aniken I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it Legacy Donating Member 4,316 Member For: 23y 9m 8d Gender: Male Location: Sydney, south west Posted 10/08/06 01:30 AM Posted 10/08/06 01:30 AM If you're buying a new car, do you reckon it is a disadvantage if you don't have a trade-in to negotiate around? Does it make any difference? Is it actually much easier? Should I have started another poll?
turbotom Team Bute Legacy Donating Member 1,550 Member For: 23y 2m 13d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 10/08/06 01:45 AM Posted 10/08/06 01:45 AM much much easier to negotiate without a trade in.You know exactly how much you will pay for it.But trying to sell your car privately can be a headache!What you think yours is worth, and what people are prepared to pay, can be a big gap I got what I thought was an exceptional deal when I bought the ute.Very happy. Problem was, I couldn't get the money I wanted privately for my Supra.In the end, I traded the Supra 6 months later with my wife's Calais , when we bought two new Mazdas for the her and my daughter.If you've already got a buyer for your car, then it's a no brainer.tom
Macktheknife Xtreme Xalted Member Legacy Donating Member 3,112 Member For: 23y 4m 22d Gender: Male Location: BrisVegas Posted 10/08/06 03:50 AM Posted 10/08/06 03:50 AM Definatly a DISADVANTAGE to have a trade.You will get more for your car privately 95% of the time.People trade just because it's less hassle.When I sold my T, I got $25K for it. Trade valuations ranged from $17-$22K.Your car should do alright because of of the popularity of small cars now.Be interesting to see what you are offered as a trade.
ms700 Moderating Team 10,170 Member For: 23y 7m 28d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 10/08/06 04:36 AM Posted 10/08/06 04:36 AM Should I have started another poll?←Yes, you should have. Gets Dags or Saleen to help you if you haven't done on before. Seriously, you are much better off selling your car privately if you can. You will just about always get more for it privately.Even when we sell trade-ins onto wholesalers, we still make a bit out of it, that's because most dealerships give you mcfcuk all as a trade. They still make money on trade ins, no matter what they tell you.
Fat-Tony Legacy Donating Member 5,364 Member For: 20y 6m 7d Posted 10/08/06 04:53 AM Posted 10/08/06 04:53 AM Dont trade sell privatly. It costs money to keep your traded car on a yard and to sell it, that comes of the value of the trade in, not to mention the fact that they have to make money on your car. Recent example of my own. Owned a jeep wrangler for 7 months before I traded it on the ford (couldnt sell it privatly) I paid 35k for that car new, got 21k as a trade. Got a good deal on the T but that's a diff issue aside. Now I drive past the dealer 3 days later cars there on the lot for 28k. I couldnt believe my eyes, I couldnt even sell it for 25k.
bugster70 Legacy Donating Member 1,326 Member For: 21y 4m 25d Location: Canberra Posted 10/08/06 05:21 AM Posted 10/08/06 05:21 AM I agree with all the others, definitely a disadvantage to have a trade in. A big pro of the trade in approach is that it's quick, easy and relatively hassle free, but the guys know that and you really do end up paying dearly for it. If you're up for selling your car privately then you're much better off doing so.
FPV TRANNY Im the one and only Legacy Donating Member 3,557 Member For: 21y 8m 20d Gender: Male Location: In my house Posted 10/08/06 05:27 AM Posted 10/08/06 05:27 AM Im selling my car privately and will be buying our next one through wholesale auuctions.I ve already had calls from people trying to buy mine wholesale they can get stuffed.Already burnt $30+k on my T ,so I will be trying to get as much as I can back.I wont trade
nang3 12" member Legacy Donating Member 2,107 Member For: 21y 3m 4d Location: Perth WA Posted 10/08/06 05:28 AM Posted 10/08/06 05:28 AM yeh dealers love to rip you a new un when it comes to trade.. I was offered as low as $34k on a 1.5 yr old 350Z that should have been about $72k rrp brand new, but cost me about $62-64k.. ended up selling it privately for about $50k even..
aniken I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it Legacy Donating Member 4,316 Member For: 23y 9m 8d Gender: Male Location: Sydney, south west Posted 10/08/06 06:50 AM Author Posted 10/08/06 06:50 AM I should say I don't actually own the Focus - its leased, so I'll just be giving it back (with the option to buy at wholesale price if I want, but no obligation). If I don't get a new leased car, I will be in the market to buy soon(ish). I was just wondering if that places me at a disadvantage in the eyes of a dealer - ie, they can't screw me on a trade-in, so maybe they won't discount as much on a newy.
Falchoon I see red Member 5,758 Member For: 23y 9m 11d Location: nowhere in particular Posted 10/08/06 08:31 AM Posted 10/08/06 08:31 AM maybe they won't discount as much on a newy.Depends on what sort of car you want to buy. If you want a VZ or BF they should be willing to do a deal because new models are due out soon (may still be a little early for "deals" though, their pencils will be sharper when the new model is actually here). But if you wanted a new XR5T then I doubt any dealer would discount because there is a waiting list for them.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now