans cooler.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• My new toy
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5d
The little cooler with the fins on it under the intercooler is for the power steering. The trans fluid cooler is built into the radiator on the BA the same as the AU, pre AU cars had a separate trans cooler.

The turbo has an extra cooler for the power steering up the top behind the grill which is hooked in series to the lower one.Ian

• Member For: 21y 2m 22d

Ok I have been reading this thread over the months and was interested in the bit about Rob Herrod discussing internal mods for a customer before he starts increasing boost.

This morning I was at my Dealer having a chat about this and that and the subject of mods came up. The service manager stated that he knew of one T that had been piggy backed to 9 pounds and had "blown its internals to bits".

He went on to state that in order to fiddle you need to start with rods, pistons and valve springs. His words were " big modifications are needed".

Well that's good enough for me, seems that Rob Herrod was right on the money again.

So we have all been warned.

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 17d

Henry> funny that several people have been running 9psi and above for quite some kms and haven't yet had a problem with the bottom end - certainly not going to argue with the fact that you could make the bottom end stronger but just questioning the cost benefit unless you are chasing 500 hp ??? - valve springs however are a known issue, even on the atmo engines, so that seems to be a luck of the draw thing if you got a bad set of springs in your motor. I believe the springs have had a production line upgrade to ensure no new motors will suffer the prob.

Guest Mr Walker
  • Guests

Hey Henry, heard of any standard cars that have "blown their internals to bits"? - There's probably as many standard cars as modified ones that have blown up.

There's plenty of cars running around on nine psi without any problems.

If you want to go ballistic and run around 20psi then its a different story but the std internals should handle moderate increases in boost.

And what sort of authority on modified cars is the average service manager? - most of them would have no idea.

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 17d
I got a good idea, why doesn't someone hang a T72 off the side of an XR8!!!

sorry, I'm just bored....

Dave.

Because you aren't allowed to drive with things hanging out the side of your car .... heheheh.

• Member For: 21y 1m 2d
I got a good idea, why doesn't someone hang a T72 off the side of an XR8!!!

sorry, I'm just bored....

Dave.

Because you aren't allowed to drive with things hanging out the side of your car .... heheheh.

Very true. I got pulled over last time I had the missus hanging out the side of the car, nothing ofcourse to do with me pushing her out at the time. :oops:

Guest bad xrt
  • Guests

Hello people,Going to work this morning I noticed that my engine light came on while I had it underload in 3 gear auto.But there was no power loss of any sort or any strange nioses.But when I took my foot off the throttle the engine light went off!It happened on a few occasions but still no power loss etc.Rang the dealer to book it in for a check up.Has anyone else experienced this problem?