Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Flower Power
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 17d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

What are the standard brakes like on the XR6Turbo?

I am thinking of buying one early - mid next year..

I'm a very heavy brake user, especially with a car the size and weight of the new XR6T.

Is there any fade?

How bad is it?

How much do new brake pads cost? (including install)

How much do heavy duty pads cost?. (including install).

How bout the premium break package, how much better are they than the standards?

How much do the premium pad's cost ? (including install).

So far I have been installing brake pads myself, but have not had a car with ABS, so I don't know if it's any different.

Thanks :)

  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest mhumps
  • Guests
Posted

Hi Cro, I'm one of the sales team at City Ford in Crown Street Sydney. I'll try to check on these costs for you asap through our spare parts dept. With regard to ABS, the brake pads and calipers are basically the same as any other disc brake, so it's not really any different to change them. The new brakes are however designed with a much larger pad surface so they will last a lot longer than older Falcon brakes and will not tend to fade as quickly. The premium brakes are very good, but you probably won't need them unless you are doing track work. They are a $3,000 (approx) option. Drop me a line if you need any other info.

  • Flower Power
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 17d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

mhumps, Thanks for the reply.

About the brake fading, I don't mean wearing out over time, I mean doing some very hard stopping for about 10 mins (racing conditions), and then feeling the brakes are no where near as effective as they were before the hard braking started (if that makes any sense).

I recently took the Subaru Liberty B4 for a test drive, after 2 hard stops (from about 140km/ph) the brakes heated up so much the stopping power was pathetic.

I need to test drive an XR (Turbo, No Turbo, 8, doesn't matter which one as long as it's a XR) with standard and premium brakes. To see which one is best for me, is there a possibility of this happening?

  • The Noble Leader
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 23y 11m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney Australia
Posted
I recently took the Subaru Liberty B4 for a test drive, after 2 hard stops (from about 140km/ph) the brakes heated up so much the stopping power was pathetic.

Why do you need stopping power like that? I think im Sydney conditions you wouldnt need to have high performance brakes unless you were going to be racing all the time...

  • Flower Power
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 17d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

Not all the time.

It's nice to know it's there incase it's needed.

Guest DZ.
  • Guests
Posted

Last time I needed that stopping power was up in the NT when I was doing 180 around a bend to find a road train doing 30. If you know the scene in The Empire Strikes Back when the Millenium Falcon is trying to jump into hyperspace but just shakes, shudders, and does the "I'm breaking" sound - that 's what the car sounded like! :D

  • some guy...
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 14d
Posted

having driven a BA with stock brakes, I don't think you'll have too many problems with them. they are MUCH better than AU brakes.

Guest D_XR6
  • Guests
Posted

Apparently the new brakes are much better than older models. I upgraded my brakes as I occasionaly do track days with my car club. I wouldn't think that you need to change them unless doing the same, in which case the premium brake package is about the same price as going aftermarket. Cebco have AU upgrade kits that cost about $3000 and you could never want anything more out of your brakes.

  • 4 weeks later...
Guest pmacleod
  • Guests
Posted
I recently took the Subaru Liberty B4 for a test drive, after 2 hard stops (from about 140km/ph) the brakes heated up so much the stopping power was pathetic.

Why do you need stopping power like that? I think im Sydney conditions you wouldnt need to have high performance brakes unless you were going to be racing all the time...

You can NEVER have enough brakes, and if you plan to mod your car (as I do) you should get the best now. It's harder and more expensive to do later.

Speaking of the premium brake package, what exactly is involved ? Bigger rotors ? Slotted or cross-drilled ? 4 piston front calipers ? Nobody seems to know....

Cheers,

Paul.

Guest pmacleod
  • Guests
Posted

Hi All,

When I order my XR6T I'm going to get the premium brake package, because you can never have enough brakes. However, I'd like to know what the hell is in there ? Sales guys I talk to on the phone don't seem to know ("Yeah mate, it's got all that stuff you just asked about. Mate !") and the newfalcon.com.au web site has bugger all information. Anybody ?

Cheers,

Paul.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...