Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 5d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 28/07/06 06:39 AM Posted 28/07/06 06:39 AM Just the ICC amp... the problem with controlling bass through the ICC is that same bass also goes to all the speakers... and anything above 21 with 3/4 bass boosted is just distortion city. Its even worse with loudness on.
RAP1D Member Legacy Donating Member 3,739 Member For: 20y 4m 9d Gender: Male Location: Sydney NSW Posted 28/07/06 07:16 AM Author Posted 28/07/06 07:16 AM Just the ICC amp... the problem with controlling bass through the ICC is that same bass also goes to all the speakers... and anything above 21 with 3/4 bass boosted is just distortion city. Its even worse with loudness on.←Dude, that's totally incorect. The front and rears have a high pass crossover point of around 100hz which means the bass can be FULL and vol at 25 and there's no distortion issuesI did find however, while installing my subs/amp that without the standard sub amp plugged in the main speakers crossover was diasbaled resulting in what you mentioned above.I'd say on BA systems without the stock sub/amp then you would be corect, but mine, the premo, is different.
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 5d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 28/07/06 07:19 AM Posted 28/07/06 07:19 AM Well I guess I was totally correct then... I can only comment on what I have and that's the box standard crap stereo... and when you turn that mofo up it distorts like a b!tch
tab Sucker Moderating Team 32,303 Member For: 22y 5m 4d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 28/07/06 07:21 AM Posted 28/07/06 07:21 AM Well I guess I was totally correct then... I can only comment on what I have and that's the box standard crap stereo... and when you turn that mofo up it distorts like a b!tch←I feel your pain brother
Fat-Tony Legacy Donating Member 5,364 Member For: 20y 6m 8d Posted 28/07/06 07:23 AM Posted 28/07/06 07:23 AM the stock stereo is the same unit as a premium ICC, only diff is the sub outputs. Stock speakers are shyte and they distort real easy, the stock icc aint to bad when you run the right equipment to clean it up alittle
RAP1D Member Legacy Donating Member 3,739 Member For: 20y 4m 9d Gender: Male Location: Sydney NSW Posted 28/07/06 09:13 AM Author Posted 28/07/06 09:13 AM Ok, so we can agree that without the premo crossover circuitry it'll saound really crap, but with it and upgraded speakers and big subs its all smiles.
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 5d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 28/07/06 09:36 AM Posted 28/07/06 09:36 AM
bob^ Member 170 Member For: 22y 10m 26d Location: Geelong Posted 28/07/06 11:35 AM Posted 28/07/06 11:35 AM (edited) Dude, that's totally incorect. The front and rears have a high pass crossover point of around 100hz which means the bass can be FULL and vol at 25 and there's no distortion issuesImpossible for the fronts to have a HPF of 100Hz. My old line out converter was running off the front speakers, and I had sub-bass (plenty of it too).Using your example, bass should have been almost non-existant. Even a shallow 6dB/octave filter would significantly lower the sub bass output. in my setup. Edited 28/07/06 11:36 AM by bob^
PepeLePew Uncle Bulgaria was gender challenged Member 208 Member For: 22y 5m 9d Gender: Male Location: Gawler Posted 28/07/06 11:38 AM Posted 28/07/06 11:38 AM Could always buy an Audiocontrol EQX or the like....not only will it boost your voltage but give you plenty of EQ and crossover functionality as well Ah those were the days when I used to monkey with that stuff
shockF6 Legacy Donating Member 478 Member For: 20y 11m 25d Location: Melbourne Posted 28/07/06 11:58 AM Posted 28/07/06 11:58 AM Thanks for the offer shockF6 but Im in sydney.Yeah, there's no reason why the ICC cant sound as good as any other normal CD payer, mines sounds very good and that's just with up graded splits and subs/amp.I just want to get the voltage up for the sub amp.How it is now, I have the gain at max, 40Hz gain on 6dB and the bass on the ICC set to around 3/4. On big dance/bassy tracks its awesome, easilly turning the JLs inside out. But on tracks that have more "normal" bass levels I have to turn the bass to full and its just not enough bass. So more voltage would be perfect.I have a tiny tiny bit of alt whine but its not worth worring about.On a side note, whats powering the front and rear speakers? Is it just the ICC built in amp(s) or is there a separate pwr amp somewhere?←I laughed when I read the part about the tiny bit of whine . but you are correct, you wont need to worry about that (until you get a amp for you main speakers) . anyway, the board I have can give you over 8V peak to peak into your sub amp from the 0.5V ICC preout so it will solve your problem and you will be very happy with it.The issue im having is with the main speaker amp and its all whine related. with the engine off its awesome , the sub issue I was having is now fixed. the problem was that I was running my sub amp on zero gain, zero bass boost and 60hz low pass and I was getting clipping at 25 on the dial when the mains still had some to go.Ive fixed it by backing the signal off to around 4V into the sub so ive now got more control to level it trough the gain control. I suspect that this is more of an issue of the response amp that im running and im sure that a better power amp could handle the 8V input signal much better.Ill cost up what the preamp cost me to make if your interested in one as you dont have to worry about the whine through a sub. and after my tests today is going to be a fair bit more complicated to fix the whine on the main speakers as what I did in my test removed the whine but killed the sound quality.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now